Can you carry skis in a cab? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you carry skis in a cab?

 
Old 03-09-2019, 07:16 PM
  #1  
roll
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Default Can you carry skis in a cab?

Will skis ~170cm long fit inside a 997.2 cab?
roll is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM
  #2  
Aeromat209
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 35
Default

Yes but it would be recommended to wrap them on a plastic or have a fabric sleeve over them for all the sharp edges that could easily scuff and damage your Leather seats !
Aeromat209 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 PM
  #3  
Linnm
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 522
Default Get a bag to hold them

and a carrying rack to hold them long-wise
Linnm is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 09:55 PM
  #4  
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,243
Default

Seer sucker makes suction cup attachments to mount a rack.
kellen is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:23 AM
  #5  
Balr14
User
 
Balr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI.
Posts: 502
Default

I could not get a 6 foot long edge molding in my cab unless I put it in diagonally from passenger foot well, between the seats, to the back seat.
Balr14 is online now  
Old 03-10-2019, 09:35 AM
  #6  
roll
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Aeromat209 View Post
Yes but it would be recommended to wrap them on a plastic or have a fabric sleeve over them for all the sharp edges that could easily scuff and damage your Leather seats !
Oh wow, really? That's awesome. I do have an old fabric ski case.
roll is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 09:38 AM
  #7  
roll
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Linnm View Post
and a carrying rack to hold them long-wise
Originally Posted by kellen View Post
Seer sucker makes suction cup attachments to mount a rack.
I'm confused by these. Do I need a rack to put the skis inside the cab with the roof down?
roll is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 AM
  #8  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 19,291
Default

I guess it would depend on what the cab driver allows. Uber might be more accommodating.
LexVan is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 AM
  #9  
roll
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I could not get a 6 foot long edge molding in my cab unless I put it in diagonally from passenger foot well, between the seats, to the back seat.
So you are saying the ~170cm ski wrapped in a fabric ski cover would not fit in a cab if the front passenger seat is being used by a human or a canine friend?
roll is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 AM
  #10  
bbinder
User
 
bbinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melrose, MA
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by roll View Post
So you are saying the ~170cm ski wrapped in a fabric ski cover would not fit in a cab if the front passenger seat is being used by a human or a canine friend?
Unless it is a small dog, no.
bbinder is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM
  #11  
MexicoBlueTurboS
User
 
MexicoBlueTurboS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 26
Default

Leave the top down and you can fit 260cm jumping skis. (and the giant ***** it takes to use them properly).






MexicoBlueTurboS is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM
  #12  
Racetwin2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Racetwin2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Swedish expat in Latvia
Posts: 1,497
Default

Attached Images  
Racetwin2 is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:21 PM
  #13  
Bomar Shelby
User
 
Bomar Shelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Saginaw, Mi
Posts: 156
Default

Keep the skis out of the car, Barrecrafters make a window mount rack that holds 2 pair of skis. I used to own one and it works quite well. Attaches to side window of any car. There are some available on ebay like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/273721050282?chn=ps
Bomar Shelby is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:24 PM
  #14  
roll
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby View Post
Keep the skis out of the car, Barrecrafters make a window mount rack that holds 2 pair of skis. I used to own one and it works quite well. Attaches to side window of any car. There are some available on ebay like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/273721050282?chn=ps
Interesting idea! Are they actually stable? I'd imagine glass can only hold so much weight? Also, does it block your view in any way?
roll is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:27 PM
  #15  
Bomar Shelby
User
 
Bomar Shelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Saginaw, Mi
Posts: 156
Default

look at the picture of the car on the box, no it doesn't interfere with view, yes it is very secure. this dates back to 70s-80s and works well on cars with a frame around the window. Not sure how well it would work on our Pcars with frameless windows ( maybe ok on coupes not sure about cabs) but for $35-40 might be worth a try. Also not sure automatic window drop when opening door would be an issue.
Bomar Shelby is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: