Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Radio - Repair or Replace (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1136713-radio-repair-or-replace.html)

swftiii 04-02-2019 03:24 PM

Radio - Repair or Replace

Opening topic for 2019 discussion. Car is 2009 CarreraS with Bose and the PCM 3.0 is starting to having some issues...rebooting periodically. So, I see 2 options:

1. Repair the head unit to the tune of about $1k (still don't have Pandora streaming, apple play, backup camera, etc.)
2. Replace headunit using Nav-TV integration for a little more in total all in cost (gets newest technology, backup camera, etc.)

Let the opinions get started. Would love to hear thoughts and experiences by those that have done option 2 with keeping the Bose amp and speakers and if there was any change in sound quality.

Thanks,
-Skip

vern1 04-02-2019 06:46 PM

Skip, there are at least 2-3 very recent threads on this with multi page entries. I think anyone who has an opinion on this topic has prob made it known there. Might want to check those out

Cheers

Bruce In Philly 04-02-2019 07:08 PM

2009 C2S 133K miles

If you change the head unit, assuming you have the Bose premium, you need to replace the amplifier (located under the passenger seat). All speaker cabling for this 5.1 DVDA system terminates under the passenger seat at a processor/amplifier. It speaks a proprietary protocol to the head unit.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

caitov 04-02-2019 08:26 PM

Yep, lots of threads already on this.
But you forgot option #3
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...367100A05.html

:)

dmpslc 04-02-2019 10:11 PM

The PO of the car I purchased recently spent about 2k on a headunit, amplifier, and installation to remove the Bose system.
He did NOT have the subwoofer connected to the system and while it doesn't sound terrible it definitely sounds pretty hollow.
The sub has it's own amp and all it needs is signal from the headunit to turn on - this is a relatively easy thing to splice into the harness and I'll be taking care of that shortly.

I think this is a pretty good route to go...

wc11 04-02-2019 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly (Post 15746694)
2009 C2S 133K miles

If you change the head unit, assuming you have the Bose premium, you need to replace the amplifier (located under the passenger seat). All speaker cabling for this 5.1 DVDA system terminates under the passenger seat at a processor/amplifier. It speaks a proprietary protocol to the head unit.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Not anymore. You can keep the oem amp with fibre optic interface and just change the head unit.
http://www.connects2.com/home/index

http://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT51-PO04

okbarnett 04-02-2019 10:49 PM

theres a shop that repairs. I think ' midwest 'something or buy one on ebay

Petza914 04-03-2019 08:27 AM

Becker audio repairs them I think for about $500, but thought they were in NJ.

JABowders 04-03-2019 10:42 AM

I had just reopened a thread just Monday about the issues I'm having with my 2005 Carrera with Bose and the is updated to PCM 3.0 ...rebooting. Shortly after getting the car a couple years ago I added the Navigation and the LA MOD for the phone Blu-Tooth function and it worked fine for about 6 months then the NAVigation started to drop in and out, so I updated the PCM from 1.0 to 3.0 along with the Maps Set, and it appeared to work fine, then the NAV started to act up again. The Sunday the Head unit it started to reboot... no control function from the unit buttons. So I'm looking into the options as well ... wanting to feel out the community for thoughts and ideas. From what I have gathered no matter what the car will end up at the dealer to reset the PIWIS coding.

As much as I hate the idea, I guess I'm just getting myself psyched up for a $5K repair bill because no matter what I do the dealer will claim they had to replace the entire system because ... "PIWIS coding reasons".

Petza914 04-03-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JABowders (Post 15747856)
I had just reopened a thread just Monday about the issues I'm having with my 2005 Carrera with Bose and the is updated to PCM 3.0 ...rebooting. Shortly after getting the car a couple years ago I added the Navigation and the LA MOD for the phone Blu-Tooth function and it worked fine for about 6 months then the NAVigation started to drop in and out, so I updated the PCM from 1.0 to 3.0 along with the Maps Set, and it appeared to work fine, then the NAV started to act up again. The Sunday the Head unit it started to reboot... no control function from the unit buttons. So I'm looking into the options as well ... wanting to feel out the community for thoughts and ideas. From what I have gathered no matter what the car will end up at the dealer to reset the PIWIS coding.

As much as I hate the idea, I guess I'm just getting myself psyched up for a $5K repair bill because no matter what I do the dealer will claim they had to replace the entire system because ... "PIWIS coding reasons".

My Cayenne PCM 3.0 recently started rebooting every 3-5 minutes, but would only do it if the bluetooth connectivity function was enabled on the PCM. If I turned off that option, it wouldn't reboot at all. Doing some online research of this problem, revealed that updating the software should resolve it and it is caused by the Satellite Radio providers making updates to their system, even though I'm not a satellite radio subscriber. The PCM update solved my issue and now with bluetooth enabled, it no longer reboots.

Do a test to see if your issue is the same. Go into the phone tab, then options, bluetooth, and turn off the bluetooth function. Drive the car a day or 2 if the problem had been very repeatable and if so, see if it no longer happens. Then reenable the BT function and see if if starts doing it again. If so, tell the dealer you only want them to update the PCM software. If you're on the current version, ask them to delete it and reload it. They charged me 30 minutes labor to do this, which was much cheaper than any PCM replacement option.

Good luck.

vern1 04-03-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JABowders (Post 15747856)

And yes i responded to that thread as well. Did you check out the other threads with +20 pgs on this very topic? What questions do you still have?

I dont know about the 3.0 but in replacing my 2.1 there was no dealer coding reqd

swftiii 04-03-2019 12:36 PM

Thanks Petza - I'll give that a try.

JABowders 04-03-2019 01:10 PM

Yes, I have reached out and read the other threads that I could find and chased what seemed like a limitless number of links reaching out to optional units, service locations, etc. The coding has to do with the hardware: for example:
PCM Codes:
SW version 3.0
PCM: 05024AD1 / 0205 ==> Model Level B
System Software: 04514BD1 / 5104
Amplifier: 00017500 / 3504
> Not Expected BUT Found = NAV System: 00179436 / 3306
CD Changer: C38 / 3003
> Not Expected BUT Found = Phone: C32 / 2702

The PIWIS coding would reset the system to Expect the NAV and Phone.

As for disabling the Blu-Tooth, the controls on the Head Unit are unresponsive and since the system does not boot completely I can not interact with the system. I do plan on pulling the unit this weekend and re-seating all the connectors and inspecting the cabling both electrical and optic.

I have the two firmware updates so I could also try doing a reversion back to 2.1 and see if that helps, but without a PCM that boots into an operational state this might be a pipe dream.

But will keep this updated as to what I find

ElectricChair 04-03-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by caitov (Post 15746856)
Yep, lots of threads already on this.
But you forgot option #3
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...367100A05.html

:)

I really like this idea. After installing gundo hack and x-pipes on my 997 I never turn on the radio anyway.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4a397db048.jpg

Skwerl 04-03-2019 03:51 PM

Yeah, that replacement cubby is really cool and I didn't know it existed. I always wish there were a way to get rid of the center stack altogether, and move the climate controls up to the dash like in the air-cooled cars.