Sponsored by:

hey everyone-need help on this car!

Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
Yeah, he reserved it! I thought it had more miles? I can't even find the listing though. It should be here next week-sorry, 3 weeks! Just got an update
Welcome!

I was going to say "jump on that one" because the .2 cars are hard to find and really hard to find in blue. The PDK is a great semi-automatic transmission, totally different than a Tiptronic, which I wouldn't endorse, but nothing wrong with a PDK. I'm a manual guy, but if I was going to DD a car, I would possibly consider a PDK. Of my 6 vehicles, the only ones that are automatics are the pickup truck and the Cayenne Turbo. I almost bought a Cayenne GTS just to get it with a manual, but in the end the extra 150 HP of the Turbo S won that battle (it now has 100 more from mods), so I hear you on the preference for the manual, but PDK in manual mode can be decent, and it's actually faster. If the car doesn't have real paddles on the wheel, make those one of your first upgrades.

Nice avatar too
t
Old 02-16-2019, 02:48 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,410 Likes on 2,687 Posts

^^ I second that - Manual transmission is a must if that's what you want ----> Don't settle for PDK just not the same and you will probably be disappointed after time.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Scottc714
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never driven a PDK car or one with any kind of paddles so I cant give any opinion on that. All my cars are for fun driving and none will ever be DD's. Im a contractor so my DD is and always will be an
F250 diesel truck.

I talked myself into the Tip after exhaustive reading and research and thought it wasnt so bad after test driving it, but it became boring very quickly. I would go on a run with my 993 6 spd and it would just reinforce my wishing I had waited for a 6TT in manual.
For me its just any kind of shifting at the steering wheel isnt my thing. Im just old school going back to Vw bugs and dozens of other manuals in my past. I enjoy shifting and clutch pedals.
I found out that having 1 manual car did not make up for the short comings of the automatic in the other car for me. Were all different so we have to make our own choices.
I took a loss on the Tip car but Im happy now with my 997 manual that replaced it. Im sure there are others who have gone through this as well and others who had the opposite experience.

Listen to your little voice and good luck with your purchase OP.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:24 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone-will let you know what happens. The car will get test driven: maybe it works with the paddles, maybe not.

I had a Cayenne S on loan recently with paddles, and wasn't bored at all. Much different car though. If this were my only car, I would want a manual. I have the GTS though and I love that car, so perhaps this will be different enough, and not a disappointment in any way, that I won't mind the PDK.

I DD the GTS once or twice a week. It doesn't work if I take kids to school, and believe me, they WANT to go to school in a 911
Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Welcome!

I was going to say "jump on that one" because the .2 cars are hard to find and really hard to find in blue. The PDK is a great semi-automatic transmission, totally different than a Tiptronic, which I wouldn't endorse, but nothing wrong with a PDK. I'm a manual guy, but if I was going to DD a car, I would possibly consider a PDK. Of my 6 vehicles, the only ones that are automatics are the pickup truck and the Cayenne Turbo. I almost bought a Cayenne GTS just to get it with a manual, but in the end the extra 150 HP of the Turbo S won that battle (it now has 100 more from mods), so I hear you on the preference for the manual, but PDK in manual mode can be decent, and it's actually faster. If the car doesn't have real paddles on the wheel, make those one of your first upgrades.

Nice avatar too
t
I saw your ad for those forged wheels; do you still have them, if we were to get the 911? I think they would fit, no? I am not a fan of the OEM wheels
Old 02-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Scottc714
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone-will let you know what happens. The car will get test driven: maybe it works with the paddles, maybe not.

I had a Cayenne S on loan recently with paddles, and wasn't bored at all. Much different car though. If this were my only car, I would want a manual. I have the GTS though and I love that car, so perhaps this will be different enough, and not a disappointment in any way, that I won't mind the PDK.

I DD the GTS once or twice a week. It doesn't work if I take kids to school, and believe me, they WANT to go to school in a 911
It sounds to me like youll be fine and even happy with the PDK for your driving needs.

Go for it!!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:47 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scottc714
It sounds to me like youll be fine and even happy with the PDK for your driving needs.

Go for it!!
Sure!

What about the 2012 991 2S for the same price locally? Basically the same car, right? Shouldn't the "newer" car be more money? The MSRP on that one is $123,000
Old 02-16-2019, 05:31 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure!

