997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 C2S Price Analysis (with data)

Old 03-05-2019, 06:50 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 289 Posts
Default 997.2 C2S Price Analysis (with data)

Was curious about something and decided to put in the time to research.

These are cars I've pulled from the last 4-6 months ago - it's not exhaustive at all, but primarily from Car Gurus, rennlist, pelican and autotrader.

The pricing only applies to 997.2 C2Ss - inclusive of both manual and PDK. Manual data suggests lower pricing actually (also about 37% of the subset - 47 cars)

The pricing equation works rather nicely - when my car had 74k miles on it last year (09 C2S 6SP), I had a written offer for $48k private party. The equation showed $47,212.

I have C4S data too but didn't feel like compiling it if anyone else wants to do it.

Anyway here it is:

Name:  o7huz4e.png
Views: 48
Size:  45.5 KB
Old 03-05-2019, 08:23 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

So looks like about a $2700 drop for each additional 10000 miles on the clock. Not taking into account year, condition or options but a nice chart. Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How about a 3-D plot with price, mileage and year? To some extent mileage is correlated with year, but there are some garage queens with low mileage for their age.

My 2009 C2S PDK with about 36k miles comes up at about $57k using the equation. Not sure I could get that much for it.

Thanks for for posting this, great data! What is the range of sales dates?

Last edited by PJorgen; 03-05-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:34 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,408 Likes on 2,686 Posts

If you really wanted accurate info, wouldn't you have to find out/determine what the cars actually sold for - Not base stats on asking prices??
There are so many variables and dealers over inflate prices/etc.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:31 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

FWIW I did something similar back in late 2016. Here's the asking price vs. mileage, both in absolute and as a % of MSRP, that I saw back then. I only included cars with CarFax info available...

Old 03-05-2019, 10:13 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 289 Posts

I didn’t take this too seriously and lumped all 09 -11s together.

yes I agree that selling prices matter more, but there was more data available in asking prices.

You’d think manual cars would trend higher, but that was not the case - suggesting a number of things, but largely that there likely aren’t enough data points available.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:54 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"You’d think manual cars would trend higher, but that was not the case - suggesting a number of things, but largely that there likely aren’t enough data points available"

Me thinks not many millenials know or bother to learn a manual gearbox. These are the 3rd and 4rth owners or buyers of higher mileage 997's.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:31 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you could update this to a box and whisker chart with listing date on the independent axis with price as some function of deviation from a best fit line on the dependent I'd appreciate it. Really need the price whinging to the next level.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,408 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
I didn’t take this too seriously and lumped all 09 -11s together.

yes I agree that selling prices matter more, but there was more data available in asking prices.

You’d think manual cars would trend higher, but that was not the case - suggesting a number of things, but largely that there likely aren’t enough data points available.
I've noticed asking prices on many Tipronic cars, in many for-sale venues(CL/EBAY/Dealers/Cars,com/etc) listed way higher and selling at a much lower $% than manuals.
IMHO, Tiptronic owners don't quite realize the lower value and ask higher asking prices.
Anyone else agree?
Old 03-06-2019, 12:08 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
if you could update this to a box and whisker chart with listing date on the independent axis with price as some function of deviation from a best fit line on the dependent I'd appreciate it. Really need the price whinging to the next level.
LOL!!!

Originally Posted by groovzilla
...selling at a much lower $% than manuals.
Data source?

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:31 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BillNye
In addition, we'll need to see the Pearson correlation coefficient for the line as well as best fit calculations for non-linear curves.

​​​
Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 AM
Chef Sheff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing this. It's also interesting to compare to the 2016 data, which matches better with my purely anecdotal/'gut feel' for prices then and now, especially the $50K/50Kmiles crossover point that I have convinced myself of. I do love that the OP's written offer/valuation is way better than my gut feel, especially as a fellow 09 C2S manual owner (w/ 50k on the clock). Totally agree with the acknowledgments that the sample sizes are still too small to make statistically significant conclusions, but still fun.

Eyeballing the OP's data vs, 2016 and making totally unfounded assumption that they are comparable data sets, the slope is more severe with OP's but there is decent data match at the lower $/higher mileage end of the plots. If I ask 'why is the slope more severe' for OP's data, that pocket of > $60K cars under 30K miles might be the culprit (overly aggressive asking prices?); it's essentially pulling up the left side of the curve fit. Now if folks are getting those asks (?), then there's signal here vs. 2016 that a nice upward $ shift (over time) is there for < 60Kmile cars, but higher mileage looks flat.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:47 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Chef Sheff
Eyeballing the OP's data vs, 2016 and making totally unfounded assumption that they are comparable data sets, the slope is more severe with OP's but there is decent data match at the lower $/higher mileage end of the plots. If I ask 'why is the slope more severe' for OP's data, that pocket of > $60K cars under 30K miles might be the culprit (overly aggressive asking prices?); it's essentially pulling up the left side of the curve fit. Now if folks are getting those asks (?), then there's signal here vs. 2016 that a nice upward $ shift (over time) is there for < 60Kmile cars, but higher mileage looks flat.
This also implies that both the 2016 and 2018 plots should not be linear. We should be looking at an inverse yield curve with an increasing slope when time is applied as a variable..

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
In addition, we'll need to see the Pearson correlation coefficient for the line as well as best fit calculations for non-linear curves.

​​​
are we assuming this is nonlinear regression? I'd think so. I'd also like some standard financial market index coefficient applied.

Get to work, Asim! lol
Old 03-06-2019, 12:25 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

At the moment pricing is about right. I got a great deal when I picked up my nicely optioned 09 MT C2S with 7500 miles last June for 54k. Realistically it was and probably still is worth 60ish with 11k miles that's on it right now. As time passes though I believe the price gap will widen between PDK and MT, especially on nicer examples.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:38 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I've also been compiling sales data (or for sale data, in this case) of base .2 C2s pdk and manual, as well. Have yet to plot the data.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 C2S Price Analysis (with data)