Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1: Percentage of all engines w/bore scoring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I dont think 10-20% is even in the ballpark. That would be 10-20k 997.1s with rebuilt motors - a $400M rebuild business. To put it in perspective, I believe Flat6 does <40 rebuilds a year...including 986s, 996s, and 997s.

I think its probably closer to 1%. That could be higher (2-5%) for at-risk cars operating in cold climates.

I don't know that there's a way to find an exact or even a close to exact number on this but your figures make sense. 10-20% would just be an impossible number of cars involved that would have made way more news both in main stream media and social media.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:23 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
991.1 are starting to show great reliability signs.
How so?

Also, in regards to scoping during PPI, there was a car for sale here recently where the owner had it scoped before purchasing, bought the car, then had scoring not long after that. This doesn’t help ease one’s concerns during a search unless his/her driving behavior created the problem in a short period of time which seems unlikely.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:56 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Lets get real. Too much anxiety placed on this topic. As mentioned in an earlier post, bore scoring affects a number of Porsche models. And bore scoring is not limited to Porsche brand. And when the 991s start to accumulate miles and years, there will be something with those too.

Will it be a significant cost to repair when bore scoring happens? Sure. But I am not obsessed about it and rather just enjoy the drives. So if it is 1% or maybe 20% of possible failures, it does not mean much to me.
The following users liked this post:
steveP911 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 PM
997_4me
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Lets get real. Too much anxiety placed on this topic. As mentioned in an earlier post, bore scoring affects a number of Porsche models. And bore scoring is not limited to Porsche brand. And when the 991s start to accumulate miles and years, there will be something with those too.

Will it be a significant cost to repair when bore scoring happens? Sure. But I am not obsessed about it and rather just enjoy the drives. So if it is 1% or maybe 20% of possible failures, it does not mean much to me.
This.
Have money set aside for any type of failure so when/if something happens you are well prepared. Another option is getting 3rd party insurance coverage. If the percentages of failure are still too high for comfort or you are constantly worried about it then get rid of the car and buy something that gives you peace of mine. I don't think twice about potential failures.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Ward1
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjsporsche

I agree. I drove 100k miles on a Dodge with scored cylinders. Sounded like a diesel in the morning.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

It would be very difficult to track how many 997.1 had bore scoring since there were some misdiagnosed and/or never reported issues (engine replacements). Keep in mind that it wasn't only 997.1 but also 996 and 987's. Each generation of 911's has had their own set of issue starting with the long hoods to the mid year impact bumper to 964 heads to the 996/997 Turbo and GT3 coolant leak. Even the 997.2's are now starting to report LSPI and bore scoring with faulty injectors. The newer models like GT4/GT3 are having numerous front suspension towers snapping and the 991.1 GT3 engine issue with a warranty valid until 2020.

Last edited by DesmoSD; 03-20-2019 at 02:23 PM.
kimchee411 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

According to what the experts are saying, I think one of the best preventative bore score from happening is to replace your fuel injectors if you have a 997 with over 40k miles. Yes it would be great if we can get a somewhat accurate numbers of bore scoring engines.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
According to what the experts are saying, I think one of the best preventative bore score from happening is to replace your fuel injectors if you have a 997 with over 40k miles. Yes it would be great if we can get a somewhat accurate numbers of bore scoring engines.
Did Jake or someone else specifically recommend this? I gleaned it from some conversations, but did not see this as specifically recommended as preventative maintenance.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:16 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
Did Jake or someone else specifically recommend this? I gleaned it from some conversations, but did not see this as specifically recommended as preventative maintenance.
I think it was Jake that mention about the injectors and instead of rebuilding them he recommends to replace them.
Nanaimo Guy (05-24-2021)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_
Yes in one of his videos there is a great photo showing 6 different injectors and the problems with their spray patterns as they age and how that causes fuel to remain unburnt in the cylinders acting as a solvent to reduce the effectiveness of the oil.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the ballpark cost of replacing injectors from an indy?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

I think that was for the DFI engines.

I could be wrong tho.

Cw
Audidude (04-03-2022)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

LN Engineering has Bore-scoring preventative article on their facebook.
Here is what it says (I hope Charles is okay with me posting this, if not let me know and I will delete it):

Concerned about cylinder scoring? Here are a few things you can do to help lessen your chances of scoring:

1. Change your oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles with Driven DT40 on 1997-2008 models with the m96 or m97 engine and DI40 on 2009 and later models with the MA1 (9A1) engine.

If you do frequent short drives, you should change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months.

2. Use Top Tier fuels and Driven Injector Defender at least every 3,000 miles or better every fill up.

3. Install a low temperature thermostat.

4. In colder climates, once the engine gets off cold start, don’t idle the engine any more and start driving. Limit yourself to 50% throttle and keep the engine under 3,500 rpm until the engine is at full temperature.

5. Add used oil analysis to your toolbox. Scored cylinders typically will be visible in test results with elevated aluminum and silicon levels, often with reduced oil viscosity and increased fuel contamination.

Driven products and SPEEDiagnostix used oil analysis kits can be ordered from LN Engineering at:

https://lnengineering.com/…/joe-gibbs-racing-driven-product…

https://lnengineering.com/products/used-oil-analysis.html

The following 4 users liked this post by laphan:
88911coupe (09-01-2023), LloydStC (04-04-2022), ohmyggg (01-28-2022), steveP911 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by laphan
Here is what it says (I hope Charles is okay with me posting this, if not let me know and I will delete it):

Concerned about cylinder scoring? Here are a few things you can do to help lessen your chances of scoring:

1. Change your oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles with Driven DT40 on 1997-2008 models with the m96 or m97 engine and DI40 on 2009 and later models with the MA1 (9A1) engine.

If you do frequent short drives, you should change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months.

2. Use Top Tier fuels and Driven Injector Defender at least every 3,000 miles or better every fill up.

4. In colder climates, once the engine gets off cold start, don’t idle the engine any more and start driving. Limit yourself to 50% throttle and keep the engine under 3,500 rpm until the engine is at full temperature.

5. Add used oil analysis to your toolbox. Scored cylinders typically will be visible in test results with elevated aluminum and silicon levels, often with reduced oil viscosity and increased fuel contamination.

Driven products and SPEEDiagnostix used oil analysis kits can be ordered from LN Engineering at:

Thanks! Looks like I’ll be changing my fuel injectors this spring.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by laphan

I have no problem sharing this info. I am working closely with two individuals with early signs of scoring. Definitively, one of them has bank 2 enrichment issues, but we're still waiting of further diagnostics to be carried out on their end.

I'm in the process of scouring through dozens of whitepapers on hypereutectic block development and testing to see if I can find any corroborating evidence that might help us understand this scoring issue better.

One thing I did read that Mercury Marine uses a similar process called Mercosil, which is like Alusil, but it has graphite embedded in the bores, which acts like a solid lubricant. There is some tribological film forming on the bores that interacts with the hard silicon particles and softer aluminum and when the silicon is removed, the soft aluminum experiences abrasive wear.

I do know many people racing M96 and 9A1 engines with zero cylinder issues with years of track use and hundreds of hours, but they are all running Driven XP9, which has lots of moly.

We are all looking into the possibility of a different oil or maybe an additive that would work with DT40 or FR50 (Driven's 5w50) that might improve the load carrying capability of the lubricant and reduce the piston and cylinder wear that leads to these scoring events.

I'm spending all my free time day and night devoted to this as it's our number one concern right now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
88911coupe (09-01-2023), ABAD911 (03-02-2022), tegraphile (03-29-2022)

Quick Reply: 997.1: Percentage of all engines w/bore scoring?