Sponsored by:

997.2 Cross Over Pipe/Center Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default 997.2 Cross Over Pipe/Center Muffler Delete

I am debating about removing the center muffler in my 997.2 for a cross over pipe. I do not want it loud, just a touch more, and I prefer to do things to the car that can be reversed. So does the cross over pipe give it more or less sound than those with the sports exhaust system? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:17 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to hear it for yourself. It doesn't release loads of sound tbh. It just depends on how much noise you want, best asking around for someone near you can give you a listen
Old 02-17-2019, 04:50 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi Doclouie,
I'm about to continue my exhaust odyssey when I return to Australia, I have a 997.2 C2S 6sp, and until quite recently, it has been altogether underwhelming in the aural stimulus depatment.
The first item on the agenda has been ticked off, with a commitment to further modifications as listed:
DONE- genuine PSE side mufflers, but electronic/vacuum control has not been completed yet. So they sit in the default open at all times position. Very tuneful, but not obscene.
TO DO- Set up the "Home brew hombre" PSE valve controller. Some vac hose, a couple of 4mm Y pieces, a generic vac solenoid, a fob remote controlled switch to open close the vac solenoid..
TO DO- Fabspeed headers with 200 cell cats, sitting in a box at home, ready for me to fit.
TO DO- Topgear centre merge muffler delete pipe, (similar design to the Fabspeed x-over) sitting in a box at home, ready for me to fit.
TO DO- IPD intake plenum. related to sound I suppose......sitting in a box at home, ready for me to fit.

I will let you know how it sounds, but in reality, just do it.

Sooooo excited!
Old 02-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Loud

Originally Posted by doclouie
I am debating about removing the center muffler in my 997.2 for a cross over pipe. I do not want it loud, just a touch more, and I prefer to do things to the car that can be reversed. So does the cross over pipe give it more or less sound than those with the sports exhaust system? Thanks.
removal of center muffler delete will definitely not be “loud” - mine has Billyboat Center , 2” hacked side cans and fabspeed dual speed intake - that’s LOUD, but not obnoxious, should be perfect for what you’re looking for - if your looking for something more simplistic in terms of labor , the fabspeed intake definitely adds some sound and a bit more top end power - ez removal

Last edited by Redhot2474; 02-17-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

A couple of years ago I also did the center muffler delete with Billy Boat cross pipes and a 2 inch Gundo Hack. It's not overly loud but it does sing to me beyond 3,000 RPM.

Don't think about it anymore, just do it and you'll never look back. Worse case and if it's too much for you, you can always re-install the center muffler... but you won't!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:04 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

So I live in the sticks in Texas. In my 5 years of living where I do I have seen 2 911s. I know one of them, but it is a 991.2. So I have nobody to “listen” to without a 2 hour drive down to Houston. I have heard the sports exhaust and that is just about perfect for me. I am just wondering on my 997.2 if the center cross over on its own is louder of softer than the sports exhaust.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first purchased my 997.2 S new in 2012, I did the sharkworks center muffler bypass. It was good but to me very subtle. It makes the car sound like a sports car. Last summer I decided to go with the PSE offered by Porsche as a retrofit. It wasn’t cheap, but I love the sound. I usually don’t turn up the noise until the engine is warm because the sound makes me want to “put my foot in it. “. My 9 year old grandson noticed the the different sound on first day I picked up the car after the PSE installation. His second question was can we do something to make fire come out the exhaust? The sound is not Mustang Cobra like, but it does catch attention without being obnoxious.
In short, I was stretching to get the Porsche in 2012 but I wish I had paid the price and ordered the car with the PSE in the beginning as I have missed some years of enjoyment.
Oh, I am 69!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Based upon the research that I did, a center muffler change would not make that much of a difference in sound compared to a side muffler change. As a result, here were the options I faced that you face yourself:
  1. If you want to decrease some weight and make a minimal sound change and potentially increase power a bit, I'd go with center muffler change and it's completely reversible.
  2. If you want to make your car sound better in an OEM like way, you can either retrofit with PSE which is at least OEM or you can go with a gundo hack which is much cheaper but not reversible.
  3. If you really want to make your car sound louder / better (depending on your opinion), then you should go with other aftermarket side mufflers which can likely save weight and is reversible.
I went with #2 and really like the sound of my car with Fister sport exhausts which also have the titanium ceramic coating. It didn't really increase the volume much but really improved the tone / note. I know it's not reversible but I have no regrets, think the car should have come this way, and I plan on keeping my car for a long time.
Take a look here if you're interested: https://fdmotorsports.net/shop?olsPa...t-modification
Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey Guys,

I have a .2 with Gundo mufflers. It sound infinitely better than stock. I am considering the center cross-over pipes but am not interested in more volume, just more rasp and sound. Will this not be a good solution for me? I just want a little more, like the OP.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Have the PSE and getting sharkwerks bypass put on Wednesday. Happy to do some recordings of each.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:24 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Have the PSE and getting sharkwerks bypass put on Wednesday. Happy to do some recordings of each.
That would be very cool!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I just got a crossover pipe on order today. I like the idea that it is removable and backwards compatible in case I don’t like it. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:25 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I just got a crossover pipe on order today. I like the idea that it is removable and backwards compatible in case I don’t like it. Thanks for everyone’s input.
It really doesn't change the sound all that much and I was underwhelmed after installing mine. I find it to be deeper but not necessarily louder and this is on a car with PSE. I doubt you will find it too loud...we don't see many center muffler bypasses for sale around here...
Old 02-18-2019, 10:57 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience; I bought a 997.2 from a gentleman who had done the Gundo hack. The sound was pretty decent, but nothing spectacular. He wanted to do the SW bypass but his wife nixed it (although in the car, it was downright quiet: then again, she drives a Tesla, go figure...) Upon buying the car, the first thing I did was install the SW bypass. It sounded a bit better at 2500 rpm, but much, much louder when above 5k. I highly recommend it. With my friend driving it and I standing outside, It was the most amazing sound; a literal buzzsaw ripping away. I could hear him 1/2 mile later, and still immediately note that it was a flat 6 engine. There is nothing like that sound.

The .2 I sold to Kellen had PSE, but you could barely hear anything inside the car. I would say that the sound with PSE was "barely adequate" I am interested what he thinks of it once the bypass pipes are installed.

The 991 PSE is much more aggressive for some reason. They really stepped up their game on that car. Every time one passes me while I am out riding my road bike, it sounds pretty darn good. Still, if I ever own one, I will do a Sharky bypass on it as well. One of the best things about driving a flat 6 is the sound. There is nothing like it: it has such a signature to it. I can be walking down the street at night and immediately know if the car about to pass by is a Porsche, even when it is still 50 feet back.

There is a guy on my street with a really nice .2 C2S in Aqua. His car doesn't have any exhaust mods, and it sounds so docile.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:35 PM
C4SNY
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts

Here’s a video of my car with PSE. 1st video is with pse off, second with it on and last with pse on with fabspeed x pipe installed.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Cross Over Pipe/Center Muffler Delete