Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitors install

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitors install

I have a Base 2005 C2 that did not come with TPMS as an option . Does anyone know if the TPM's can be purchased, installed and then be activated by Porsche via the computer settings? thanks in Advance. This should not be an option and should be a standard feature on all cars as it is, to me, a safety aspect/feature IMO.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:59 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

It might be difficult to install afterwards. In addition to the pressure sensors needed for each wheel, signal receivers need to be installed in each wheel well. In addition to any wiring that would be needed I am not sure how one would integrate it with the computer/system. Although I have this feature and constantly display the individual tire pressure while driving my 2008S, for our other cars, I prefer the ABS based systems as they are simpler and no need for wheel sensors. These other cars do, however, have spare tires. Perhaps you can have the car reprogrammed to activate that feature if not already active?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:41 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Do a search because I recall someone added exactly what you want and did a pretty good write up.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the the replies. Search basically turned up that it is pretty much cost prohibitive for OEM. Will have to revert to aftermarket - that would me manually checking them visually and with a gauge. Actually there appears to be some inexpensive wireless aftermarket / simple install TPMS's out there that might be worth a try for the heck of it and my amusement.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

There are sensors that work with bluetooth receiver for aftermarket addition, not seamless like from factory but just the TPMS receiver is like $350 from Pelican, plus sensors, etc. CariD had versions I believe.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:25 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

Are you on Crack ???? Why on earth would you possibly want TPMS .... TPMS is nothing but a $$$$ pain in the *** that will fail and cause warning gremlins until you give in and replace all of them .. They continually go off in cold weather, spare tire warning and calibration issues just to mention a few.

I just bought a new set of tires and rims and the shop quoted me another $350 for an additional set of sensors, assuming i had them and when i told him my car does not have them he said ... Boy you are lucky and said nothing but nightmares with those things.

That's the one thing I will greatly miss whenever I give up my 2006 4s as after 06 those stupid things became mandatory. Count your lucky stars your car was blessed with the"option" of not having those silly things ,

Now go out and buy yourself a good tire pressure gauge and be thankful
Old 03-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check my tire pressures with a quality manual gauge on my 09 C2S before every drive. Of course both front tires should read the same pressure and both rear tires should read the same but higher pressure. According to my manual gauges this is the case but my TPMS disagrees and tells me the rear set of tires are not at the same pressure (right rear vs.left rear) or the front set are different from each other. The pressures also do not agree. Even if the manual gauge was inaccurate when it reads identical pressure for a front or rear set, the TPMS should also read equal pressures irrespective of which set of measurements are the actual pressures. So I have to conclude that the Porsche TPMS is inaccurate, possibly due to low batteries on the wheel sensors. I have found that the tires on my car tend to hold a constant pressure but there must be some leakage.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:55 AM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Biggest pain in the rear answer to a non-existent
issue. What is wrong with a tire gauge? Same as no-key ignition or auto
headlights, no dipstick...
Old 03-27-2019, 08:25 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Are you on Crack ???? Why on earth would you possibly want TPMS .... TPMS is nothing but a $$$$ pain in the *** that will fail and cause warning gremlins until you give in and replace all of them .. They continually go off in cold weather, spare tire warning and calibration issues just to mention a few.

.... Count your lucky stars your car was blessed with the"option" of not having those silly things ,

Originally Posted by ogun228
Couldn't agree more. Biggest pain in the rear answer to a non-existent
issue. What is wrong with a tire gauge? Same as no-key ignition or auto
headlights, no dipstick...
It was the mother's way (big government) of protecting us from ourselves. While it might make sense for the oblivious minivan driving soccer mom crowd, no sports car guy or gal worth his or her salt ever leaves things like tire pressure to chance or some micro chip. You are likely a guy who fusses with your car like the rest of us. Get a guage and fuss away. Those monitors are expensive and a PIA. In fact, I've even soldered together those brake pad wear sensors. I'll check my pads myself thank you.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1

I just bought a new set of tires and rims and the shop quoted me another $350 for an additional set of sensors, assuming i had them and when i told him my car does not have them he said ... Boy you are lucky and said nothing but nightmares with those things.

That's the one thing I will greatly miss whenever I give up my 2006 4s as after 06 those stupid things became mandatory. Count your lucky stars your car was blessed with the"option" of not having those silly things ,

+1

Just one of the reasons I'm happy to have two 05s without TPMS. I don't mind having them in my Cayenne which is our family vacation car and being able to get some notice about a puncture while on a long family trip could have some advantages as far as finding a safe place to pull over and plug the tire or reinflate it.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:17 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

you can have my used set for $40, worked great in my 06 Lexus RX400H
Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Again thanks for the thoughts - sounds like ideally if they worked right they would be useful, but they don't. I do manually check my tires with a good gauge, its just that in my other cars it's nice to see the display and comfort of knowing the tires are being monitored in real time assuming some semblance of its accuracy. Also, in my MB they saved me one time when I hit road debris and immediately saw my tire pressure going down so I was able to pull over to a safe spot to change out the tire, otherwise, I would not have noticed until completely flat and then try to pull across three lanes of high speed traffic with a blown tire. I'll check out that Enklov for ships and giggles for $70 ....

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitors install