Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA - Avoid ClimaRepair like the PLAGUE

Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 PM
ericmwalsh
User

Exclamation PSA - Avoid ClimaRepair like the PLAGUE

Hey Rennlist,

I'm a newer 997 C2S 6MT owner, just got mine this past December. I immediately have proceeded to add my own little "touches"... FD Motorsports sport exhausts, new stone guards, numeric racing shifter, LaPower bluetooth adapter, etc. I also planned on fixing my worn out climate control buttons and so I purchased the switches from climarepair.com - http://climarepair.com/porsche-repla...ir-revolution/. I ended up using a 10% off coupon and so my transaction was for two switches shipped to southern California for $134.99.

Order total, notice that this was placed on 1/9/2019

I then spent the next three weeks emailing back and forth with them trying to figure out why my switches had no shipped. I purchased my switch on January 9th and they did not actually ship the switch until February 4th (shipping was "registered" on the 1st)...

Correspondence with the climarepair email, "John" was the one who answered.

Well I've been waiting for this package for longer than a month so I took it upon myself to watch the tracking updates on a daily basis. At the same time I had to open a dispute with PayPal because the transaction was more than a month old and I wanted to make sure I had buyer's protection in case anything went wrong... note this was a VERY SMART MOVE. ClimaRepair only really got serious with my inquiries when I furthered the dispute through PayPal. After complaining about a lack of tracking they finally sent me a tracking number and attached it to our PayPal dispute.

Image from the Spanish post office tracking system.

This morning I looked at the updated and tracking and noted that my shipment was finally out for delivery... except it's out for delivery in Plano, TX and no in southern California where it's supposed to arrive. So I called up PayPal, they viewed the tracking information and saw that the shipment was out for delivery in the wrong state and promptly refunded me my money.

The same package can be viewed via USPS tracker once the package makes its way stateside.

I was very fortunate here that I used PayPal and that I opened a dispute/escalated it in order to keep it open. The only reason I knew to do this was because I have been screwed before...

TLDR - Do NOT order from ClimaRepair, they are a scam!

Resolved the dispute this morning (1 month 1 week after purchase) and finally got my money back from these scammers.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Iceter
User

What was the name on the order? Did he ship your order to the wrong place or did he give you someone else’s tracking information in an attempt to delay you even further?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:09 PM
ericmwalsh
User

Originally Posted by Iceter View Post
What was the name on the order? Did he ship your order to the wrong place or did he give you someone elseĺs tracking information in an attempt to delay you even further?
I'm unable to see the name of the Plano, TX recipient but that may have been exactly what he was trying to do!

Regardless it was pretty stupid for him to do that because he had to attach the tracking information (and my target shipping address) to the PayPal dispute... I called PayPal and the agent viewed the tracking information and was easily able to verify that it wasn't going to my shipping address.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:04 PM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

In a situation like this, even though it is frustrating as hell, it is always best to get in touch with someone at company who can get you a credit of say 50% for your frustration. SH-t happens.
If you were smart you would have worked it out with them instead of mocking them publicly for a mistake that can happen with any vendor.....Might not be too late now but worth a shot.
They make a good product and have had issues with their product in the past but have stepped up to the plate and offered replacement switches for those people who had lemons.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh man...sorry to hear that but welcome to the 997 club. Its become a right of passage for all new 997 owners to have some horror story about this douche lord. Your email exchanges are the same absurd responses I got from him 2yrs ago trying to first get my order (6 weeks), then get a refund (another 8 weeks). I had to send something like 30-40 emails over that period and it looks like he is still using the same tactics and excuses to delay and obfuscate.

At first I cut him some slack. His excuses were so juvenile I assumed he was a 16yr old kid trying to make a buck with a 3D printer in his garage. Its obvious now that he is both incompetent and unscrupulous, which is why he hides his identity (aka John Cobra) and location (he claimed for a long time he was in the US but he got busted by other members when his address and photos showed him somewhere in Spain).

