997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car for sale in the marketplace

Old 03-29-2019, 01:29 PM
997_4me
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not put the car up for consignment? I would of accepted the $60k since you did get a DV check and technically that is the amount you are "losing." I agree, RL has a lot of tire kickers and bargain hunters
Old 03-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_4me
Why not put the car up for consignment? I would of accepted the $60k since you did get a DV check and technically that is the amount you are "losing." I agree, RL has a lot of tire kickers and bargain hunters
That's for sure, I got tons of interest but everyone wants me to give it away. Keeping mine for now. I really have no reason to sell.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:33 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
For all the money RL Members want no story cars

Pretty harsh but true.

I sold my last perfect car 10k mi PTS 997 Fidelity Plat car through a consignment shop. Like buying hate selling my toys for some of the reasons you mention.
Quoted for truth. Years ago I tried selling my 96 993 C4S on here and it was a truly miserable experience. It was a rare color, full leather, and had 29k miles on it. I wish I kept some of the PM's I received at the time to share as it's hard to convey the amount of lowballing and nitpicking that I got on a no stories car. I recall one that stuck out...."what's the lowest you'd take if you had to set the car on fire" - no joke.

The conundrum with these buyers is they're in fact purchasing a USED car, yet expect yours to be free of the slightest blemish. If you want something perfect and new, any Porsche salesperson is more than willing to sit with you and customize a new order to your heart's content. Never again........
Old 03-30-2019, 02:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
Quoted for truth. Years ago I tried selling my 96 993 C4S on here and it was a truly miserable experience. It was a rare color, full leather, and had 29k miles on it. I wish I kept some of the PM's I received at the time to share as it's hard to convey the amount of lowballing and nitpicking that I got on a no stories car. I recall one that stuck out...."what's the lowest you'd take if you had to set the car on fire" - no joke.

The conundrum with these buyers is they're in fact purchasing a USED car, yet expect yours to be free of the slightest blemish. If you want something perfect and new, any Porsche salesperson is more than willing to sit with you and customize a new order to your heart's content. Never again........
What's been most surprising to me has been the dozens and dozens of questions asking "do you have the stock wheels and the stock seats"? (I don't). This on a forum that has a thread titled "Show me your 997 with non Porsche wheels". That thread has 55 pages, 824 posts and almost 358,000 views as of today and gets new additions almost daily. Add the countless threads about lowering springs/coilovers and all kinds of other mods and you'd think this would be THE place to sell a 997 with some mods including some of the most expensive wheels on the market and ridiculously expensive OEM Porsche GT2 seats. But no.....has to be stock now. Go figure. Removed my listing from the marketplace tonight or removed as best I could. Appears to be no clean removal option so just removed pictures and anything else that could be removed and changed the title to "Not for sale here anymore".
Old 03-31-2019, 01:42 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,412 Likes on 2,687 Posts

I've purchased/ sold many cars on RL over the past 15 years - Lots of my 356's, early 911's, 911sc's, 964's, (3) 993's Most recently (3) 996 C4S's 5/4/3years ago and my 2005 997S 2 years ago. All sold on RL except for one of the 996 C4S's which I decided to list on BAT which went well and I got top dollar.

Selling a P-car is something I'm very good at - I'm a terrible mechanic and use an indy mechanic and I'm a very good driver but my sales ability far exceeds both.
I know you contribute greatly to service/mechanical questions and have been very helpful to a lot of people - So I don;t mean any disrespect whatsoever.

A modded 997 with accident damage needs to be priced accordingly I'm not telling you what to do BUT I would have taken the $59K and moved on - Cars in Florida are not California cars and people know they are subject to the elements and corrode/oxidize in all sorts of areas that California cars don't see. This could also be a reason for the small number of qualified buyers.

Why would u listen to others regarding the asking price of your car when it has sat for so long and you want to get rid of it?
Well priced cars based on their location/condition/mileage/etc sell on RL and do well. They need good photos, accurate descriptions and help to have free and clear titles with no liens.
Cars that start to turn into stories like yours with all the banter about mods/accident/etc just turn people off - And people don't forget..
If I were you I'd call that guy back and get that $59K wired into your account.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I've purchased/ sold many cars on RL over the past 15 years - Lots of my 356's, early 911's, 911sc's, 964's, (3) 993's Most recently (3) 996 C4S's 5/4/3years ago and my 2005 997S 2 years ago. All sold on RL except for one of the 996 C4S's which I decided to list on BAT which went well and I got top dollar.

