Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on very low mileage car for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 06:33 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Check tire dates. If they’re original you’ll need 4 new. Even with low miles they age out and 6 years recommended guideline.
Since you'll transport it home this is a negotiating point and certainly safety concern once you start driving it.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Check tire dates. If they’re original you’ll need 4 new. Even with low miles they age out and 6 years recommended guideline.
Since you'll transport it home this is a negotiating point and certainly safety concern once you start driving it.
+1
Old 03-20-2019, 06:37 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Thanks for you opinions everyone, keep them coming. Anyone have reasonable offer suggestions based on this info. Keep in mind the car is in a VERY remote location which will require a PIA air route plus lots of layovers because there are no direct flights except from small regional airports, then a 3 hour drive. This could be a real gem of a car but only if its for the right price. I have a dollar amount in my head but I'm curious what others think?
What is the asking price?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I bought a 2008 997.1 from Porsche car dealership.

As part of the purchase price they agreed to new fluids; brakes, coolant, oil. New tires, TPS and alignment. I did spark plugs when adding Fisters. At 10 years manual called for them.

I was concerned about the low miles and oil leaks, sticky lifters etc... so bought Fidelity Plat. Fidelity paid for Cam cover oil leak, RMS and IMSB seals. 5k worth of work. As soon as I started driving it oil leaks appeared.

Other than that great low mi, PTS car.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,335 Likes on 1,920 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
If the car is that far from civilization, what are the chances the PO is getting the service done at proper time intervals? If it doesn't come with a service history, I'd walk. Miles that low make for problems waiting to happen.
This! Deferred maintenance...10 year old car should have 10 oil changes; 5 brake fluid flushes; drive belt change; plug change; etc...regardless of mileage based on time. What’s the date code on the tires? Sad it was not exercised, but unless it has a stack of on time maintenance I’d pass.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
If the car is that far from civilization, what are the chances the PO is getting the service done at proper time intervals? If it doesn't come with a service history, I'd walk. Miles that low make for problems waiting to happen.
Originally Posted by TXshaggy
This! Deferred maintenance...10 year old car should have 10 oil changes; 5 brake fluid flushes; drive belt change; plug change; etc...regardless of mileage based on time. What’s the date code on the tires? Sad it was not exercised, but unless it has a stack of on time maintenance I’d pass.
We'll never know the details until the OP pulls the trigger. Looking on the bright side, what if he used to race Porsches and wanted to retire to a more peaceful, remote area; far away from any city. What if he had a hanger full of cars with this being one of them. It was barely driven but maintained. No shop service records but everything up to date.

Last edited by DesmoSD; 03-20-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Great advice for not only determining price but also as a safety factor. Many years ago a coworker was considering buying his first Porsche and asked me to take it for an aggressive test drive. The first thing I do before driving a car that is new to me is to check out the tires, and the tires on this car looked perfect. The car was 10 years old but had fewer than 10K miles. So then I wondered if these were the original tires. A quick check indicated that the tires were nearly 11 years old. Driving that car to anywhere near its limits would not have been prudent.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
We'll never know the details until the OP pulls the trigger. Looking on the bright side, what if he used to race Porsches and wanted to retire to a more peaceful, remote area; far away from any city. What if had a hanger full of cars with this being one of them. It was barely driven but maintained. No shop service records but everything up to date.
I like the way you think, I'm trying to think positive also. I suspect it was a summer driver, touring car. Its way out west in the sticks where nothing is close so at least they're not run two miles to the grocery store miles. Likely exercised when it was driven because there are a lot of very long open roads. City driving this is not.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:09 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I like the way you think, I'm trying to think positive also. I suspect it was a summer driver, touring car. Its way out west in the sticks where nothing is close so at least they're not run two miles to the grocery store miles. Likely exercised when it was driven because there are a lot of very long open roads. City driving this is not.
I don't blame you, I'd be optimistic if I found a car that checked all of the boxes and had 8K miles.

Like I've mentioned, my 06 only had 14K. The receipts that were handed over to me were for 3 oil changes and the tint in the 12 yrs that he owned it. The front Michelin tires were from MY 06, the rears were from 2011, the air filter and cabin filter were stamped from 2006, the coolant cap was the 1st version (leaked and had dried coolant on the reservoir), original coolant reservoir tank, and even the front bumper paint didn't have any rock chips or peppering. The brake fluid had 4% moisture and felt a bit spongy, the coolant was still pink, the belt was original but didn't show any signs of cracking, the plugs are original and the transmission had the original fluid; crunchy 1st gear when it's cold.

The PPI mentioned the things that were original and advised to replace. Got 2 thumbs up and the green light. I drove it 1.5 hours from Tustin to San Diego, 11 yr old tires and all. Porsche owners can be OCD worry warts. I'm at 20K miles now. Since taking ownership, I've done the filters, fluids, belt myself, go the version 2 cap, replaced the peeling temp switches with MA carbon ones, had Xpel PPF installed, Eibach springs installed and a fresh set of 4S' mounted. I go on spirited drives up in the canyons on the weekends and the car rips.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

Ok Update. Spoke to the owner at length. Says the car has been at its present location for about 18 months. Has had regular service done at a Porsche dealer outside of Denver. Was just there last summer and had oil and brake fluid changed. OIl changes yearly as well as regular maintenance items such as engine and pollen filters.

Has original tires and drive belt, kept in a heated garage. Driven 800 miles home from Denver in August then parked until now. Started and warmed up 1 a month until winter, then hibernating (I know starting just to warm up not the greatest).
Old 03-20-2019, 11:15 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Where in Idaho?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 PM
fpajonk
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a 2008 base cab with 12,500 miles. The dealer did not disclose service records but confirmed that brakes had been flushed. The rubber tubes for the windshield fluid were leaking everywhere and the dealer fixed it. After that, I immediately changed the belt, sparks, and oil/filter, cabin filter, air filter, front pads, and rotors. The water pump showed signs of leaking and I had it replaced. Had trouble with the soft top and fixing this wasn't cheap.
Rear brakes and rotors are coming up and the coolant tank shows cracks (but no leaks) and will have to be replaced at some point.

Two years and 15,000 miles later I still love my daily driver. Trying to getting more confident doing maintenance myself...
Old 03-22-2019, 02:37 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Ok Update. Spoke to the owner at length. Says the car has been at its present location for about 18 months. Has had regular service done at a Porsche dealer outside of Denver. Was just there last summer and had oil and brake fluid changed. OIl changes yearly as well as regular maintenance items such as engine and pollen filters.

Has original tires and drive belt, kept in a heated garage. Driven 800 miles home from Denver in August then parked until now. Started and warmed up 1 a month until winter, then hibernating (I know starting just to warm up not the greatest).
Buy it - now. Too man worry warts out there
Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't believe in buying low milage cars on cars you intend to use/drive and put miles on.

I know why people do it. But it makes no sense. Unless you are getting it for a really good deal, like the price is a tiny bit higher then what it sells on average, I can't justify it.

Especially if you plan on driving the car yourself and rack up miles.

Or maybe its a unicorn with EVERYTHING exactly how you want it.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:10 AM
jcannon
Banned

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

https://www.goldcoastmaserati.com/in...ac2a90ks149262

Quick Reply: Thoughts on very low mileage car for sale.