Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m205 for black 997

Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 PM
mercman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default m205 for black 997

Doing lots of research online to help remove some of the swirl marks on my black 2010 997. I'm leaning towards M205 with my DA polisher with a lake country orange pad. Wondering if anyone has any similar experience or results? Open to ideas, i have limited experience with a DA but lots of experience washing and detailing cars.

Thx,
Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Have you checked out the detailing forums like Auto Geek or Autopia as they have the latest info on this stuff? I am a Menzerna guy so cant comment on the Megs stuff but start with the least abrasive stuff first and a relatively soft pad and move up from that if it doesnt do the job. I thought orange pads were a pretty stiff (ie high cutting) pad but maybe thats changed. I only use my LC orange pads for pretty major paint correction
Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here.. but you will need m105 and m205 to refine it.. .205 is a finishing polish
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

As crazy as it sounds, the Turtle Wax Jet Black kit with the black tinted polish, detailer spray, and wax do a phenomenal job on black.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:52 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I'm a big fan of Obsessed Garage. So I tend to follow Matt's recommendations. For a 1 step clean up, I think you need to check out 210. It will finish better than 205. If you want more polishing on the finish, try Sonax Perfect Finish. You can use both on a polishing pad.

Cw
Old 04-11-2019, 10:09 AM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The 205 is a finishing polish so it may not be aggressive enough. The Meg's Ultimate Compound is a good mid-aggressive product. I'm also a fan of the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

I keep it easy.... real easy. Too difficult and I won;t do it.

Cable Porter Orbital ( i burned out two Pep Boys cheapies.. not worth it), using a simple terry pad that you can buy by the the bag. No special pads... blah blah blah.... Then I found the holy grail, the magic elixer, the fountain of auto youth.....

BLING ~~ Meguires Ultimate Compound (not the Polish)" ~~ BLING!

I found anything less aggressive is just too much work....M205 .... not aggressive enough. You can control Ultimate Compound from your orbital. The less aggressive stuff just takes too much work. M205 is not bad.. all Meguire's products are excellent in my experience. But the Meguires Ultimate Compound will work for just about anything and you can control it... don't fear it. Further, I found those spider swirls are deeper than you think and frankly, I don't want to stand there all day going over the same area getting the mirror I want.

I use this with my Porter Cable orbiter and have for years. Then I put the shine on with Zaino. I find it the easiest of all polishes to work with.... fast, and fairly idiot proof.

I like Meguires Ultimate Compound for a few reasons. 1), it does not contain any physical abrasives like silica or other metalic powder so you don;t have to finish the polishing with a milder product 2) it will cut deeper scratches if you work it harder. 3) you can go very lightly.... it is just a great product for all types of polishing.... and leaves a mirror behind. It also buffs off very easily unlike those 3M products that set up like plaster. 4) it really is easy to work with and way easier than other polishes. Then finish up with your favorite wax or polymer .... I am a Zaino fan.

Note: I hate... yes hate.... any polish that has oils or other glossifiers in them... If you wax on top of them, the wax won't stick and the whole thing evaporates away in four days.

Myths:
- When using an orbital you can "burn" the surface.... BS... maybe so but you have to be a moron.
- Compounds cut deeper than polishes.... this is true as the word compound is reserved for stronger materials, however this Meguires stuff if fantastic in that you just go lightly with your orbital, wipe off and check your work. Unlike other products, you can really control the polishing action... and even if you go hard, it still is not that aggressive like other compounds.
- Don;t do this often as you will wear your paint away... this is true, but if you objective is eliminating those spider swirls, then you can use this product a few time a year without issue.

How do I know? Here is my 2000 Boxster S with around 150-175K miles on it.... most original paint except for front bumper and front hood. On this car, I wore out two! Pep Boys cheeepie orbitals before I purchased a real tool, the Porter Cable. I just put a terry cover over the tools sponge wheel.

Click here and be amazed..... https://goo.gl/photos/ZGT3hnmom5jQm2Lj6 150K miles of orbital polishing on mostly original paint.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
As crazy as it sounds, the Turtle Wax Jet Black kit with the black tinted polish, detailer spray, and wax do a phenomenal job on black.

Yes i have tried this as well and it does work pretty impressively
Old 04-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mercman
Doing lots of research online to help remove some of the swirl marks on my black 2010 997. I'm leaning towards M205 with my DA polisher with a lake country orange pad. Wondering if anyone has any similar experience or results? Open to ideas, i have limited experience with a DA but lots of experience washing and detailing cars.

Thx,
We do constant testing with abrasives and different pad combinations, and the best results have always come from use Rupes Yellow Foam pads, along with Sonax Perfect Finish. While Meguiar's has a large pull in the industry, their abrasives tend to cause more issues than deliver good results. Specifically, M205 contains filling qualities that will fill imperfections rather than properly polishing away the imperfections. You will finish polishing your car and think it looks great, only to see the swirls and scratches re-appear down the road because the fillers have worn away.

Check out the video below for how we advise our customers to polish their vehicles and get the best results, using great products.

HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I took in my black car in pretty poor condition (for 39k miles and living a garage life). I started with a strip/ clay and decontamination, Meguires 105 w/ microfiber pad to cut/correct, finished with some Jescar Finishing Polish on a foam finishing pad, and then sealed and coated the car with CQuartz ceramic coating. My thread has some after results, but I will see if I have a better comparison. This was very effective in correction 98% of issues. The deeper stuff will need a wet sand, eventually, but I am very happy.

Worth noting, I'm no professional, but have had some great results on several cars over the last 10 years of detailing. I use Griots Garage Orbital for all my work- little more umph than the PC.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:39 PM
mercman
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thank you for all the replies. I did also research a bit on auto geek and found a good post of someone who used 205 and the orange lake country with good results. However, looks like I should reconsider. Lots of differing opinions on pads etc. and easy to get confused.

Appreciate all the insights folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: m205 for black 997