Sponsored by:

Can you carry skis in a cab?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:12 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I would really like to figure this out so I don't have to go buy a coupe and get rid of my cab . Looks like the posting goes way back to 2008 and just ends. My intent is for a bike (not skis).
Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 PM
supersquid
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a gorgeous C4 cab the other day. Excellent car, but the point of a C4 (to me) is using nit for sports (skiing and biking). Not necessarily a rack question, but how does the cloth top hold up in an east coast winter? If the rack works, and the top doesn’t get abused, cab may be a good starting point.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by supersquid
I drove a gorgeous C4 cab the other day. Excellent car, but the point of a C4 (to me) is using nit for sports (skiing and biking). Not necessarily a rack question, but how does the cloth top hold up in an east coast winter? If the rack works, and the top doesn’t get abused, cab may be a good starting point.
I have driven convertibles in Wisconsin winters for many years and haven't been concerned about the top since they switched to glass rear windows in the 70s. The top material has always been extremely tough and durable. In the last 20 years, the insulation material has improved so much that noise and temperature are not worth worrying about. You will likely be more comfortable than with the leaky sunroof.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:22 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

To do it right... see this thread about the Cabriolet Roof Transport System Link. Then mount a proper ski rack or ski box. Of course there is a much much better option for the short term if this is a one time thing. Just rent skis at the mountain. You can bring your own boots.

I don't think I would want that Barrecrafters mount on the window of the Cab. The frame above isn't as stable as a Coupe and crosswinds in mountains can get quite high. You could destroy your window and lose your skis at the same time. For that matter, just getting in and out of the car would be incredibly awkward.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:06 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

I've skied 25 days this season and will break 30 days hopefully before the end of March. We split the trips between my 997 and wife's MDX. The c4s is great on the snow as long as it doesn't get too deep. We flip the back seats down and put the boot bags on the shelf to keep them warm on the way up. It is a great 2 person ski transport vehicle with the RTS.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:52 PM
roll
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla

I've skied 25 days this season and will break 30 days hopefully before the end of March. We split the trips between my 997 and wife's MDX. The c4s is great on the snow as long as it doesn't get too deep. We flip the back seats down and put the boot bags on the shelf to keep them warm on the way up. It is a great 2 person ski transport vehicle with the RTS.
Very nice! Also, any chance the skis actually fit inside the coupe as well when you had a passenger? If so, what size were they? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:38 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

I bought the coupe specifically because of the ease of use with the factory racks and I haul my bikes and skis everywhere. I've even taken my bike to the airport with it's travel case in the ski box. l would never intentionally do this. It so happens the Mrs skis on 172cm skis. There is plenty of room lengthwise. The bindings are going to be impinging on your passenger's space no matter which way you put the skis.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:37 PM
roll
Track Day

I bought the coupe specifically because of the ease of use with the factory racks and I haul my bikes and skis everywhere. I've even taken my bike to the airport with it's travel case in the ski box. l would never intentionally do this. It so happens the Mrs skis on 172cm skis. There is plenty of room lengthwise. The bindings are going to be impinging on your passenger's space no matter which way you put the skis.
Thank you again. I have been grappling with the coupe vs cab choice for a while now. This would likely be my only car (space limitations), and I ski 30+ days each season like you do also! I would love to drive the cab with the top down in twisty roads, but the stiffness of the coupe and easy roof transport system installation also appeals to me. Been trying to find a compromise. I figured if there was an easy way to carry the skis in a cab, I could live with the slightly lower stiffness.

Looks like there is no way to have a comfortable passenger AND skis inside the car.

A very quick question about the roof transport system btw. How easy/quick is it to remove the racks themselves from the car? I don't love the look of the mounted racks, and would love to take them and the roof box off when we return from the ski weekends, and put them back on before each trip if it's not too hard.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:02 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by roll
A very quick question about the roof transport system btw. How easy/quick is it to remove the racks themselves from the car? I don't love the look of the mounted racks, and would love to take them and the roof box off when we return from the ski weekends, and put them back on before each trip if it's not too hard.
The best rack I've ever owned for easy install/removal. It takes me 5 mins to install or remove. The threaded inserts in the roof make it incredibly easy. The rack is made of a foot that threads into the stud in the roof and an upper "tower" which threads into the foot. I like to keep my skis in the box as it helps keep them cleaner and reduces corrosion on the edges (thus reduces time spent sharpening) and that is a pain to put on and take off the car and slows the rack removal in the winter. In the summer with the two bike racks on the bars, it keeps it square and you can lift it off, set it against the wall and drop it right back down on the feet when you want.

With the rack off the car, the sunroof on the coupe is pretty quiet to drive with open. We did a drive through Glenwood Canyon with it open and it was nice to be able to look up the canyon walls. Nothing like a convertible, but nice.

BTW I received an email from Suncoast recently that they received a new shipment of the 996/997 coupe RTS racks. They had been completely out of stock in the US last summer.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM
roll
Track Day

The best rack I've ever owned for easy install/removal. It takes me 5 mins to install or remove. The threaded inserts in the roof make it incredibly easy. The rack is made of a foot that threads into the stud in the roof and an upper "tower" which threads into the foot. I like to keep my skis in the box as it helps keep them cleaner and reduces corrosion on the edges (thus reduces time spent sharpening) and that is a pain to put on and take off the car and slows the rack removal in the winter. In the summer with the two bike racks on the bars, it keeps it square and you can lift it off, set it against the wall and drop it right back down on the feet when you want.

With the rack off the car, the sunroof on the coupe is pretty quiet to drive with open. We did a drive through Glenwood Canyon with it open and it was nice to be able to look up the canyon walls. Nothing like a convertible, but nice.

BTW I received an email from Suncoast recently that they received a new shipment of the 996/997 coupe RTS racks. They had been completely out of stock in the US last summer.
Thanks again. So yours is a Yokima roof box with an OEM Porsche Roof Transport System?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:19 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Thanks again. So yours is a Yokima roof box with an OEM Porsche Roof Transport System?
Yes, but only because I used to have special pricing with Yakima through my industry and I owned the ski box before I bought this car. I don't especially like the Yakima box. The narrow one I have is much taller than I want, but I need the narrow one to retain one bike rack. They now sell one with a lower profile, which would be my preference.

The thule boxes would also fit as the Porsche rack is actually made by Thule.

As for a traditional ski rack, I think all the main manufacturers would be fine. Thule, Yakima and Rocky Mounts can all do a euro bar mount.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:12 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Now that I no longer ski on a large ski (like a 203cm Super G) I can easily fit them inside the cab. ANY exterior mount will also drive you nuts with the noise. There is so much parasitic drag from exterior ski mounts/racks that you're far better off figuring out a way to carry them inside.

Last edited by Edgy01; 03-21-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:26 PM
roll
Track Day

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Now that I longer ski on a large ski (like a 203cm Super G) I can easily fit them inside the cab. ANY exterior mount will also drive you nuts with the noise. There is so much parasitic drag from exterior ski mounts/racks that you're far better off figuring out a way to carry them inside.
What size skis do you fit inside the cab, and how do you fit it in?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

What size skis do you fit inside the cab, and how do you fit it in?
First, use a ski bag to protect your leather. I put them inside the right passenger well, and the tips go to the rear. Between the seats.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 AM
roll
Track Day

Originally Posted by Edgy01
First, use a ski bag to protect your leather. I put them inside the right passenger well, and the tips go to the rear. Between the seats.
Got it, so it can only be done with no passenger on board. What size skis btw?

Quick Reply: Can you carry skis in a cab?