Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 AM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This weekend I went to the local dealer and wanted to test ride a gt3rs. Salesman said no unless you buy it first. If you don't like it you get your money back.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Thanks for all the great and interesting advice and thoughts. It went very well. Buyer drove out with his friend from about 2 hours out. They both loved the Atlas Grey color and condition of my car. The test drive started with me behind the wheel. I wanted to warm it up properly and get to know him more. About 20 miles from home and a quick hwy drive, I turned it over to him and took him on some backroads to get back home. He gave me full asking price ( 51,900 ) and a down payment check. He will be back for the car when his funds clear the bank ( I have a loan on it ) Super nice guy , both he and his friend. I am happy that this car is going to him. My car comes with three sets of wheels/tires and CPO till 11/19, so I feel good about the sale.
That's great! My last three car deals have been private party, and I'm fully convinced it's the best way to buy/sell. I am glad it worked out well for you and also glad that your ride is going to a good home.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 PM
DaBigBR
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
I am in the no test drive camp. Test drives were first used by car dealers to hook you on a specific car. Once you've sat in the car and driven it you start to think of it as yours and are less likely to walk away.
I'm pretty sure engagement rings were started by a store trying to sell jewellery, but it sure is a bitch getting engaged without one anymore...

I get both sides of the issue and I think a PPI probably negates most of the concerns you would allay with a test drive, but I would 100% understand somebody walking away from a car they weren't allowed to drive.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,693 Posts

Congrats - Always nice to get your asking price and have sale go smoothly
Old 02-20-2019, 10:40 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGM5S8
This weekend I went to the local dealer and wanted to test ride a gt3rs. Salesman said no unless you buy it first. If you don't like it you get your money back.
I wouldn't have a problem with this being a fairly rare car. There is the opportunity to inspect it both visually and mechanically and not much chance the dealership could balk at these requests. I'd expect the drive to be fine unless it was too loud or harsh and I'd end up driving it home.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

I would think that test driving the car the right way would be one of the things that would lock in the sale ..... I would never buy a car, especially a used one, without driving it first. Vibrations, throttle response, brake problems etc can only be discerned by actually piloting. I do understand the looky lous, but you should be able to vett them out. Of course you drive first, take it to redline let them hear and feel going thru the gears(drive it like your trying to impress a hot date) then let them drive, but not like you did. Bam - sold
Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
You make the judgement call. What they drove up in does factor in if you get the sense they own the vehicle. Someone wrecking a 2003 M3 on a test drive is not surprising due to the current cost of that car and the market for it at this moment. Someone made a bad judgement call on the potential buyer taking a test drive in that car. It's not so much about letting someone test drive the car but about being a judge of character and looking at the situation from a big picture perspective.

Where did the buyer say they are coming to visit the car from? Like what part of town do they live in. You don't need to ask this directly, be clever.
What kind of previous sports cars have they owned? Again, no need to be direct about this, talk sports cars if you're a car enthusiast this will be transparent as conversation.
Have they test driven other 911s? Which ones? When? What did they think? Again.. this is regular run of the mill car enthusiast conversation and you're gathering data needed to make a decision. No need to directly start with a list of questions.

It should be very easy to filter out someone who you don't feel comfortable with driving your car.
These are good suggestions but I don't think there's a bullet proof formula for letting a stranger drive your 997 or any other high end sports car for that matter. Had a bad experience selling a 1993 twin turbo Mazda RX7 years ago. A guy shows up in what looked like a brand new BMW, in his late 30's age wise I guessed and dressed like he just finished a long day at a law office. So I saw no reason to be concerned. But I was wrong. I let him drive and he just plain beat the sh**t out of that car. I soon told him to pull over and I drove us back to my house and his car. Till this day I swear this was a bogus buyer out for a joy ride who dressed up and possibly borrowed a friend's car to make a good impression.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:02 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 395 Posts

What can you get for test driving a car?

1. How the clutch feels, high, low, funny
2. Handling while driving, rattles, shimmy, vibration
3. How the brakes grab, not grab, pulling to one side, soft pedals, does ABS work?
4. How the power is delivered, instantaneously, power lag, throttle response

There is no need to take it to the limits to find these answers. I know that some of us stay celibate until after marriage, but I believe in premarital sex. Hence, test driving before buying.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:04 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,693 Posts

I don;t think anyone is questioning whether or not a test drive should be granted to a buyer - I think this goes without saying.
It is the way in which you conduct the test drive which should be the focus of the discussion.
As I mention in my earlier post, due to A-hole factor, sitting in passengers seat next to buyer who is driving your car is the best way to be assured buyer will control himself and not take car to it's limits.
If buyer doesn't conduct himself properly you have him pull over - Plain and simple.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Thanks for all the great and interesting advice and thoughts. It went very well. Buyer drove out with his friend from about 2 hours out. They both loved the Atlas Grey color and condition of my car. The test drive started with me behind the wheel. I wanted to warm it up properly and get to know him more. About 20 miles from home and a quick hwy drive, I turned it over to him and took him on some backroads to get back home. He gave me full asking price ( 51,900 ) and a down payment check. He will be back for the car when his funds clear the bank ( I have a loan on it ) Super nice guy , both he and his friend. I am happy that this car is going to him. My car comes with three sets of wheels/tires and CPO till 11/19, so I feel good about the sale.
Great that the test drive resulted in a sale. Hope the remainder of the transaction goes smoothly.

What is next in your garage?

Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What year

What year was your car? Congrats on sale , next?

Quick Reply: Test drives