997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new indy scratched my seat...

Old 03-05-2019, 12:39 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

You can also buy new leather from Porsche and have the seat re-covered.

To get that scratch out, you might have to sand the whole area and re-dye.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:50 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,411 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Just lick your finger and rub it out - No big deal
OR
Sell your car and UBER
Old 03-05-2019, 06:37 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 289 Posts

I'm amazed that there's a thread with 2 pages on this.

Stop obsessing about something you won't see when you actually go drive your car people.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I drive my car every day, but if somebody damaged my car, I'd want it fixed. There's nothing wrong with investigating options on how to get it done or do it himself.

If you don't mind other people tearing up your stuff, that's cool.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:03 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

I've got a solution (serious - not joking):

I've got a pair of powered, heated, memory, ventilated comfort seats in sand beige i'll sell you for $500.... that'll take care of many more techs and scratches in the future.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

^^I've got a better solution - I suggest OP wrap his seats in thick plastic like my 90 year old Italian relatives do with their sofa and lamp shades.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:58 AM
Stanisl0ve
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
I'm amazed that there's a thread with 2 pages on this.

Stop obsessing about something you won't see when you actually go drive your car people.
Can’t be a serious statement. When you take your car to a professional for service, you expect to have it returned to you in at least as good condition as when you initially dropped it off.

Personally, I don’t like it when the AC guy comes to my house, fixes the AC, but shatters two windows doing it - do you?
Old 03-07-2019, 01:00 AM
Stanisl0ve
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Conditioners will not fix a scrape, in fact conditioners won't do anything on modern leather seats except sit on top of the finish. Because modern leather seats are painted, not dyed. The only way to fix that scrape would be to repaint it. If done well it will be invisible (I have done my seatback outer bolster), but be aware that the repainted finish (no matter who does it or what company the paint comes from) is more vulnerable to solvents than the original finish. Any product containing alcohol will dissolve the paint. So once you have a "redye" you need to be sure you or any shop you take it to, nobody uses anything other than water and a very mild soap. This is why those leather refinisher guys get most of their work at dealerships, prepping cars for resale. Personally I think if you can DIY it's so economical it makes sense to deal with the downside. I wouldn't pay a couple hundred bucks for someone to do it though. I once did just that, and the job the dealer-recommended "pro" did was not as good as what I DIYed. It's just not that much rocket science.
0% chance I would pay out of pocket to fix this. The indy will be on the hook. Customer service 101.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:47 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stanisl0ve

Can’t be a serious statement. When you take your car to a professional for service, you expect to have it returned to you in at least as good condition as when you initially dropped it off.

Personally, I don’t like it when the AC guy comes to my house, fixes the AC, but shatters two windows doing it - do you?
Pointless exaggeration.

That's if to say the mechanic shattered the windows in the car and was like oops.

If you've ever undone a single bolt on any car you'll have realized you step in and out of the car several times - sometimes with tools, or things in your pocket or a myriad of factors. Small to decent chance maybe you nick something in the process - it happens.

What's at stake here is that PO contact the shop about it to see if there's a resolution. And if not - there are a ton of products that can help mitigate the "severity" of this scratch. And if not - I don't know... car must be a write off. Launch it off a cliff. Consider seppoku. The world is over.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:45 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

^^OP's title in 1st post says "My New Indy". If I had a new Indy doing work on my car, if there were any issues with slight damage or scratches, I would be quick to bring it up and resolve it.
If a new Indy plans on return business, they would certainly step up to the plate and remedy IF they were responsible honest people.
If the "scratch" on OP's seat was not photographed as a close up, and the photo taken from stand up position a normal eyesight distance way, I believe the scratch would be hard to see OR extremely minute compared to the extreme closeup image above. It's easy to make things look worse with proper lighting/etc.

I'm as **** as the next guy and probably worse, but personally, I don't think I would have even noticed this scratch on a pair of normal non-sport seats with perforated leather....And if I did notice this, I would simply buff it out with a cloth and leather care product making it look better and not ruminate over it.
And as far as giving OP crap, it is all in good fun - Nothing personal. We all get bent out of shape at times and understandable.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 PM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hexagone
And if not - I don't know... car must be a write off. Launch it off a cliff. Consider seppoku. The world is over.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

I would have brought it to the attention of the indy right away. Not much they could do about it but at least its got to be good for an oil change or two.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:54 PM
911Consultant
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
^^I've got a better solution - I suggest OP wrap his seats in thick plastic like my 90 year old Italian relatives do with their sofa and lamp shades.
LOL, what he said.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:38 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Well regardless of where you stand on these things, one thing is for sure - the longer you dilly dally over it, the less likely the indy will make it right. When these things happen, you need to go back right away. If not, then there is the suspicion that someone else did the damage. These shops get claims of damage all the time, some legit, some not. Don't be afraid to address it either. Even the best shops make mistakes sometimes. Just be professional, matter of fact, and don't be one of those freak-out people, and you'll get a good result. Wait a week, and you'll get a justifiably suspicious look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new indy scratched my seat...