Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Car for sale in the marketplace (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1135806-car-for-sale-in-the-marketplace.html)

sandwedge 03-28-2019 01:15 AM

Car for sale in the marketplace

How the hell do you remove a current car listing from the marketplace? I've spent the past 15 minutes looking for some kind of remove option but the only thing I can find is "mark as sold". The car is not sold. I just don't want it listed for sale in this forum anymore. Any pointers are much appreciated.

rw229 03-28-2019 01:37 AM

I wish I could tell you exactly, but I was able to do it. Check your user profile settings and posts. When I sold my car, the buyer asked me to remove my listing and I was able to, just don't remember exactly how I did it. (it can be done)

Worst case, edit your posts and just delete the content.

dawgcatching 03-28-2019 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by sandwedge (Post 15734253)
How the hell do you remove a current car listing from the marketplace? I've spent the past 15 minutes looking for some kind of remove option but the only thing I can find is "mark as sold". The car is not sold. I just don't want it listed for sale in this forum anymore. Any pointers are much appreciated.

I think you can "edit" the thread, then click "delete thread". I did that with a F/S post: I took the car to a consignor as I had zero interest here. Good thing too: it sold in 2 weeks for $5k more than I was asking here!

RL sucks balls as a sales market

rw229 03-28-2019 02:01 AM

LOL. Yes, RL is definitely an Internet fantasy land compared to the real world. :)

Originally Posted by dawgcatching (Post 15734291)
I think you can "edit" the thread, then click "delete thread". I did that with a F/S post: I took the car to a consignor as I had zero interest here. Good thing too: it sold in 2 weeks for $5k more than I was asking here!

sandwedge 03-28-2019 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by dawgcatching (Post 15734291)

Tried that. Didn't work. I'll try again tomorrow when more alert. As for RL as a sales market....no s**t.

Originally Posted by rw229 (Post 15734300)
LOL. Yes, RL is definitely an Internet fantasy land compared to the real world. :)

That could be said again. I've had two offers that stand out. One read...."would you consider $50K considering the accident"? The "accident" for those who don't already know was a replaced and repainted rear bumper done to perfection and warrantied as undetectable for the life of the car. Porsche CPO's cars with similar repairs without hesitation and without restrictions.

The other was almost identical but from a different member using the same argument.

There are bone stock 2011 C2S's and C4S's with similar miles to mine listed very close to where I've been price wise. Compared to the cars just referenced to, add up the differences between those and what I had for sale. The X-51 kit and the PSE which came with all GTS's, retail for a total of next to $17,000 at Suncoast, the GT2 seats ($12,000 at Suncoast), the Forgeline wheels (close to $7,000 for a set of four) and a customized stock steering wheel and a set of Sharkwerks bypass pipes adding another $2,000 for a total of $38,000 of upgrades, improvements or whatever you want to call it. But these guys think my car should sell at just about a $10,000 discount to a bone stock 2011 C2S with similar miles because of a replaced rear bumper warrantied as undetectable for the life of the car? Yes...I agree this is some kind of version of fantasy land.

To anyone else considering selling their car, I can't for obvious reasons recommend this forum's marketplace. The inquiries from Autotrader have been far more constructive and surprisingly, those who have inquired have been far better informed about the 997, options available/installed and the overall package applying to my car.

bgoetz 03-28-2019 08:36 AM

Just my $.02 so don’t take offense, but I checked out your FS post a while back and I think you had two major things going against you. One you were initially not transparent about the accident, someone had to point it out. Two, the thread that detailed the accident had way more drama than you are describing now, with you having almost the opposite view point to what you are presenting in terms of impact to the cars value. Heck you even mention getting a check for DV.

Again not judging, how people choose to sell things is their business, but i am really not at all surprised the car didn’t sell like you wanted.

mjsporsche 03-28-2019 09:14 AM

n

Originally Posted by bgoetz (Post 15734485)
Just my $.02 so don’t take offense, but I checked out your FS post a while back and I think you had two major things going against you. One you were initially not transparent about the accident, someone had to point it out. Two, the thread that detailed the accident had way more drama than you are describing now, with you having almost the opposite view point to what you are presenting in terms of impact to the cars value. Heck you even mention getting a check for DV.

Again not judging, how people choose to sell things is their business, but i am really not at all surprised the car didn’t sell like you wanted.

I agree.

The facts do not add up about the mishap. For such an inconsequential repair and then receive a sizeable diminished value settlement, it makes me just wonder.

Bash Hat 03-28-2019 11:17 AM

Seems like you’ve had the car listed for sale for a while on more than one site. As much as we love our cars and think we know their value, the market ultimately decides what it’s worth. I think the fact that it’s still sitting in your garage tells us your listing price is too high. No offense intended. For me, aftermarket parts don’t increase a car’s worth. For many it’s a detractor, no matter how nice they are. A lot of folks want Factory originality.

