Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Driver side door won't open!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
Default HELP: Driver side door won't open!

No, this is not the famous (or infamous) situation where the inside door release flops around due to breakage of the spring mechanism.

Got home today and could not get out of the car and ultimately had to resort to exiting out the passenger door. Currently this is what's happening:
  1. The interior door open latch works well (does not flop around), I can hear the solenoids activate and the window rolls down the usual 1/2 inch.
  2. The door release mechanism doesn't seem to "catch".
  3. Using the key to open the car from the outside does not work but it does turn either way without any resistance. I can also hear the solenoids activate and the window rolls down the usual 1/2 inch in open mode.
  4. Using the dash lock/unlock button also activates the solenoid but still the door will not open.
  5. The car battery is less than 18 months old and all that's electrical works well.
Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

PS: My car is a 2009 997.2 C2
Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a plastic piece on the door mechanism that I just had replaced. Slightly similar problem.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

OK...

But since I can't open the door, how do I get to it? How do/can I remove the door panel with the door closed?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Well, mystery solved... ALMOST.

I got in touch with my independent shop and the owner walked me through the process of opening the door. At first I was a bit incredulous but what the hey...

He said "Go over to the car, unlock it using the button on the key, make a fist (I'm not making this up!!), and with the back of the fist thump the door above the latch 3-4 times and now open the door using the external handle". VOILA!!!

Next, he told me to get on my favorite parts site (Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, Oregon) and order the Door Latch Motor, part number 3D1-837-015-C. I called, spoke to Luke, their super parts guy, who confirmed that he had the part and would take it over to their shipping department to await my order.

BTW: The part has a list price of $210 and they're asking $152.00 plus $10.00 shipping via Priority Mail from Oregon to Puerto Rico... not bad!
Old 07-30-2023, 02:35 PM
DMR787
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astur
Well, mystery solved... ALMOST.

I got in touch with my independent shop and the owner walked me through the process of opening the door. At first I was a bit incredulous but what the hey...

He said "Go over to the car, unlock it using the button on the key, make a fist (I'm not making this up!!), and with the back of the fist thump the door above the latch 3-4 times and now open the door using the external handle". VOILA!!!

Next, he told me to get on my favorite parts site (Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, Oregon) and order the Door Latch Motor, part number 3D1-837-015-C. I called, spoke to Luke, their super parts guy, who confirmed that he had the part and would take it over to their shipping department to await my order.

BTW: The part has a list price of $210 and they're asking $152.00 plus $10.00 shipping via Priority Mail from Oregon to Puerto Rico... not bad!
Dude, it’s 2023 and I just solved this thanks to this thread. 🙏🙏🙏 I need to know, who’s your indi??? *Also from Puerto Rico 🇵🇷
The following users liked this post:
dmpslc (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 01:21 PM
gaiakai
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So you had to knock to open the door? That's hilarious
The following 2 users liked this post by gaiakai:
B911L (07-31-2023), dmpslc (07-31-2023)

Quick Reply: HELP: Driver side door won't open!