Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does a car need a PPI if i get it from a porsche dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 PM
drmain1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default does a car need a PPI if i get it from a porsche dealer?

Let me know what you guys think about this, in general, I don't like super low mileage vehicles, but the price isn't outrageous, it's at a Porsche dealer, should i bother taking it somewhere else for PPI ?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I would. Porsche dealers are no better than any other dealer...they don't fix anything, just replace it.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes
Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 PM
drmain1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the car says it was inspected by their porsche mechanics, should i try to request the documentation or better bring to private shop? The car only has 27k miles.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:37 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Others may disagree, but here is my take on the PPI or No PPI - That is the question!!

I don't believe in absolutes. It all comes down to your personal tolerance for risk as well as the risk of the specific vehicle you are interested in purchasing.

I have done PPI as well as skipped PPI's.

I found out after delivery (out of state deal) that the PPI was not comprehensive. I ended up being surprised by a few small items that cost me money out of pocket. PPI thoroughness can be a mixed bag.

As a general rule of thumb, a shop will charge 3 hours labor. If a PCar dealer performs the PPI, it will mimic the CPO inspection.

I chose to skip the PPI on my last purchase. My biggest concern was accident history and not mechanical issues as I am going to purchase a Fidelity Warranty. I felt very comfortable with the selling dealer. They also provided paint thickness readings along with a ton of photos, clean carfax, etc. I figured that the $400-$500 for PPI would be better served if used towards the warranty.

Oh, I did not purchase from a PCar dealer. Car came from Field's Bentley/Lambo in Orlando. Field's owns Jax Porsche (Formally Brumos).
Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Depends on the dealer. Keep in mind that a dealer is in business to sell cars and the tech works for the dealer.

Also, is the dealer local or across the country? If it's local and you buy the car, when something turns up that they missed on the PPI, you have a better shot at taking it back and having them fix it. I bought my car several states away. If they missed or fudged something on the PPI, I'll be out of luck.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:24 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
Others may disagree, but here is my take on the PPI or No PPI - That is the question!!

I don't believe in absolutes. It all comes down to your personal tolerance for risk as well as the risk of the specific vehicle you are interested in purchasing.

I have done PPI as well as skipped PPI's.

I found out after delivery (out of state deal) that the PPI was not comprehensive. I ended up being surprised by a few small items that cost me money out of pocket. PPI thoroughness can be a mixed bag.

As a general rule of thumb, a shop will charge 3 hours labor. If a PCar dealer performs the PPI, it will mimic the CPO inspection.

I chose to skip the PPI on my last purchase. My biggest concern was accident history and not mechanical issues as I am going to purchase a Fidelity Warranty. I felt very comfortable with the selling dealer. They also provided paint thickness readings along with a ton of photos, clean carfax, etc. I figured that the $400-$500 for PPI would be better served if used towards the warranty.

Oh, I did not purchase from a PCar dealer. Car came from Field's Bentley/Lambo in Orlando. Field's owns Jax Porsche (Formally Brumos).
when getting a warranty from Fidelity (or anyone), what is the process to ensure that the car doesn't have existing issues? I am sure there is an inspection, but beyond that? The owner might know of potential issues beyond the scope of a PPI. When buying an extended warranty, I have always gotten one on a car with existing (but about to expire) warranty.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
when getting a warranty from Fidelity (or anyone), what is the process to ensure that the car doesn't have existing issues? I am sure there is an inspection, but beyond that? The owner might know of potential issues beyond the scope of a PPI. When buying an extended warranty, I have always gotten one on a car with existing (but about to expire) warranty.
It has been my experience that Fidelity does not require a full inspection of the vehicle. Only validation of mileage.

They build risk into the price of the policy. My car has 18k miles. How often do you find vehicles with 18k miles with significant issues?
Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Caustic
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Always get a PPI. As others in this thread have already said, a Porsche dealer is still a dealer.

While a PPI does not find everything, a good PPI can find things that you might miss. For example, an unreported accident. Good luck on your search.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Other than CPO cars that they certify, not all dealers do PPIs because of liability reasons.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:47 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 158 Posts

I am from the 996;side of the house.....I lurk here to read about bore scoring on 997.1 lol.