996AE 03-28-2019 11:38 AM

For all the money RL Members want no story cars

Pretty harsh but true.

I sold my last perfect car 10k mi PTS 997 Fidelity Plat car through a consignment shop. Like buying hate selling my toys for some of the reasons you mention.

Iceter 03-28-2019 11:45 AM

RL just has a much narrower reach. Comparing RL to AutoTrader is like comparing a yard sale to Wal Mart.

There are better options for selling cars. It doesn't mean RL "sucks balls".

D1coach 03-28-2019 01:44 PM

FWIW I sold a 997.2S on RL a while back, and received many quality offers from there. It was also listed on Autotrader, from which I received zero inquiries.

street rod 03-28-2019 07:27 PM

I would just leave it up on RL. If you don't like some of the offers you are getting just reject them and wait for the next one. The more exposure the better.

sandwedge 03-29-2019 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by mjsporsche (Post 15734538)
n

I agree.

The facts do not add up about the mishap. For such an inconsequential repair and then receive a sizeable diminished value settlement, it makes me just wonder.

What facts don't add up and it makes you wonder about what? I have explained the circumstances surrounding the bumper job numerous times but I'll do it again. Initially, the hit looked worse than it was and this thread came to mind: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html
As it turned out, the only damage was to the bumper and to the Sharkwerks bypass pipes. Zero frame damage or any other damage other than minor cosmetic inside the engine bay which I will return to later. I learned during the process that the 997 has a steel frame and the 991 a more fragile aluminum frame.

I got a call from the shop owner the day they removed the rear bumper and the bypass pipes confirming that those were the only damaged parts. However, there was a small scratch on a panel inside the engine compartment, apparently from the bypass pipes being bent. This body shop being among the most reputable in my home town, in Southwest Florida and maybe beyond since he had a car shipped from Chicago to his shop, the owner is a perfectionist in the extreme. No car leaves his shop until the repair is undetectable and with a warranty to that effect. So he told me that the only way to paint that scratch properly and make the repair undetectable would be to remove the engine. He felt confident he could get this approved by the insurance company of the driver at fault but just wanted to let me know that he would need the car for at least another 10 days. I told him to go ahead with it. So the car was trucked to another shop where the engine was removed, then trucked back to the body shop and after their work was done, trucked back to the engine removal shop and then back to the body shop again for the bumper and the new bypass pipes installment.

I don't think I need to go into how much expense the engine removal and re installment added to the total tab. All that to properly paint what I understand was a 2" scratch on a panel that's barely visible even if you remove the bumper. But, undetectable is undetectable to this guy. In his mind, if someone removed the rear bumper and saw that scratch they would have to wonder how it got there.

To the diminished value, to file for it was the idea of a certified auto appraiser recommended by the body shop who suggested I contact him since the engine removal and the cost added made this look like the car had suffered much worse damage than was actually the case. The appraiser told me that a bumper replacement (or respray) does not diminish the value of a car since they are considered "bolt on items" as long as the repairs are done first rate. Porsche CPO's cars with bumper jobs. That said, Bob's insistence on removing the engine to do the job right added so much to the total repair bill that he recommended filing for DV. He also pointed out (rightly so going by some comments here) that there are worry warts out there that will insist on a lower price no matter what has been repaired or how well it was done. So he did his job (cost me $650) and I got the amount he arrived at. Are you suggesting I should have turned it down? Would have been pretty stupid given yours and a few other's comments here.

Finally, yes the car has been on the market for 2 months now. Not exactly unheard of for a car in this category and this price point. I've had three offers at full list price, one of them at my initial list price of $69K but they all needed financing which they couldn't get because of poor credit scores. Got another offer last night for full list price of 59,900. Money wired next day, sight unseen. Turned it down after a couple of RL members who's opinions I have a lot of respect for insisted I was borderline giving this car away. They're very familiar with the history of the car and both are of the opinion that the bumper repair is a non-issue given my description of it which is 100% accurate and can be verified by the owner of the body shop doing the repair. https://sarasotabodyshop.com/

Still trying to remove the listing from RL. Will keep it on Autotrader for now but have brought the price back up to 69K. Actually leaning towards keeping it. Drove a 2015 991 GTS last week and walked away underwhelmed.

Sporty 03-29-2019 10:53 AM

Between what you got for the diminished value (how much?) and the $59.9 in the bag -you weren't close to the $69k you were originally asking?

Bash Hat 03-29-2019 11:05 AM

I looked at Autotrader. You're up against cars with 15K-30K miles that are listed around the same price as yours. I know 60K is not a huge amount of miles but that's what's making yours a tough sell. For what it's worth KBB value is $48-$55K. I think you'll be hanging on to it for a while.