Selling a P-car is something I'm very good at - I'm a terrible mechanic and use an indy mechanic and I'm a very good driver but my sales ability far exceeds both.
I know you contribute greatly to service/mechanical questions and have been very helpful to a lot of people - So I don;t mean any disrespect whatsoever.

A modded 997 with accident damage needs to be priced accordingly I'm not telling you what to do BUT I would have taken the $59K and moved on - Cars in Florida are not California cars and people know they are subject to the elements and corrode/oxidize in all sorts of areas that California cars don't see. This could also be a reason for the small number of qualified buyers.

Why would u listen to others regarding the asking price of your car when it has sat for so long and you want to get rid of it?
Well priced cars based on their location/condition/mileage/etc sell on RL and do well. They need good photos, accurate descriptions and help to have free and clear titles with no liens.
Cars that start to turn into stories like yours with all the banter about mods/accident/etc just turn people off - And people don't forget..
If I were you I'd call that guy back and get that $59K wired into your account.
Well, to be honest, what gave me second thoughts was the sales guy I talk to at my Porsche dealership. I sat down and talked to him during my last visit trying to get that damn CEL light to clear. Took three visits for them to figure out it was a bad coil. In their defense, the coil was only bad intermittently which made the diagnosis a bit more difficult. It only went bad as soon as I left the dealership and then looked good when I brought it back. Still wonder why the faults weren't stored though and could have been traced that way.

Back to the pricing of my car, my sales guy did a search on Porsche USA of all dealerships in the entire USA as I sat there with him. As of four days ago and same today, there are only three 997 GTS coupe's for sale by Porsche dealerships across the country. He knows about the replaced bumper, the shop that did the work and considers it a non-issue since he said they could CPO a car with that kind of repair. The sales manager has looked at the car and agrees. They had a 997 turbo I considered which is why my car was examined the way it was. Bottom line, the sales guy's opinion is that I'm giving the car away for $59K. Especially with the GT2 seats and the Forgeline wheels. After market items like that aren't for everyone but to some they do add value. So with only three 997 GTS coupes available in the entire country I think I'll just hang on to it. Obviously a sought after car that may have reached the bottom of the depreciation curve or may at least not be far from it.

As an aside I can't help wondering why a few Rennlisters are more concerned about a replaced rear bumper than Porsche dealerships are. To repeat (for the last time), a properly replaced or repaired bumper (front or rear, no quarter panel damage no matter how slight) will not affect the value of the car and Porsche can CPO a car with bumper replacements or repairs as long as all other criteria is met.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:25 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
What's been most surprising to me has been the dozens and dozens of questions asking "do you have the stock wheels and the stock seats"? (I don't). This on a forum that has a thread titled "Show me your 997 with non Porsche wheels". That thread has 55 pages, 824 posts and almost 358,000 views as of today and gets new additions almost daily. Add the countless threads about lowering springs/coilovers and all kinds of other mods and you'd think this would be THE place to sell a 997 with some mods including some of the most expensive wheels on the market and ridiculously expensive OEM Porsche GT2 seats. But no.....has to be stock now. Go figure. Removed my listing from the marketplace tonight or removed as best I could. Appears to be no clean removal option so just removed pictures and anything else that could be removed and changed the title to "Not for sale here anymore".
Have you considered that potential buyers simply don't want those particular wheels or those seats? I don't care how much you paid for those wheels, but I think somebody would struggle to break even on swapping them for something different, not to mention the hassle.
As for the seats, we all know how much they cost, but they are unquestionably polarizing. They don't adjust, they're difficult to get in, etc. There'd probably be people lined up to trade you their stock seats+ cash, so why not do it yourself and appease those interested in having stock parts?
You've obviously modded the car how YOU want, but it's not what everyone wants. I won't nitpick, but there's plenty of mods on the car that would be a hassle to undo or change, especially if the buyer isn't handy or doesnt have the tools.
Personally, the accident doesn't bother me at all, but given the choice between a car with mods I don't want and one that's stock, I'd take the stock one every time.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Well, to be honest, what gave me second thoughts was the sales guy I talk to at my Porsche dealership. I sat down and talked to him during my last visit trying to get that damn CEL light to clear. Took three visits for them to figure out it was a bad coil. In their defense, the coil was only bad intermittently which made the diagnosis a bit more difficult. It only went bad as soon as I left the dealership and then looked good when I brought it back. Still wonder why the faults weren't stored though and could have been traced that way.

