Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio - Repair or Replace

 
Old 04-03-2019, 07:05 PM
  #16  
Bruce In Philly
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Bruce In Philly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,273
Default

Originally Posted by wc11 View Post
Not anymore. You can keep the oem amp with fibre optic interface and just change the head unit.
http://www.connects2.com/home/index

http://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT51-PO04
The application guide denotes this is not for 2009 and newer.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly is online now  
Old 04-14-2019, 10:44 PM
  #17  
Olsonxi
User
 
Olsonxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: PNW
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly View Post
The application guide denotes this is not for 2009 and newer.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
But maybe now?

https://cai-store.com/pages/997-987-radio-upgrade-faqs

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120PO9...Interface.html

Last edited by Olsonxi; 04-14-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Olsonxi is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 02:50 PM
  #18  
ekam
User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 738
Default

When I got my car with PCM 3.0 last year, I discovered that the original owner never updated the software or the maps...

Not sure why people neglect it, the PCM is fairly integrated into the car.
ekam is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 03:18 PM
  #19  
Skwerl
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,770
Default

Originally Posted by ekam View Post
When I got my car with PCM 3.0 last year, I discovered that the original owner never updated the software or the maps...

Not sure why people neglect it, the PCM is fairly integrated into the car.
Probably because it costs a trip to the dealership and a few hundred bucks, and most people just use the up-to-the-minute current GPS on their phones.
Skwerl is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM
  #20  
Bruce In Philly
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Bruce In Philly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,273
Default

Originally Posted by Skwerl View Post
Probably because it costs a trip to the dealership and a few hundred bucks, and most people just use the up-to-the-minute current GPS on their phones.
And the updated has been known to fail. I considered an update to my 2009 but figured against it. Someone posted their dealer recommended against it because it can fail and then requires a new head unit. Not good. Besides, I relay on WAZE way more than the car maps and nav.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly is online now  
Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 PM
  #21  
pv355
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 57
Default

The screen failed on my PCM 2.0 head unit, and I replaced it with an aftermarket and MOST HUR device. Coming from PCM 2.0, the new head unit was a huge upgrade, with bluetooth, google navigation, etc. Below is the link about the installation.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...or-less-2.html
pv355 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:00 AM
  #22  
ekam
User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 738
Default

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly View Post
And the updated has been known to fail. I considered an update to my 2009 but figured against it. Someone posted their dealer recommended against it because it can fail and then requires a new head unit. Not good. Besides, I relay on WAZE way more than the car maps and nav.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Not entirely true.

When the update fails, the tech has to restart the update process again which simply takes time. It took my local dealer 2 days to do the PCM update from version 1 to version 2.24.
ekam is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 03:01 PM
  #23  
Skyhawk172
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Skyhawk172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Roseville California
Posts: 434
Default

I have 2009 With the 3.0 PCM that after a long drive and a stop for gas when I restart the engine my radio does not work right it almost sounds like the amp is not working the volume is very low even when the radio is turned up high and the base is over whelming the whole sound.
Skyhawk172 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:24 PM
  #24  
Bruce In Philly
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Bruce In Philly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,273
Default

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172 View Post
I have 2009 With the 3.0 PCM that after a long drive and a stop for gas when I restart the engine my radio does not work right it almost sounds like the amp is not working the volume is very low even when the radio is turned up high and the base is over whelming the whole sound.
Mine has been doing this for a few years. I believe it to be thermal shutdown from overheating... or a weak sensor.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ng-oh-boy.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...o-stopped.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce In Philly is online now  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:35 PM
  #25  
Skyhawk172
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Skyhawk172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Roseville California
Posts: 434
Default

I wonder if my warranty would cover this? On our drive back from San Simeon this weekend the radio did the missing person act half way home and my wife turned to me and said "well it seem we might have to carry on a conversation the rest of the way home" I suggested we roll the windows down and listen to the motor. She was not amused.
Skyhawk172 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:05 PM
  #26  
JABowders
User
 
JABowders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dover, PA, USA
Posts: 109
Default

Just a quick update:

My rebooting came to a sudden stop, just as suddenly as it had started. Over the weekend I went in and replaced the GPS antenna and cable and ....wait for it ... My Navigation is working again.

Wow, who'da thunk it, right?
JABowders is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: