Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Sport Seat gremlins - help

Old 03-10-2019, 11:48 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Adaptive Sport Seat gremlins - help

My car was equipped with heated, memory, ventilated power comfort seats which were nice... but I found an awesome deal on adaptive sport seats (in sand beige!)

The backs were originally painted blue, and I wrapped them in gloss black vinyl to match the exterior/center console. I had done my homework to check that all plugs would match... and to my huge sigh of relief, they did.

The only difference is that my seats had ventilation, but I figure that's not too much of an issue.

First, the seat controls were kinda sticky and not responsive, so I went back and make sure to trim any excess vinyl in case that was an issue. The functions all worked, but not without pushing hard on some of the buttons. I then swapped the original seat controls from my seats (same P/N) over because I knew they were working 100% correctly. Now they're fine, but the seat angle adjustment motor only clicks when pressing the button.

Anything I can test? Something that's blocking/stuck? Seats are genuinely awesome, but I hate the flat position they are stuck in compared to the pass seat.

Last edited by hexagone; 01-29-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Weird. When you put the sticky seat controls back, does the seat work the way it's supposed to again.

If the heat doesn't work, it sounds like maybe although the connectors are the same between the two seats that the wiring is different. Does the light on the dash button come on when you try to turn on the heated seat, but you don't get any heat, or does the light not work either? If no light, check the fuse.

Also, curious why are your door guide wedge pieces are silver instead of color matched to the car?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

I haven't put the sticky controls back (again). Does the sound of the motors/solenoids clicking imply they're working but something is caught?

The light on the dash for heat comes on - neither seats warm up.

The door wedge pieces were always silver...

Last edited by hexagone; 01-29-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hexagone
I haven't put the sticky controls back (again). Does the sound of the motors/solenoids clicking imply they're working but something is caught?

The light on the dash for heat comes on - neither seats warm up.

The door wedge pieces were always silver...
Just for fun try the cooling buttons and see if the lights come on and the seats heat up. If the light comes on the fuse is OK. I'd the cooling ones don't work, you'll have to trace the wires from the dash to the seat connector, then from the heating elements in the seat to the seat connector and see why they don't line up and relocate a couple pins in one of the connectors (probably the seat one).

That's weird on the door wedge pieces - they should match the exterior color of the car. Mine did originally, but I replaced them with CF versions.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:58 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Just for fun try the cooling buttons and see if the lights come on and the seats heat up. If the light comes on the fuse is OK. I'd the cooling ones don't work, you'll have to trace the wires from the dash to the seat connector, then from the heating elements in the seat to the seat connector and see why they don't line up and relocate a couple pins in one of the connectors (probably the seat one).

That's weird on the door wedge pieces - they should match the exterior color of the car. Mine did originally, but I replaced them with CF versions.
Mine are silver.. always have been...A1 car paint.
Asim, if you need to code i have that dura pro if you need it.
I also have the wiring diagram software i can share if you need to check that leads have the same functions
Old 03-11-2019, 02:11 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car was equipped with heated, memory, ventilated power comfort seats which were nice... but I found an awesome deal on adaptive sport seats (in sand beige!)

The backs were originally painted blue, and I wrapped them in gloss black vinyl to match the exterior/center console. I had done my homework to check that all plugs would match... and to my huge sigh of relief, they did.

The only difference is that my seats had ventilation, but I figure that's not too much of an issue.

First, the seat controls were kinda sticky and not responsive, so I went back and make sure to trim any excess vinyl in case that was an issue. The functions all worked, but not without pushing hard on some of the buttons. I then swapped the original seat controls from my seats (same P/N) over because I knew they were working 100% correctly. Now they're fine, but the seat angle adjustment motor only clicks when pressing the button.

Anything I can test? Something that's blocking/stuck? Seats are genuinely awesome, but I hate the flat position they are stuck in compared to the pass seat.

[edit] also - do these have to be coded in any way to the car? I just remembered heat was not working either.
Which controls did you swap? I dont think I've seen 997 16-way ventilated seats before, was it only the 12-way buttons?
Are the driver and passenger seats behaving the same? e.g. seat angle motor click, no heat, etc?
Were the sport seats from a car with seat memory? What happens if you try to activate them via the memory function?
I kinda suspect they might need to be coded. The adaptive sport seats have two additional adjustments that (might be?) are tied to the memory module, which may be substituted for the ventilation pins on the connectors.

Originally Posted by Petza914
I don't remember where it's documented, but I think 997.2 stopped painting them altogether. They're meant to be structural so there could have been issues with paint rubbing off.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:21 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillNye
Which controls did you swap? I dont think I've seen 997 16-way ventilated seats before, was it only the 12-way buttons?
Are the driver and passenger seats behaving the same? e.g. seat angle motor click, no heat, etc?
Were the sport seats from a car with seat memory? What happens if you try to activate them via the memory function?
I kinda suspect they might need to be coded. The adaptive sport seats have two additional adjustments that (might be?) are tied to the memory module, which may be substituted for the ventilation pins on the connectors.

I don't remember where it's documented, but I think 997.2 stopped painting them altogether. They're meant to be structural so there could have been issues with paint rubbing off.
You are correct - there are no 16 way ventilated seats, that started with the 991. The 12 way buttons + memory/ventilation/heat was possible in Comfort seats.

The driver seat is the one behaving differently with tilt. Both seats have no heat. Sport seats had memory, as well as did my car - but I haven't messed yet with the memory function, which I'm less concerned about than the tilt/heat.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:29 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Confirmed - cooling & heat buttons light up when pressed.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:22 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

Curious what you think vinyl wrap will do to the seat backs if you ever wanted to remove. Have been tempted to paint the back of my seats but disassembling would be a pain. Vinyl wrap, if reversible would be an interesting alternative.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Confirmed - cooling & heat buttons light up when pressed.
Do the cooling buttons happen to work the seat heaters?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by workhurts
Curious what you think vinyl wrap will do to the seat backs if you ever wanted to remove. Have been tempted to paint the back of my seats but disassembling would be a pain. Vinyl wrap, if reversible would be an interesting alternative.
I don't plan to remove the CF vinyl I used on the back of the 997 sport seats I installed into my 928 Spyder, but love the look, especially with it being a convertible.

The standard finish on he back of the sport seats seems pretty soft, so there could be some lifting. If they are painted body color they seem smoother and mote durable and I bet the vinyl would come off just fine.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:13 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

^ there should be no lifting as long as you use a hair dryer to soften the vinyl.

Checked what ventilation buttons do - nothing. They just light up.

Last edited by hexagone; 03-13-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:16 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Confirmed both control units from the sport seats (08 car - but did not come shipped with seats) and the control units from my car (09 - comfort seats - I swapped these in) are the identical part numbers. So essentially, everything here should be plug and play (if not, some difference in coding?)

Also found out that when I had a passenger, the center console light for airbag stays on. So that leads me to think my driver's side airbag may be disabled too for some reason.

So to summarize:

Airbag console light on
Dash airbag light on
No Heating
Finnicky tilt button on driver's side
Old 03-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Timosully
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the seats are plug and play. I changed my comfort seats to sport seats and had the same issue with the driver side tilt!

You'll have to rewire the plug to make that work.

The airbag issue is from the seat's weight sensor! Those are a problem. You can only disable the light with coding. The dash Airbag could be a seat belts or the airbags in the seats. That coding is a challenge even with a PIWIS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adaptive Sport Seat gremlins - help