Back to the pricing of my car, my sales guy did a search on Porsche USA of all dealerships in the entire USA as I sat there with him. As of four days ago and same today, there are only three 997 GTS coupe's for sale by Porsche dealerships across the country. He knows about the replaced bumper, the shop that did the work and considers it a non-issue since he said they could CPO a car with that kind of repair. The sales manager has looked at the car and agrees. They had a 997 turbo I considered which is why my car was examined the way it was. Bottom line, the sales guy's opinion is that I'm giving the car away for $59K. Especially with the GT2 seats and the Forgeline wheels. After market items like that aren't for everyone but to some they do add value. So with only three 997 GTS coupes available in the entire country I think I'll just hang on to it. Obviously a sought after car that may have reached the bottom of the depreciation curve or may at least not be far from it.

As an aside I can't help wondering why a few Rennlisters are more concerned about a replaced rear bumper than Porsche dealerships are. To repeat (for the last time), a properly replaced or repaired bumper (front or rear, no quarter panel damage no matter how slight) will not affect the value of the car and Porsche can CPO a car with bumper replacements or repairs as long as all other criteria is met.
If your sales guy is such a genius and knows the market so well, why don't you bring your car down there, and (as a test), find a used Porsche on there lot you want to buy and tell him you want to trade yours in toward the purchase - Have him give you a trade in value on your car. Or just have him give you a trade-in value
I would bet heavy he won't come near the $59K
Old 03-31-2019, 03:37 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Also, many rookie Porsche buyers are like sheep - They follow/influenced by the crowd. Really know nothing about buying a car and ask stupid questions.
You can see it with all the Bore-Scoring drama posts as well as the 997 IMS drama - Yeah the problem exists in a very small number but everything gets magnified to the point of drama.
It also helps vendors with their businesses - Total conflict of interest on RL but the vendors/sponsors pay the bills.

The % of these issues w/997 models is far less than issues with other Porsche models especially the 997.1 and .2 PDK issues
For instance the 993 air passages getting clogged requiring complete head job/etc of probably 70% of them.
1989-1992 964 engine leaks requiring engine dismantle and re-sealing of engine on 100% of them
1984-1986 911 Carrera valve guide issues requiring rebuilding the heads on 95% of them.
1978-1983 911sc's head stud breakage requiring head job and replacement of headstuds on 90% of them

Back on subject - Most P-car buyers will be annoying unless that are long time owners who know the model and understand some paintwork or mods like upgraded wheels/etc.
If you word your description properly and avoid long stories/excuses publicly it will help - Speak in private to those buyers who question any aspect of your car.
And don't write a short story when people question you on RL. I know it is hard to refrain from that but anytime people go on and on about a problem or issue with a car it looks weak and suspect - I know you are the last person who would do this BUT these people shopping for your car don;t know you.

If you decide not to take the $59K - Sit back, take a deep breath and remember it is the winter which is the worst time to sell

