Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the socket to remove CL wheels come with all CL cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Did the socket to remove CL wheels come with all CL cars?

I just found mine in a small, cryptic compartment in the lower left hand corner of the frunk. Had no idea I had it.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:08 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

Mine did....it was outlined on page 210 of the owners manual under the section "Practical tips, Emergency Service". There is a graphic showing the cubby where the CL socket is stored in my manual.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boisenelson
Mine did....it was outlined on page 210 of the owners manual under the section "Practical tips, Emergency Service". There is a graphic showing the cubby where the CL socket is stored in my manual.
Gotta have some kind of special wrench to use it though. Mine has a square opening where it would go And then I believe some kind of special grease is supposed to be used to remount to a precise torque number.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:15 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Gotta have some kind of special wrench to use it though. Mine has a square opening where it would go And then I believe some kind of special grease is supposed to be used to remount to a precise torque number.
Yes it comes with the car. You need a 3/4” drive breaker bar and a torque wrench that will do 300+. Many threads about the “Precision Instruments” torque wrench/breaker bar set. If I had ordered a CL car from new I would have gotten 5 lug wheels.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Yup, no purpose for centerlock wheels unless you're tracking a car with timed pit stops. They're one of those things that are supposed to be cool as race technology makes it to the street, but instead are a PITA. The nubs that fit into the backside of the wheels also have a service interval and need to be periodically replaced. If you do all your service at the dealer then it doesn't matter, that is unless you ever need help on the side of the road, and then have to carry that long torque bar and multiplier with you.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:47 AM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

This file is a copy of the instructions from the manual for Center Locks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Center lock.pdf (685.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yup, no purpose for centerlock wheels unless you're tracking a car with timed pit stops. They're one of those things that are supposed to be cool as race technology makes it to the street, but instead are a PITA. The nubs that fit into the backside of the wheels also have a service interval and need to be periodically replaced. If you do all your service at the dealer then it doesn't matter, that is unless you ever need help on the side of the road, and then have to carry that long torque bar and multiplier with you.
And the CLs on the GTS anyway probably take longer to remove and replace than lugs ( if time is important ) . Probably not so much removing them but there are a series of steps for putting them back on and torquing them properly. With lugs it is just pull out the air gun, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom and they are off and boom, boom, boom, boom, boom and they are back on (and a good gun probably lets you pre-set the torque.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.

Yes it comes with the car. You need a 3/4” drive breaker bar and a torque wrench that will do 300+. Many threads about the “Precision Instruments” torque wrench/breaker bar set. If I had ordered a CL car from new I would have gotten 5 lug wheels.
not to mention when you have a flat and most shops won't touch the car. Porsche dealers also want to sell you a new tire as they "don't patch tires" Center lock wheels will probably keep me from ever taking a road trip in this car. Maybe I'm being too paranoid but I've done a few with it and have been to some desolate areas.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they come stock. It's quite the ordeal though to change.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Good info. Thx. Not exactly a useful piece of equipment though given what else you need in order to do anything with it. Never mind that there's no spare in the car to begin with. To be honest though, I've put 40,000 miles on my GTS and the CL wheels has never given me any grief different from what 5 lug wheels would do. Without a spare, a flat in either configuration means flatbed to the dealer either way as I see it. The pump that plugs up to the cigarette lighter is useless as far as I'm concerned as is the "fixa flat" bottle that's part of the package.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Good info. Thx. Not exactly a useful piece of equipment though given what else you need in order to do anything with it. Never mind that there's no spare in the car to begin with. To be honest though, I've put 40,000 miles on my GTS and the CL wheels has never given me any grief different from what 5 lug wheels would do. Without a spare, a flat in either configuration means flatbed to the dealer either way as I see it. The pump that plugs up to the cigarette lighter is useless as far as I'm concerned as is the "fixa flat" bottle that's part of the package.
Originally Posted by pilfer
not to mention when you have a flat and most shops won't touch the car. Porsche dealers also want to sell you a new tire as they "don't patch tires" Center lock wheels will probably keep me from ever taking a road trip in this car. Maybe I'm being too paranoid but I've done a few with it and have been to some desolate areas.
I had a flat in November on the interstate on a relatively new tire. TPMS exclamation point came up on the dash or I wouldn't have noticed until it was too late. Pulled off at the next exit with 18psi left. Luckily there was a truck stop with covered parking (raining hard) and a store where I bought a plug kit. Spent an hour trying to remove the obstruction, finally got it out with some pliers I also bought at the store, installed a plug, used the inflater, and continued on my trip without issue. I drove around on that plug for another few weeks before getting it fixed and as @pilfer noted, no normal tire shop would touch it, not even an indy close by that specializes in "exotic" cars because they didn't have the 3/4" breaker bar.

I called Porsche Louisville and the service manager said bring it over. They put a permanent patch in while I waited and $50 later I was out the door.

So I wouldn't not take a trip in the car but I would be more prepared than I was. The only situation that would cause me to call a flat bed would be if the puncture was in the sidewall at which point it is not repairable with a plug. I think if I were taking a really long trip I would pack the breaker bar and torque wrench so that in the event of a flat-bed situation you could be taken to any tire shop and using your tools they could remove the wheel to install a new tire which would alleviate the need to find a Porsche dealer. At that point your only vulnerability would be tire availability but that doesn't have anything to do with CLs.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

So I wouldn't not take a trip in the car but I would be more prepared than I was. The only situation that would cause me to call a flat bed would be if the puncture was in the sidewall at which point it is not repairable with a plug. I think if I were taking a really long trip I would pack the breaker bar and torque wrench so that in the event of a flat-bed situation you could be taken to any tire shop and using your tools they could remove the wheel to install a new tire which would alleviate the need to find a Porsche dealer. At that point your only vulnerability would be tire availability but that doesn't have anything to do with CLs.

Good and valid points but isn't there also some kind of special lubricant that has to be applied whenever a CL wheel is removed and reinstalled?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

So I wouldn't not take a trip in the car but I would be more prepared than I was. The only situation that would cause me to call a float bed would be if the puncture was in the sidewall at which point it is not repairable with a plug. I think if I were taking a really long trip I would pack the breaker bar and torque wrench so that in the event of a flat-bed situation you could be taken to any tire shop and using your tools they could remove the wheel to install a new tire which would alleviate the need to find a Porsche dealer. At that point your only vulnerability would be tire availability but that doesn't have anything to do with CLs.
Reasonable plan, I’d suggest you also make a copy of the procedure for removing and reinstalling a CL wheel (I think it was/is a Sticky on 6 Speed). Many local shops have no clue when it comes to CLs; doesn’t mean they can’t do, they just may not have much experience. Also, I think there is a special grease for the CL.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:32 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Good and valid points but isn't there also some kind of special lubricant that has to be applied whenever a CL wheel is removed and reinstalled?
yep

Originally Posted by Tcc1999

Reasonable plan, I’d suggest you also make a copy of the procedure for removing and reinstalling a CL wheel (I think it was/is a Sticky on 6 Speed). Many local shops have no clue when it comes to CLs; doesn’t mean they can’t do, they just may not have much experience. Also, I think there is a special grease for the CL.

good idea

Quick Reply: Did the socket to remove CL wheels come with all CL cars?