Sponsored by:

DRIVER SIDE DOOR HANDLE LOOSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:33 AM
dgpnaples
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRIVER SIDE DOOR HANDLE LOOSE

Last weekend I parked my car ( 2008 911 Carrera S) and when I opened my driver side door there was a snap sound and my door handle went limp. The handle does not retrack back into the door panel and therefore does not activate the window sensor to close the window up into the channel. I was able to open the door with the loose handle but when I closed the door, the handle is loose (limp) but the door does lock. I have never taken the panel off so I am guessing that there are two cables that operate the door lock and the window sensor?

Any advise is welcome before I remove the door panel to investigate. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:24 AM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing happened to mine - fortunately the issue happened on my way to getting a blown front speaker replaced shortly after, and the guy doing the speaker used a heavy duty Zip Tie to hold back the plastic part that broke - I can't remember exactly where in the door handle, but the small fragile plastic piece retracts your handle and is prone to breaking. I haven't had an issue since the big Zip Tie.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 AM
dgpnaples
Intermediate

Thanks, good to know, maybe a quick fix like that will work for me. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:12 AM
rap
Racer

I had the same problem. There is a small plastic piece in the handle mechanism that breaks over time.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

That is called an "axle" in the door handle, it's cheap plastic and everyone of us will have that problem sooner or later.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Ksgarcia
AutoX

Same issue happened to me about a year ago. I got a new internal door handle from the dealer and replaced it myself. Believe it was less than 30 dollars for the part.

The install wasn't too much of a challenge, just need to be careful popping the door card off. Follow these instructions from the DIY Index: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l-removal.html

Quick Reply: DRIVER SIDE DOOR HANDLE LOOSE