Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2: discounts for multiple stories: what do we think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:20 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default 997.2: discounts for multiple stories: what do we think?

Hey everyone,

I found a nice car locally, but it has a lot of carfax dings (4). The first was no big deal (partial bumper respray), but since then, the current owner has taken 3 hits: 2x front bumper, right quarter front panel, and passenger door replacement, and 1x front bumper and 3 wheels replaced. He has only had the car 10,000 miles, but none of the accidents were his fault (according to him). A truck merged onto him and spun him out: a delivery van backed into him in a parking lot, and a driver crossed the center line and sent him off the road.

It is a great build though: low-mileage 997.2 C2S with the right enthusiast options. I figure it is a $51k car without these issues. The owner says he had everything done at the top repair shop in town and has records: there is no frame damage, nothing mechanical.....just cosmetic panels. The car looks great in pictures.

Perhaps the car is just cursed!

Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 289 Posts

If repaired totally properly - I personally might not care, but that would require a thorough inspection/ paint gauge overview.

Having tried to sell my car, and knowing how much of a PITA porsche owners are about every single record/carfax entry regardless of facts, it will be a boon to you in the future to reconcile all those stories. I had people try to lowball me because I have a "minor" carfax record for when the car had to get the front bumper repainted. Give me a break...

For example - also going through diminished value claims with insurance, a ballpark rule of thumb would be that a structural (unibody) accident would reduce value by ~10% (per incident).
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If you were to purchase the car, know what you may face when you come to sell the car. Price accordingly
Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Like a race horse the bloodlines are everything. Bad owner or bad Karma or both? I paid a premium for my .2 C4S because the owner was an OCD collector. Walk away or make him take a huge haircut.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 AM
DaBigBR
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How many other owners? Have you taken it for a PPI?
Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
If repaired totally properly - I personally might not care, but that would require a thorough inspection/ paint gauge overview.

Having tried to sell my car, and knowing how much of a PITA porsche owners are about every single record/carfax entry regardless of facts, it will be a boon to you in the future to reconcile all those stories. I had people try to lowball me because I have a "minor" carfax record for when the car had to get the front bumper repainted. Give me a break...

For example - also going through diminished value claims with insurance, a ballpark rule of thumb would be that a structural (unibody) accident would reduce value by ~10% (per incident).
Unibody: you mean frame damage? I wouldn't touch a car with frame damage, even at 10% off. Quarter panel, bumper, dented door: that stuff is cosmetic as long as there wasn't underlying damage present
Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are planning on keeping the car "forever" or doing some serious mods to it, then this is the type of car you should want to look for so that you can get a discount on it. I completely disagree with a 10% haircut for frame damage... I've seen all sorts of used cars priced 10% or more lower compared to others in the market just for being in an accident let alone a serious one.

Whether we would personally want to deal with lowball offers as a seller is irrelevant. Simple fact is that any asset will only sell when a buyer and seller agree on a number and that is the value of the asset.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:08 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

If your in contact with the owner, have a place that you trust look at the car, if he's honest he will be fine with that. It's your call on if you feel like dealing with it's past, the major roadblocks are carfax or other reports scaring buyer off.

Quick Reply: 997.2: discounts for multiple stories: what do we think?