Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Driving Lessons (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1133437-driving-lessons.html)

doclouie 03-12-2019 10:57 PM

Driving Lessons

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...54240b8a5.jpeg
So I taught my 15 year old how to drive tonight. Oh heaven help me. I have such a large headache from him not knowing how to brake properly to dumping the clutch. Nobody died. LOL. Great memory for him. Learning to drive stick in a Porsche.

Yet anothercrisis 03-12-2019 11:21 PM

Folks will tell you that it was a big error on your part. I disagree. I taught my daughter to drive in a Corvette C6. It was also a straight drive. She never wanted to drive it very much afterwards, but she can now drive a stick. Just the other day I heard her telling her son, that he didn’t have anything on her. She explained that the PDK is so easy compared to the Vette. He, on the other hand, is looking forward to borrowing my Porsche!!

ogun228 03-12-2019 11:25 PM

Stay with it. In the end you will bond.

Balr14 03-12-2019 11:35 PM

I taught my sister to drive manual transmission on a 64 Dodge 426 Max Wedge.I would have bet anything she wouldn't be able to do it, but she did. She never asked to drive it again, though.

911Consultant 03-13-2019 01:01 AM

Tried to teach my Ex in a 4cyl Z3 . Didnt work cause shes a lefty............that wasnt the only thing wrong with her.........

TheBruce 03-13-2019 01:31 AM

Good dad.

Cayman292 03-13-2019 02:03 AM

I taught my wife to drive a 62 Jeep pickup 4 speed. We didn’t have an auto till our 99 Grand Cherokee. Our 924 an ‘90 C4 were manuals. We just got a 987.2 PDK. There are so few younger people who can drive a manual these days,it’s probably less likely to have your seven speed manual stolen and you can always drive any car you need to. We both love driving a manual but as you get older it’s just easier with the PDK and it is a blast to drive and learning to shift without a clutch is really a new experience. Whether it’s clutch or paddle Porsche’s are the best to drive.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a2670da7c.jpeg

doclouie 03-13-2019 10:14 AM

I learned to drive stick in a Porsche when I was 15 and it was a memory I still cherish. Great memories with my boy. He will need a lot more practice, but he did okay for his first try. My car has 86k on the clutch so I will start pricing that out shortly. LOL. It is all about the experience and memories that make it all worth it. Looks like others feel the same way. Cheers.

Petza914 03-13-2019 10:23 AM

My daughter starts driving this September - oh, boy. Probably going to need to teach her in the automatic pickup and then move her to the wife's 997 (stick). Those are the only 2 cars that don't have forced induction and 400 HP or more.

I need to buy a Honda Accord!

rap 03-13-2019 12:03 PM

After I bought my first 968 I went to Bertil Roos racing school to learn how to properly drive. I knew how to drive a stick and had been driving for years. The second course I took had mainly teenagers whose parents saw the value. Still learned a lot in the second class and felt both courses had great value.

mujeriega 03-13-2019 01:33 PM

I think it's good to teach kids to drive stick just because they never know what kind of car they may have to drive (e.g. emergency situation, renting a car outside the US, limited budget for first car, etc.)

mbatarga 03-14-2019 04:07 PM

I started out teaching my son to drive in an '82 S10 pickup in an industrial office area with a large unobstructed parking lot. He was about 13 or 14. When he got his learner's permit, I taught him to drive a stick in my '83 SC. I told him if he can master the 915 trans, he can drive anything stick! It took several hrs of instruction over several weeks for him to get the feel of the clutch and was able to shift from standing to 1st then into 2nd. He then got the 2nd to 3rd shift fairly quick. About 6 months later, he drove his cousin's VW Golf - and couldn't believe how easy it was to shift! :)

ejabour 03-14-2019 04:24 PM

Good on you. When I was his age my Dad taught me in his e30 m3. Those are fantastic memories that are some of the best from my adolescence.

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 15699868)

So I taught my 15 year old how to drive tonight. Oh heaven help me. I have such a large headache from him not knowing how to brake properly to dumping the clutch. Nobody died. LOL. Great memory for him. Learning to drive stick in a Porsche.

dmpslc 03-14-2019 05:57 PM

My dad taught me to drive a manual in his 80 911sc. On one of our first drives he (inadvertantly) took me to a difficult intersection - uphill, bad lines of sight - and I learned real fast. I had already been driving for 2 years so it was really just about shifting. My 15 year old will learn to drive a manual, probably in the Porsche, right after he learns to drive an automatic and proves he can pay attention to all the other things. Then well do some HPDEs, just like I did with my dad. Great memories and thanks dad!

jll1011 03-14-2019 10:41 PM

I taught my son on my old Boxster. He learned to drive a manual. But, pretty sure we burned up the clutch during the process as I replaced it around 30k miles. No matter, it was worth it. We bonded, he learned and I smile about it.