Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 cabriolet owners - unusual wear on the top? Noise? Would you buy a cab again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Love my cab. There's just something about top down driving that heightens the experience!

As others have commented, the chafing is "normal" ... and by normal I mean common place on all 996 & 997 gen cabs. I found that cleaning the top thoroughly and using a fabric sealer really helped even out the appearance of the fabric. Obviously does nothing to repair the contact marks but does at least help make the dark areas less noticeable. Not sure about that mark above the door though, that I've never seen before.

Oh forgot to add, regarding the actual top mechanism: I did have to repair the hydraulic struts. It's quite common on 996 & 997's that the rod seals fail. Was a simple DIY job and far cheaper to have your set rebuilt & seals upgraded than to buy new from the dealer.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pbxtr!!
The mark above the window is normal. My 997 had it when I purchased it a few years back. After some fiddling I realized it is a transfer of adhesive coming from a wiring loom runs inside the top. The wiring loom is shielded with a sticky cloth tape that contacts the top when it is folded down. With time and heat the sticky cloth tape starts to ooze its adhesive and transfers it to the top canvas. With a stiff tooth brush and soaking the area with Goo Gone the mark will almost disappear. But it will come back unless the wiring loom tape is replaced with something else. I have yet to figure that part but cleaning it blac up is easy if done frequently.

Make sure to clean the area well afterwards to remove the Goo Gone. I used the RaggTop cleaner and protectant kit. Good luck.
That's great info - I didn't put the top in the service position and look when I was in front of the car, but I'll do that if/when I see it again.

Originally Posted by Rampage
Love my cab. There's just something about top down driving that heightens the experience!
As others have commented, the chafing is "normal" ... and by normal I mean common place on all 996 & 997 gen cabs. I found that cleaning the top thoroughly and using a fabric sealer really helped even out the appearance of the fabric. Obviously does nothing to repair the contact marks but does at least help make the dark areas less noticeable. Not sure about that mark above the door though, that I've never seen before.
Oh forgot to add, regarding the actual top mechanism: I did have to repair the hydraulic struts. It's quite common on 996 & 997's that the rod seals fail. Was a simple DIY job and far cheaper to have your set rebuilt & seals upgraded than to buy new from the dealer.
Thanks for the info on the struts - good to know that's not a 'dealer only'/nightmare.

Although I feel like the lines of the coupe are better, as far as convertibles go, the 997+ 911's are about as pure as any. Thanks for all the responses - getting first-hand info has been great.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Nope ... Not for me ...coupes always ...to each their own though ....If i was a chick maybe . I always felt that some of the lines on a 911 are lost with convertibles and coupes on the whole are more desirable and usually harder to find.
If you can have one of each you might not feel that way.

Yesterday my 1988 911 Grand Prix White, Marina Blue full leather Cab was the only aircooled cab at Sierra Madre Collection open house. Shoutout to SMC. Great event.

Love coupes but a nice cab in the fleet always brings a smile to me and to many others in socal. If I could only have one it would be a coupe though.

Never had a chicks car comment in this ride. My wifes Boxster yes. The Hairdresser comment nearly landed me in jail more than once. Had to sell the car!

Last edited by 996AE; 03-02-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Nope ... Not for me ...coupes always ...to each their own though ....If i was a chick maybe . I always felt that some of the lines on a 911 are lost with convertibles and coupes on the whole are more desirable and usually harder to find.
It's too bad you suspect the ladies can see your junk through an open top. Thank goodness for coupes, right? Or, you could by a Cab and then add a 18" lift to a pick-up with some 24" wheels and 30 series tires as a back-up (just in case people suspect something about you, that you're not proud of). Throw some swingin' ***** off the reciever hitch? Then no one, and I mean no one, would suspect your shame.

I wear pants in my Cab, 'cause it's the law. Unfortunately.

Sorry about your junk...Bro.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts
Default How About Considering a Targa?

I’ve been a life-long cab driver (my first car was a 1958 MGA roadster), and have absolutely LOVED my 997.2 4S Cab since I bought it in 2013. But I have to admit that I’ve been looking at swapping out to a newer 911 and am intrigued by the 991.2 Targa 4 GTS.... Has anyone here had any ownership experience with 991-series Targas? While’s it’s not definitely NOT the full cabriolet experience, the Targa does tick the boxes for an open-top driving experience and does avoid the wrinkly-roof issues that all of our convertible tops suffer .... Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I owned a T-top Firebird TransAm, which felt a lot like the Targa I sat in a few months ago. It feels like what it is, better than a full top but not as good as a convertible.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:48 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
I’ve been a life-long cab driver (my first car was a 1958 MGA roadster), and have absolutely LOVED my 997.2 4S Cab since I bought it in 2013. But I have to admit that I’ve been looking at swapping out to a newer 911 and am intrigued by the 991.2 Targa 4 GTS.... Has anyone here had any ownership experience with 991-series Targas? While’s it’s not definitely NOT the full cabriolet experience, the Targa does tick the boxes for an open-top driving experience and does avoid the wrinkly-roof issues that all of our convertible tops suffer .... Thoughts?
I love the look of the Targa's but no Turbo S leaves too much on the table for me. I'm also particularly attached to the 997 lines, and 997 price haha.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

IIRC, the reviews of the 991 Targa were good. The writers generally carped about wind noise
with the roof open and weight. I have seen them at the local dealership. They are beautiful.
If I could afford one, I'd love a Targa GTS in a bright color+ ceramic brakes.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:45 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I haven’t warmed to the new targas. I can’t see spending extra money for all the complexity of a convertible with only half of the open air experience. Plus, they’re more windy than a cab, or so I’ve read in the magazines.

I also think the the lines are off—they look a little ungainly to me.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:42 AM
GChambers
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrjjordan
Guys, these responses have been fantastic, thank you for taking the time.
I don't think the "tear"/repair/light spot is a dollop of grease as it didn't rub off, feels like someone used an epoxy/heat/etc to seal it.
Knowing that there are people out there using the top a ton and some best practices is a huge help. I feel the same way about convertibles in San Diego - why not, when there's so few downsides?

Last question, what does a new top cost? Is it possible to find these used or aftermarket, or is new OEM the only real option?
Same question. If someone has an answer it would be greatly appreciated.

We're looking at an 07 Cab. The top has the typical wear marks. I'd like to know what it would cost to replace a convertible top before we make the purchase.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2019, 11:04 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

For the 997.1 you can order a top on line and get it installed through autotops direct. The top is $600 and about 10 hours of labor for install. So looking in the $2-3,000 range. For some reason some sites stop at 2008, some have a different top for 09-12, and some use the same top.

Mine has the wear marks but no leaks and has not gotten worse so I left it alone, but last spring I did a bunch of research so my prices may be a little off.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 AM
GChambers
2nd Gear

Thank you for the response. Greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:49 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Hi, again, I remember having seen an installment of "Chasing Classic Cars" where
a new top had to be made for a classic car and Wayne Carini went to a place
in my old hometown, Montclair, NJ. Here is the URL of the place:"
https://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/1895/2002-2012-Porsche-911-996-997-Carrera4-S-4S-Turbo-amp;-Turbo-S-Cabrios"
Old 03-03-2019, 02:53 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

I am sorry, that place seems to be in R.I.
However they seem to have the right stuff and
appear to know what they are talking about.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM
bangsters
Advanced

Can you have the top replaced, are there companies replacing them? If I would go cab, I think the red top on black car would look good.

Last edited by bangsters; 03-03-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 cabriolet owners - unusual wear on the top? Noise? Would you buy a cab again?