I would recommend:
Since we are getting close to summer, if I were in your shoes and wanting to sell my car, I would wait until end of May and re-photograph your car with good solid photos unlike the set you have already posted so the photos are completely different - **It also might be a good idea to source stock seats and wheels and replace them - Sell the current sets in car on RL and recoupe your dough
Redo your description completely touching on the accident repairs and explain they were done in a top professional way with no corners cut and excellent/perfect color match.
I would list your car for $64,250 and keep firm at that price point - If you get someone to make an offer close to that # take it and move on.
This way you've given yourself another opportunity to amke a little more cash than the $59K and I think you will find you will get more "real" buyers once the summer approaches.
GLWS and hang in there
Old 04-01-2019, 02:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BillNye
Have you considered that potential buyers simply don't want those particular wheels or those seats? I don't care how much you paid for those wheels, but I think somebody would struggle to break even on swapping them for something different, not to mention the hassle.
As for the seats, we all know how much they cost, but they are unquestionably polarizing. They don't adjust, they're difficult to get in, etc. There'd probably be people lined up to trade you their stock seats+ cash, so why not do it yourself and appease those interested in having stock parts?
You've obviously modded the car how YOU want, but it's not what everyone wants. I won't nitpick, but there's plenty of mods on the car that would be a hassle to undo or change, especially if the buyer isn't handy or doesnt have the tools.
Personally, the accident doesn't bother me at all, but given the choice between a car with mods I don't want and one that's stock, I'd take the stock one every time.
Of course I have but I have also considered that there are now two current threads running on after market wheels (one 56 pages long as of tonight) so even though you're a stock guy, there are clearly a lot of 997 owners who like after market wheels. Same for the seats. You don't like them but I've lost count on the number of inquiries I've received from Rennlisters who already have a car they like and only want to buy my seats. They rarely come up for sale, here, on Ebay or elsewhere but when they do they seem to bring on average $7,000 to $8,000 in short order so just like the wheels, there are plenty of fans out there. Problem is to find the guy who wants the whole package since I'm in no mood to start taking the car apart and ship wheels and seats all over the place. Don't have time for it and with only three 997 GTS coupes available among all Porsche dealerships in the entire USA as of last night it's obviously a rare car and I'm leaning heavily towards just keeping it.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groovzilla
If your sales guy is such a genius and knows the market so well, why don't you bring your car down there, and (as a test), find a used Porsche on there lot you want to buy and tell him you want to trade yours in toward the purchase - Have him give you a trade in value on your car. Or just have him give you a trade-in value
I would bet heavy he won't come near the $59K
Already did that and he didn't come all the way to $59K but close enough. Problem is, the trade I used as a test mule is not a car I want. So given all this, as I said earlier I think I'll just keep what I have. There are hardly any 997 GTS's on the market, I have mine set up just the way I want it so I don't see any upside in selling it at what would amount to a discount to me. Mods of any kinds are not for everyone so a lot of patience is required to wait for the guy who would do what I've already done and get those mods at a 50% discount or better.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

This is so true. Same thing with the “Drive it like you stole it” crowd unless you want to sell. Then the same crowd wants a garaged creamed puff.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:43 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course I have but I have also considered that there are now two current threads running on after market wheels (one 56 pages long as of tonight) so even though you're a stock guy, there are clearly a lot of 997 owners who like after market wheels. Same for the seats. You don't like them but I've lost count on the number of inquiries I've received from Rennlisters who already have a car they like and only want to buy my seats. They rarely come up for sale, here, on Ebay or elsewhere but when they do they seem to bring on average $7,000 to $8,000 in short order so just like the wheels, there are plenty of fans out there. Problem is to find the guy who wants the whole package since I'm in no mood to start taking the car apart and ship wheels and seats all over the place. Don't have time for it and with only three 997 GTS coupes available among all Porsche dealerships in the entire USA as of last night it's obviously a rare car and I'm leaning heavily towards just keeping it.
That's where you're wrong. I do like aftermarket wheels, and I do like those seats. I don't like those wheels and some of the other mods. Admittedly I'm not interested in buying the car, but if you can't be bothered to put the car back to stock despite there being interest in a stock car, and having plenty of fans/buyers for both the seats and wheels separately, you really can't expect somebody else to, can you?
I've modded my own cars and I've bought modded cars, and buying something that isn't exactly what you want is always a crapshoot. It can be more hassle to re-mod or un-mod a car than to start with a stock one.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Maybe those buyers just don't want those aftermarket wheels and seats?

Aftermarket changes are a highly personal thing. If I didn't like what an owner had done, my first question would be to see if he still had the OEM parts.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

When I first found my 2007 C4S in San Francisco, the seller had black Forgestar aftermarket wheels on it and he had sold the original 19" Lobster Forks.
Prior to even thinking about buying it, I put a feeler out and found a local RL member here in Seattle with a professionally refinished set of 19" Lobster Forks that were still at the paint shop.
I just hate black aftermarket wheels on silver or grey cars

One of the only reasons I purchased the car was that a local RL member agreed to hold the 19" Lobster Fork wheels for me until I arrived back to Seattle either with my new car or without.
Very cool of him and just shows the kind of people you meet thru this Forum.
What was also a nice part of the story is that I advertised the black Forgestar wheels on RL for sale prior to even leaving Seattle and found a buyer right away who agreed to purchase them IF PPI/negotiations went well and I bought the car. He also sent me a deposit which he insisted on.

I probably would have passed on the car if those Lobster Forks were't available - The thought of having to find a set, have them shipped then have them mounted and either storing or selling the removed wheels just sounded like a hassle to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car for sale in the marketplace