What about the 2012 991 2S for the same price locally? Basically the same car, right? Shouldn't the "newer" car be more money? The MSRP on that one is $123,000
Used car has so many variables that the price itself can't tell the whole story. All my friends own 991.1 and I had an offer to buy 2014 4S with more less similar options (more milage) for same price. My friends advice is "buy the latest model you can afford".The interior of the 991 definitely look and feel modern. It's wheel base is longer and the tail LED light is beautiful. The drive is what really stand out for the 997.2, hard to describe, magnetized me to keep on drive it it. I finally went for 997.2 4GTS. The lesson is 991 and 997 are different enough that once you test drive them, you will definitely have clear idea of which one you want to buy. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:02 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmstar
Used car has so many variables that the price itself can't tell the whole story. All my friends own 991.1 and I had an offer to buy 2014 4S with more less similar options (more milage) for same price. My friends advice is "buy the latest model you can afford".The interior of the 991 definitely look and feel modern. It's wheel base is longer and the tail LED light is beautiful. The drive is what really stand out for the 997.2, hard to describe, magnetized me to keep on drive it it. I finally went for 997.2 4GTS. The lesson is 991 and 997 are different enough that once you test drive them, you will definitely have clear idea of which one you want to buy. Good luck.
This one is crazy clean, never seen rain...I need to go drive it after I drive the 997
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Sure!

2S narrow body vs 4S wide body. I had an S cab and although I modded it and loved it, I always missed the wide body look. Just me. That said, the PDK w button shift vs paddles has one distinct advantage; I can drive with either hand and hold my coffee w the other. ;-)
As long as you keep a MT then you'll be happy w the PDK and the 4S price is excellent. The Tiptronic is my least favorite transmission however, and its in my favorite car.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:24 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

997 vs 991
https://www.total911.com/997-vs-991/
Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I saw your ad for those forged wheels; do you still have them, if we were to get the 911? I think they would fit, no? I am not a fan of the OEM wheels
Yes, the ad is in the Marketplace and still available. Let me know.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sure!

What you're seeing here is the 997.2 value-bolding at work. The 991 isn't very different than the 991.2 so 991 values are still depreciating whereas 997.2 cars are very flat at this point, and may even be going the other way. I would bet you could buy he 997.2, drive it for 2 years and sell it for what you paid for it, compared to the 991 that will be 10-15k less 2 years from now. The 997 platform is, for lack of a better term, "magical". It's the right size for a sports car, has the right combination of analog and more current amenities, and still feels like a 911 should with the hydraulic steering instead of electric, though the AWD 4S isn't quite as pure in this regard, but may not be a bad tradeoff for DD stability and confidence.

Drive both and decide which fills your 911 need, since you already have an even "sportier" Porsche with its MT and 2 seats.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottc714
For me its just any kind of shifting at the steering wheel isnt my thing.
I don't care for that either so I use the gear lever all the time. Hardly ever touch the paddles for two reasons. The throw is too long (Porsche can learn something from Benz on this) and shifting the PDK with the gear lever feels quicker and closer to a manual. Probably because your right hand is sort of doing what it used to do.

Not directed at you but I'm surprised at how many posts pop up here on a regular basis from PDK drivers who don't know how to use it to get the performance and feel that it was designed for. Some don't have sport chrono paired with it and complain about it being sluggish and boring. No joke. PDK without SC may be worse than TIP. Others have SC but seem afraid or at least hesitant to use sport plus mode. Others have tried sport plus but only in auto mode and off the track and wrote off sport plus for that reason. I would too and I could go on.

What transferred me from a die hard manual to the PDK was a sales guy at Champion Porsche in Pompano Beach in FL. I was skeptical but he basically told me that after the oil temp is warmed up, there's only one PDK configuration for must have manual guys and that's sport plus, manual mode and shift with the gear lever. Forget the buttons on that worthless wheel and forget the paddles on the sport wheel. That did it for me.

I know there are some that absolutely must have that third pedal but there is a viable option which is to learn what the PDK can do and how to make it do it and it's clearly the future based on an abundance of sales figures of manuals vs. PDK or other makers with similar dual clutch options. Speaking of options, again....Ferrari and Lambo won't give you that third pedal anymore no matter how much you're offering to pay. Not an option. Period. It's a dying technology which I think was part of my willingness to adapt to the future rather than stubbornly insisting on holding on to the past. Another way of looking at this never ending issue. That's all.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default PDK

I absolutely love my PDK , drove my friends manual 911 and found it rather sluggish and boring (same model 997.2), Maybe I’m a bad Person to ask , I also love rag tops😆

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hey everyone-need help on this car!