997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey everyone-need help on this car!

Old 02-15-2019, 01:51 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hey everyone-need help on this car!

Hey y'all,

My husband has been looking for a 911 for me-us. I have a manual Cayman GTS (bought last fall) but we want a 911 as well, and I love the wide hips of the 997 and the overall classic look. I want blue: I wanted blue in my GTS, but we ended up with lipstick red. My M4 is also blue, but we are selling that!

He found this car; it isn't advertised anywhere, but has very low miles, 11,000 I think. It isn't a stick, but I'll live I suppose. It is a desert car, which is nice. It is a 4S, blue. I think it needs a ducktail though! I used to see a 4S ducktail around KC, and that car stole my heart! Before that, I said "the 911 is so feminine and dainty, not for me". I still think that, which is why ours needs a ducktail.

What do you think in terms of being desirable, and in terms of price? I don't want to overpay of course, but I we can pay good money for the "right" car. We have also been looking at 2012-2013 private party 2S in the mid 60's range, which are pretty easy to find. I like the idea of this as my daily car. I got hosed driving the M4 for a couple of years. At the rate of depreciation I took, the car would soon be worth negative money. I sold it private party for $39,000, and it only had 29,000 miles. Manual, yas marina blue, full leather, OEM carbon spoiler, OEM exhaust. We practically had to beg someone to buy our damn car, and here we thought we did well when we grabbed it at basically auction price back in 2016 for $57k.

I would buy a GT3 if it had 4 seats, so 4S it is I suppose.

I don't have any pictures, sorry. Here is the build sheet he pulled up online

What do you think? Good daily car? More affordable than the damn BMW? I can't see this car losing about $10,000 for every 10,000 miles I drive

Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,412 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Well the warranty started on my Birthday so it must be a great example.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Well the warranty started on my Birthday so it must be a great example.
8-years old next month and already with a Porsche in the garage. Impressive!
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

You don’t provide asking price on blue 911.
You dont say how long you kept you M before selling. Hard to know if the depreciation was “reasonable”

Assuming this blue 911 is a 2011 car - the depreciation curve should slow - but they ALL depreciate.
Personally I think it’s a mistake to settle for an automatic transmission f you have your heart set on a manual.
Every time you drive it - EVERY TIME - you’ll be reminded of what you settled for.
Decide what’s most important and then don’t compromise. If blue is a must-have you can always wrap it (pricey but color can be changed).
Transmission is much more difficult to change and would be a big negative when selling.

Porsche GT cars and Turbos hold value better than “regular” 911s.
If you look at MSRP versus asking price you’ll see how much they depreciate and it’s worst in the first 3 years and then tapers off.

Good luck. I would look for a manual if that is your hearts desire.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:37 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
You dont say how long you kept you M before selling. Hard to know if the depreciation was “reasonable”

Assuming this blue 911 is a 2011 car - the depreciation curve should slow - but they ALL depreciate.
Personally I think it’s a mistake to settle for an automatic transmission f you have your heart set on a manual.
Every time you drive it - EVERY TIME - you’ll be reminded of what you settled for.
Decide what’s most important and then don’t compromise. If blue is a must-have you can always wrap it (pricey but color can be changed).
Transmission is much more difficult to change and would be a big negative when selling.

If you look at MSRP versus asking price you’ll see how much they depreciate and it’s worst in the first 3 years and then tapers off.

I drove the M4 for a bit less than 2 years, and it was 1.5 years old when I got it. I put 20,000 miles on her.

I do have a manual Cayman.

We looked at turbos, but they are like 1/2 of MSRP. Are you sure about depreciation? I saw a really nice, super low mile one for sale in the marketplace (in green), rare car, 2011 with 19,000 miles, and that one is the same $ of msrp that the car I am looking at is, and even assuming depreciation ratio is the same as the carrera going forward, we are talking about a $100,000 car, not a $65,000 car, which is going to carry more depreciation in dollar terms.

GT cars I get, but I need 4 seats.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,412 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
8-years old next month and already with a Porsche in the garage. Impressive!
was 53 yrs old on 3/14/2011 - Wish I was 8 back then
60's gonna b rough
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Mmmmm Aqua blue on Stone gray!! My favorite combo and it doesn't come around that often. I would say 58K since it's PDK.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:39 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

I believe this car was for sale at Carmax like a week or two ago.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:33 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
I believe this car was for sale at Carmax like a week or two ago.
It is the car from Carmax. I believe it was 66900, which is pretty reasonable for a rare color c4s with 8k miles.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:47 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Depreciation is a tricky thing and of course it seems like you took a big percentage hit on your BMW. I was actuallly thinking of 2002-2004 turbos that are fetching low-mid $50s which seems like a LOT for that vintage but that has nothing to do with your target car. You’re right - the higher they start (typically) the harder they fall.

What stood out most were the words: “I’ll live I suppose” in reference to the transmission.

If you’ll have a big smile on your face whether stick or not - sounds like a nice car assuming PPI checks out.
If you’re trying to justify the transmission - but in reality you’re going to be annoyed by the “wrong” transmission every time you drive it - then keep looking.
It’s too much money and too important to compromise on something that you’ll interact with multiple times every time you drive it. Especially since it might be used daily. If the automatic won’t “bother” you and take away from enjoyment it does give you more options when shopping.

Best of luck. Hope you find the “dream” car!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:04 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by rjaudi
It is the car from Carmax. I believe it was 66900, which is pretty reasonable for a rare color c4s with 8k miles.
Yeah, he reserved it! I thought it had more miles? I can't even find the listing though. It should be here next week-sorry, 3 weeks! Just got an update
Old 02-15-2019, 05:10 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Depreciation is a tricky thing and of course it seems like you took a big percentage hit on your BMW. I was actuallly thinking of 2002-2004 turbos that are fetching low-mid $50s which seems like a LOT for that vintage but that has nothing to do with your target car. You’re right - the higher they start (typically) the harder they fall.

What stood out most were the words: “I’ll live I suppose” in reference to the transmission.

If you’ll have a big smile on your face whether stick or not - sounds like a nice car assuming PPI checks out.
If you’re trying to justify the transmission - but in reality you’re going to be annoyed by the “wrong” transmission every time you drive it - then keep looking.
It’s too much money and too important to compromise on something that you’ll interact with multiple times every time you drive it. Especially since it might be used daily. If the automatic won’t “bother” you and take away from enjoyment it does give you more options when shopping.

Best of luck. Hope you find the “dream” car!
It was a bit "tongue in cheek" (the manual comment)

We were also looking at a 2012 locally, but it is the newer body style, similar money, similar mileage, but in white. It has the super-sweet sport suspension (which I love on my GTS) and the higher end sport seats (which I also have on my GTS). That one he found on craigslist; it is also paddle-shifters. This Aqua Blue 4S doesn't have the "sport" suspension option nor the "sport" seats, so maybe it is inferior? Or more sought after, due to the rarity of the car and color? I an buy anyone one of 15 2012 or later 911's in white right now, while I don't see any Aqua Blue 911's from that earlier generation for sale.

I can get my manual fix on the Cayman; a paddle-shift car isn't terrible for heavy traffic. My commute includes some rushhour stuff.

Speaking of which, they are very different cars I understand; which do you think will speak to me more? I am planning on driving both, but who knows when the Aqua Blue 4S will show. Carmax said up to 3 weeks, and I am worried the 2012 will be gone by then.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:11 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the link. Pictures are gone though.

http://www.carmax.com/car/17018102
Old 02-16-2019, 01:05 AM
Scottc714
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time you drive it - EVERY TIME - you’ll be reminded of what you settled for

This!! Been there done that and never again. I bought and sold a 996 TT within a year and a half because I talked myself into the tiptronic and got taken to the cleaners in the process. get what you WANT, and dont settle for less
Old 02-16-2019, 03:23 AM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjaudi
According to https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AB2A9XBS721005/
New was $118,115.00 in 2012 dollar sense. The fact it has only 9K miles, it's practically almost new! At $66,900 at today money value for an almost new 2012 997.2 C4S, I think it's reasonable pending on PPI. On top, I love the Aqua Blue Metallic on wide body, Sports Exhaust System, 12-Way Power Seats and Sport Chrono Package Plus ready for you launch it to the moon! I was in the same boat few months ago, need 2 small back seats for my kids, (sold my 7000 miles 2016 Cayman S PDK, bought a 8000 miles 2012 997.2 4-GTS PDK) so the number I see isn't far off from my last purchase. Since you're already own a Cayman GTS manual, use is as your base to specs your next 911. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hey everyone-need help on this car!