Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filled gas tank to the brim, gauge 1 tick below full.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Filled gas tank to the brim, gauge 1 tick below full.

The gas gauge on my 2009 997.2 C2 indicated a level at the beginning edge of the red marks... something that I almost never, ever allow since I fill up at the 1/2 tank level or at the very least where it's barely below that.

Anyway, I filled the tank to the brim (literally) probably caused by continuously having to cycle pumping because of the known problem where the pump kicks off due to back pressure. So once finished I go on my merry way with the knowledge that I now have a bloated gas tank... not a good thing in my book! I glance at the gas gauge and notice that it's indicating 1 tick mark below full which I quickly attributed to the tank sending unit seeking its correct level.

So I drive around a bit to see if the gauge goes to full but it does not. As remedial action I then decide to get on the expressway, head over to the first clover leaf exits and really "get into it" on all four exits. Although it was fun, the gauge still shows 1 tick below full. I've read other post regarding this issue but only found references to C4 cars and degrading batteries... both of which are not applicable to my case.

I'm stumped, so any help or insight would be most welcome and appreciated.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a had some experiences with fuel gauge problems with a few cars ( but not my 911). I had a Ford Taurus (1986)and an Audi A6 (1999) with similar problems. It is generally caused by a problem with the sending unit.During those times, the problem was determined to be caused by a combination of some fuel additives ( from the terminal) with ethanol which resulted in certain deposits forming on the parts of the sending unit. At that time, the auto companies did not know how to resolve the problem and simply kept on replacing the units. This does not really answer your question but perhaps a different fuel retailer if possible. Otherwise one could have the voltage checked on the output of the sending unit. I also found that it was not good to turn the ignition key to "on" until the refueling is complete an the gas cap reinstalled. That can mess it up for a few hours in some cases.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:00 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

try filling with the pump handle upside down until it clicks off. Sometime mine will not say it's full until after the second start (not after re-fill).
Old 03-20-2019, 04:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
The gas gauge on my 2009 997.2 C2 indicated a level at the beginning edge of the red marks... something that I almost never, ever allow since I fill up at the 1/2 tank level or at the very least where it's barely below that.

Anyway, I filled the tank to the brim (literally) probably caused by continuously having to cycle pumping because of the known problem where the pump kicks off due to back pressure. So once finished I go on my merry way with the knowledge that I now have a bloated gas tank... not a good thing in my book! I glance at the gas gauge and notice that it's indicating 1 tick mark below full which I quickly attributed to the tank sending unit seeking its correct level.

So I drive around a bit to see if the gauge goes to full but it does not. As remedial action I then decide to get on the expressway, head over to the first clover leaf exits and really "get into it" on all four exits. Although it was fun, the gauge still shows 1 tick below full. I've read other post regarding this issue but only found references to C4 cars and degrading batteries... both of which are not applicable to my case.

I'm stumped, so any help or insight would be most welcome and appreciated.
Do not overfill as doing so damages the charcoal canister. Do get the dealer-available plastic surround ring to mount on top of the filler neck; I have not had any fill-up issues (in CA with the infamous vapor recovery system).
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 PM
WhipDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I literally just had Porsche Beverly Hills replace my fuel level sender which went wonky on my 2011 997.2 C4S (my first Porsche) two weeks ago. Thankfully it was covered under CPO (yes I know super rare to see a 997 with CPO, purchased the car up in Canada).

The first sign of it starting to fail was upon filling the tank the fuel indicator never went past 3/4-7/8 about 2 weeks ago.

I even ran out of gas in Santa Monica for the first time in my life last weekend. So embarrassing

The 2 parts they replaced were:

997-201-733-00 O-Ring Fuel-L
997-620-833-00 Fuel-Level Sensor

Spoke to all my Porsche friends who've owned the 997's and I'm the first one to experience this issue. My car has 40,000 miles on it.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Filled gas tank to the brim, gauge 1 tick below full.