Anyway, Ppi can actually save you money.

I bought my 2003 996 this past October at a very large Porsche dealer. 45000 miles.

Phase 1 PPI was completed. Found leaky RMS. Broken seat motor too. I agreed to phase 2 PPI including borescope and leak down.

Full PPI was about $800. PPI quoted $1400 RMS replacement cost.

I reviewed report with dealer. They fixed the seat. I asked them to discount the price of the car by the full RMS replacement cost. I was hoping for 50%. Nope, discounted car by the full $1400. Funded 1/3 cost of having the Solution installed.

PPI was well worth it imho.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:05 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes! I failed to get a PPI but did get it CPO inspected. My car got new front tires to pass the CPO based on tread wear. Once I had the car for a month or so I realized my rear tires should not have passed the inspection due to AGE, which is clearly articulated on the CPO inspection checklist for treadwear and age. I called the dealership in Philly, after consulting with my local dealership, and politely explained this and let them know I would quickly escalate to PCNA.

The Philly dealership worked out a deal for them to pay for new rears to be installed by my local dealership.

TLDR. Always get a PPI, from a different outfit than the seller and also get CPO if you can.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by drmain1
Let me know what you guys think about this, in general, I don't like super low mileage vehicles, but the price isn't outrageous, it's at a Porsche dealer, should i bother taking it somewhere else for PPI ?

I think the thread linked to below will answer your question. It's one of the longest threads I recall seeing on RL (54 pages) but all you need to read is the quotes I pulled from the OP's opening post which will give you all you need to know. Or better yet, open the thread, read the opening post and judge for yourself. If what you read doesn't sound bad enough for a CPO car, also keep in mind that it was sold by one of the most prestigious highest volume Porsche dealers in the US (Beverly Hills Porsche CA). Like they need to peddle and lie about trash like this. This buyer did not have an independent PPI done, thinking the promises made by the dealer along with the CPO should be good enough.

As some of you have seen from another post I took delivery of a low miles, CPO, 2011 GTS last week. Sight unseen but the salesman assured me it was perfect (I traded my F430 and we compared conditions on the 'phone - I was very thorough when explaining the condition of my car).

When the car arrived it was a little more "used" than I expected for the miles - very badly machine polished, dinged rear wheel, weird stain on the rear bumper, both doors dinged on the edges, hood cloth scraped. Weird clutch burning smell too, but that went away.

The paint is down to a point where it can't safely be polished anymore (he showed me the gauge readings and compared them to another car in his shop). Polishing would be at my risk, would probably lead to some respray and would leave the paint so thin it would need to be clear-filmed for eternity. The rear bumper has been badly resprayed (explains the stain and overspray). The wheels have been etched by wheel cleaner (as well as dinged). No suggestion for the door end dings (repaint). No suggestion for the hood (new hood). His quote was the car is poor wholesale, certainly not CPO retail. It's one of the worst he's ever seen.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...oor-car-2.html
Old 04-11-2019, 02:25 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts

From my experience, and the experience of some of my friends and others here, it is always prudent to get a PPI. Regardless of who is selling it, you always want an unbiased 3rd party opinion. Not only did my PPI uncover things that I wouldn't have found on my own, you can almost always cover the cost of the PPI (and probably more) with what they find wrong with the car. Nothing on my PPI deterred me from buying my 997, but I was able to use what they found as a bargaining chip.

Also, this car has been on the market for a while. I would hope they would be willing to work with you if you decide to pursue this one. Good luck.

G
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Yes, have a PPI done so where other then the selling entity.

It's like filing insurance through your own company after an accident where you're not at fault - your company wants to make you happy since you're their customer - the other company wants to put it behind them for as little as possible. The company you take the car to for a PPI is working for you - the selling dealer wants to sell you the car for as much as possible and put as little money into it to do that as possible, especially if you're buying out of state and they know they won't see you again.

Quick Reply: does a car need a PPI if i get it from a porsche dealer?