Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 month or 12 month Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:25 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

9-12 months. Kinda depends on whether I have the car up for another reason or not. 3-4K miles a year.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:38 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 385 Likes on 274 Posts

I don't get oil analysis ? ? What's the purpose ? ? Use good oil and change it every 5000k or sooner if necessary ..pull the old filter apart and check for any undesirables and you are good to go. Porsche engines are hard on oil just like sport bikes and jet skis. I need to see fairly gold color oil coming out at oil changes, as contamination / delayed oil changes are more of a threat to our engines.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
I don't get oil analysis ? ? What's the purpose ? ? Use good oil and change it every 5000k or sooner if necessary ..pull the old filter apart and check for any undesirables and you are good to go. Porsche engines are hard on oil just like sport bikes and jet skis. I need to see fairly gold color oil coming out at oil changes, as contamination / delayed oil changes are more of a threat to our engines.
UOA can give you a heads up something is occurring. And rebuilding before total failure is typically much cheaper than after you've done the catastrophic damage.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
I don't get oil analysis ? ? What's the purpose ? ?
Here's a post. I put into the 928 forum this week when asked the same question

I use Blackstone's bulk order service and pay for the TAN and TBN to be added as that shows you how acidic the oil is becoming - you want the TBN to remain higher than the TAN.

To answer the what's UOA good for,
  • it can detect issues with the engine prior to a major failure that would then cost more to fix.
  • It can detect the presence of coolant in the oil from a leaking head gasket or fuel in the oil from a bad injector or from lower compression in one cylinder,
  • The presence of various wear metals like iron, aluminum, and copper that can tell you if something is wearing badly like a main bearing or a cylinder scoring process has begun.
  • Will show silicon levels which is pretty much dirt that can point to unfiltered air getting into the motor which could be a vacuum leak or a poor air filter.
  • Provides data on viscosity and flashpoints that will tell you how well the Multi-grade additive package is holding up so you can adjust your oil change interval accordingly
  • Gives you levels of Zinc & Phosphorous (ZDDP) that protect the valve train - you want 1,000ppm or more of both
  • and some other things
It's most useful if done with the same oil at every oil change so you can start building a trend history of how your particular engine reports look so that if something jumps up in one of them you can investigate the cause for the increase in that number.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:44 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

One time a year for me, which is about 2-3k miles.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Motul
+ 1

A lot of these oil change intervals people are suggesting are a bit extreme- a 1 year, less than 5K mile oil change is a good practice on street driven cars by the way even though a bit conservative. Especially considering the sump size in your Porsche's, they have the potential to go quite long on oil changes if monitored correctly.

A UOA will help you understand the health of the oil (and your engine). You can then base your drain interval on tangible data instead of just coming up with random time/mileage estimates based on what you feel comfortable with. -Nick
Thank you Nick for chiming in. IMO, I thought the sub 1 yr/5K mile oil change is complete overkill. Then again, it is their money and their car. When we used to race Kawasaki ZX6RR's @ Willow Springs, they made power up until 15,500 rpm and we were running Motul 300V. Motul
Old 03-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Luis_66
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just following the manual?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis_66
Why not just following the manual?
Because the advice in the manual doesn't put the car first, it puts the owners and marketing people first. When people are comparison shopping, they'll wonder why they have to change the oil in their Porsche every 5,000 miles when the BMW or Audi says they can go 10,000 miles. No ICE car should ever go longer than 5,000 miles on an oil change, unless they just don't care about the longevity of the engine (leased car), especially a high-revving, higher HP motor, like in the 997. Anyone who does UOA can see breakdown of the additive package in as few as 3,500 miles on a car that's frequently driven in a spirited fashion. By 10,000 miles, your 5W/40 is probably 0W/20 not to mention how dirty and acidic the oil has become from absorbing byproducts of the combustion process.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

7500 miles or 12 months. I feel so guilty, but hey, I'm still not following the manual. DD with 85% easy commute.

Quick Reply: 6 month or 12 month Oil Changes