wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Funny how they don't tell you this at the dealer with brand new zero mile cars
Old 03-14-2019, 05:43 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I always use old pads to bed new rotors.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Funny how they don't tell you this at the dealer with brand new zero mile cars
Exactly
Old 03-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
found this on autoanything.com. seems reasonable. thoughts?

Brake pad bedding is an important process that removes impurities from the surface of the brake pad and lays down a thin layer of pad residue on the rotor surface. This is accomplished through repeated heated and cooling during braking. These cycles are like Goldilocks and the three bears: temperatures need to be just right to prevent scarring of the brake pad and rotor surfaces, or uneven pad transfer. Follow these easy guidelines and enjoy quiet, smooth and long-lasting braking. While every manufacturer has a different method for bedding in their brake pads, the basics remain the same—regardless of brand.
  • Find an open stretch of road that will allow you to safely stop your vehicle multiple times
  • Accelerate to 35 mph and apply moderate brake pressure to reduce your speed to 5-10 MPH
  • Repeat this process 3-4 times, the goal is to warm up your brake pads
  • Now turn up the heat even more by increasing your speed to 45 mph and braking down to 10 mph
  • Repeat this process 3-4 times
    • Pro Tip: It’s important to avoid coming to a complete stop during this stage as it’s possible to melt brake pads against hot rotors. Of course, should a deer, pedestrian or Sasquatch run onto the road, feel free to mash the brake pedal. Safety first!
  • Your stop-and-go session is now complete. Park the car and allow the brakes to fully cool for an hour. For best results, avoid pressing down on the brake pedal when parked
While bedding in your brakes can sound like a sensitive procedure, one funky stop isn’t going to ruin your efforts. Gas-off and heat will occurr. Drive safely and avoid emergency stops, if possible.
This is the exact process I use, but add a 3rd set of stops from almost stops from 60 or 70 mph, then the cool down drive from my bedding loop is about 3 miles where no braking is required. What probably makes you feel like their warped is that since they weren't bedded properly, you have uneven material transfer on the rotor from the pad material. The pad material to pad material on the rotor relationship is actually what give you that nice initial bite when you apply the brakes. In your case, you have some pad material properly bonded but other places where it's not or there isn't any, so as the rotor turns your getting a grab / release / grab / release effect which feels just like a warped rotor.

The rotors need to be fully cleaned from the current pad material - brake cleaner on a roloc pad on a drill is how I do it (it slings so do it outside with an old shirt on), then sand or file the surface of the brake pads (wear a respirator). The goal here is to get to a fresh layer of pad material that isn't already glazed - doens't take much - you want the shininess gone. Put it all back together and then bed them using the process in jfort's post and you should be good to go. Make sure to use either the OEM pad dampeners or an anti-squeal past on the BACKSIDE of the pad, not the friction surface. This will keep them nice and quiet so you don't get squeal when stopping.

If you need to bleed the ABS actuators and don't have a Durametric, you can just find a road with some loose dirt and do a few panic stops where you feel the pedal pulsing as that's the ABS pump working and will move the fluid through. A new home construction site is usually a good place where the trucks going in and out have left a bunch of dirt in the road.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:08 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Go to the StopTech website, which evidently is now APCAUTECH.COM. (https://www.apcautotech.com/resource...ry=Whitepapers) Head to RESOURCES and then WHITE PAPERS. At the bottom of the first page are 3 white paper articles that do a good job explaining the bed in procedure. Start with the BED-IN THEORY paper then read through the stock and performance papers. These are pretty good write ups and help you understand the bed-in process. I've followed these guidelines for years and have not had any problems. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Like they are suggesting, find a new shop. Better yet, do your brakes yourself if you have the time.

Fortunately for me, my brakes jobs are limited to bleeding the brake calipers and the clutch every two years. I'm still on factory pads at 115,000 miles. (PCCB)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Ok, so brought my car in to get the brakes done rotors, pads, and everything. So got the job done. Then about 1000 miles later my car starts shaking. Brought back into the independent, he says "You didn't break them in properly" and the rotors were warped and he needed to redo the whole job. He redid them under warranty but said that was the last time he'd do it and that to properly brake them in I needed to not slam on the brakes
Not trying to add insult to injury, but I've experience two confirmed cases of warped rotors on my cars. And yes, it was from slamming on the brakes. Once on my car and once on my wife's car. My car had just installed brand new factory rotors. Took it up to the mountains and after slamming on the brakes to avoid an accident, I experienced the dreaded car shakiness when applying the brakes. Fortunately, the dealership replaced them under warranty, but confirmed that it was definitely "warped" or more specifically, the surface was NOT even around the circumference of the rotor. The other time was with my wife's large SUV. As in my case, she slammed on the brakes and then after that we started noticing vibration when lightly applying the brakes. The dealership confirmed a warped rotor, but since they're not under warranty, I'll have to pay to replace them. Not a big deal, but yes, frustrating.

Not trying to place blame on anyone here, but I've never heard of a break-in period for brakes, period. hahaha

Quick Reply: Brake Job Gone Bad