Sponsored by:

997 Buying suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Arjun 75
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Buying suggestions please

hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am in the process of trying to own my first Porsche. The model of choice being the 997.2 .
I have been offered two cars , both gen 2. One is a very late 2008 Carrera S PDK with a pretty base spec and the other a 2012 Carrera with sport chrono, paddle shift steering and a few luxury extras.
Both have very similar miles. My question is which would be the better buy? I’m leaning towards the Carrera S for obviously the performance but can’t ignore the Carrera as it’s 4 years newer and is Black as against Silver for the Carrera S.
Requesting your suggestions. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 AM
DaBigBR
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The S is going to hold value longer by virtue of being an S. You can add the paddle shift wheel for a couple thousand dollars or so. Obviously four model years is nothing to shake a stick at either.

There is also the argument that an S is only really that important if you track the car.

Have you had either car PPIed yet?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 AM
Arjun 75
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DaBigBR
The S is going to hold value longer by virtue of being an S. You can add the paddle shift wheel for a couple thousand dollars or so. Obviously four model years is nothing to shake a stick at either.

There is also the argument that an S is only really that important if you track the car.

Have you had either car PPIed yet?
Sorry, you lost me there. PPled?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:55 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

PPI - pre purchased inspection
Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Arjun 75
8th Gear

Originally Posted by cwheeler
PPI - pre purchased inspection
ah ok. No I haven’t. But looking at the info I have been provided so far they both check out ok in terms of condition.
The Carrera S seems to have a more comprehensive recent service done. Will be checking them out in person in the coming week.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Arjun 75
hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am in the process of trying to own my first Porsche. The model of choice being the 997.2 .
I have been offered two cars , both gen 2. One is a very late 2008 Carrera S PDK with a pretty base spec and the other a 2012 Carrera with sport chrono, paddle shift steering and a few luxury extras.
Both have very similar miles. My question is which would be the better buy? I’m leaning towards the Carrera S for obviously the performance but can’t ignore the Carrera as it’s 4 years newer and is Black as against Silver for the Carrera S.
Requesting your suggestions. Thanks.
I am assuming that the 2008 Carrera S is actually a model year 2009 car that was built / sold in late 2008? We would refer to that as a 2009 Carrera 2S. A true 2008 would be a 997.1 and have a tip, not PDK.

Between the two, I would definitely (personally) go with the S. The years difference means very little today and will mean virtually nothing later. The mileage and maintenance records are more meaningful for how much wear and tear is on the car and its condition. Not sure about the colors. I would chalk that up to personal preference. Some people would prefer the silver, others the black car. If you like black better than silver, then maybe get that one or wait for an "S" in black.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Arjun 75
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I am assuming that the 2008 Carrera S is actually a model year 2009 car that was built / sold in late 2008? We would refer to that as a 2009 Carrera 2S. A true 2008 would be a 997.1 and have a tip, not PDK.

Between the two, I would definitely (personally) go with the S. The years difference means very little today and will mean virtually nothing later. The mileage and maintenance records are more meaningful for how much wear and tear is on the car and its condition. Not sure about the colors. I would chalk that up to personal preference. Some people would prefer the silver, others the black car. If you like black better than silver, then maybe get that one or wait for an "S" in black.
Thank You for that. The car is a 2009 model year built and sold late 2008.
Totally agree that colour is personal preference. Just that I don’t have much of a choice here in India as very few 997.2 ‘s were sold.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I would definitely go with the S.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:05 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go with the S. It is possible to add sport chrono (minus the dash wart) and paddles after the fact.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:57 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

I would go with the S. First, its silver which is the only proper color for 911s :-) Second, I personally dont put much weight in which year model designation it is (except a 2005 997.1 has special considerations). I first look at condition, maintenance, miles, options, color, price, etc. I own a 997.1 and wether it was a 2008 or 2006 would have minimal influence on me...they're both 10yr old cars.

I say this owning a base model. I think they can be a hell of a bargain to get into the 911 game. But i dont see that here. You are looking at cars that are the same price and miles. In 5-7 years i dont think anybody will care if its a 2009 or 2012 so the S will definitely have higher resale. Further silver ages better than black. Black paint highlights all the rock chips.

The other thing you need to consider is the base models need Eibach lowering springs to get rid of the 4x4 wheel stance.

Good luck and welcome to the community. Whatever you choose you will love the car.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:26 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

As others have said, you can add the paddle shifter steering wheel AND the sport / sport plus mode after the fact at a Porsche dealership if those are critical to your decision. That said, if all the options on the newer non S are more important to you than 30 more HP and flatter depreciation curve, then you might be better off with a base than an S.

I personally knew that I was going to daily drive my car, not track the car much and was getting enough performance out of a base 997.2 where I wasn't going to miss the HP. As a result, I was able to save probably around $10k getting a base vs. an S and could freely drive my car and not worry how many miles I put on it.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:50 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I would go,with the base. First of all, unless you are tracking it, the base gives you all the power you will ever need. But most important, in my opinion, is the four year difference in age. The "S" is one of the early 997.2 builds, whereas the base was built near the end of the run, and Porsche is pretty good at making improvements during the model run. And some components wear out as a function of time. Mike
Old 03-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Arjun 75
8th Gear

Thanks much all for your help. Greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Arjun 75
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mk85911
I would go,with the base. First of all, unless you are tracking it, the base gives you all the power you will ever need. But most important, in my opinion, is the four year difference in age. The "S" is one of the early 997.2 builds, whereas the base was built near the end of the run, and Porsche is pretty good at making improvements during the model run. And some components wear out as a function of time. Mike
The point you make is one of the main reasons I asked this question. I have not been able to find any documented improvements in the 997.2 during its life cycle.
Would be of great help if you’ll could point out issues if any with the early model 997.2 that were ironed out towards the end.
At this point my interest is clearly on the S.
Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I think some have reported the later PDK calibration is smoother, the earlier cars can be more notchy in certain PDK operation, I don't believe Porsche made any big moves until the next 991 generation.
Drive both, for me the base is plenty of car, very capable and either one is highly enjoyable.

Quick Reply: 997 Buying suggestions please