I wouldnt go so far as to call him a scam artist, because that implies art. Based on how ****ty his product is and how stupid his email responses are, he doesn't have an artistic bone in his body. He just follows the Trumpian school of internet marketing: always get the last response in every post in the hope the next fool wont read the history. Im sure it helps his SEO too.

How did you hear about Climarepair? I ask so we can make sure it doesn't happen to anymore new owners. I guess you missed the gigantic RL thread on this clown:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-a-fix-41.html

I've reported him to the admins multiple times as a scam, but I dont think they care since he's a paid sponsor.

Last edited by TheBruce; 02-15-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Sorry, political comments are not allowed in the tech forums.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:28 PM
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla View Post
In a situation like this, even though it is frustrating as hell, it is always best to get in touch with someone at company who can get you a credit of say 50% for your frustration. SH-t happens.
If you were smart you would have worked it out with them instead of mocking them publicly for a mistake that can happen with any vendor.....Might not be too late now but worth a shot.
They make a good product and have had issues with their product in the past but have stepped up to the plate and offered replacement switches for those people who had lemons.
You aren't around here much are you:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-a-fix-16.html

ClimaRepair has been ripping people off for two years.
OP if you are still interested in replacing those AC switches, then it seems many have been really pleased with MACarbon as described in the thread I linked.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM
ericmwalsh
User

I understand your point of view but I got the feeling from my correspondences with him via email that this wasn't really a mistake and more of a ruse. I constantly tried to keep in contact with them and was very reasonable with my approach but nothing happened on their end until I submitted a dispute (and then later escalated it) via PayPal.

A customer shouldn't have to bend over backwards and kiss the vendors ***, especially when their customer service goes and pulls these kinds of shenanigans. These are plastic climate control switches and they cost $150, that's already silly enough as it is.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:33 PM
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member

groovzilla you must have not dealt with this clown directly. What @ericmwalsh described is the same crap every other customer dealt with. He needs to be banned from this forum.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:36 PM
ericmwalsh
User

Originally Posted by TheBruce View Post
Oh man...sorry to hear that but welcome to the 997 club. Its become a right of passage for all new 997 owners to have some horror story about this douche lord. Your email exchanges are the same absurd responses I got from him 2yrs ago trying to first get my order (6 weeks), then get a refund (another 8 weeks). I had to send something like 30-40 emails over that period and it looks like he is still using the same tactics and excuses to delay and obfuscate.

At first I cut him some slack. His excuses were so juvenile I assumed he was a 16yr old kid trying to make a buck with a 3D printer in his garage. Its obvious now that he is both incompetent and unscrupulous, which is why he hides his identity (aka John Cobra) and location (he claimed for a long time he was in the US but he got busted by other members when his address and photos showed him somewhere in Spain).

I wouldnt go so far as to call him a scam artist, because that implies art. Based on how ****ty his product is and how stupid his email responses are, he doesn't have an artistic bone in his body. He just follows the Donald Trump school of internet marketing: always get the last response in every post in the hope the next fool wont read the history. Im sure it helps his SEO too.

How did you hear about Climarepair? I ask so we can make sure it doesn't happen to anymore new owners. I guess you missed the gigantic RL thread on this clown:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-a-fix-41.html

I've reported him to the admins multiple times as a scam, but I dont think they care since he's a paid sponsor.
I did a google search for "997 replacement climate switches" and his crap comes up as the top few results. He also had quite a few posts on Rennlist and he was a sponsor I assumed that he was a reliable source. I ran into a few articles questioning the quality of the switches as well as the customer service but I figured he was a sponsor and it seemed from the volume of posts (though I did not read every single one) that his products were widely used. I usually go with PayPal when it comes to these kinds of transactions and I'm glad I did.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:41 PM
ericmwalsh
User

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post

OP if you are still interested in replacing those AC switches, then it seems many have been really pleased with MACarbon as described in the thread I linked.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at MACarbon! To be honest I think I'm just going to paint them black and be done with it...
Old 02-15-2019, 02:44 PM
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ericmwalsh View Post
I did a google search for "997 replacement climate switches" and his crap comes up as the top few results. He also had quite a few posts on Rennlist and he was a sponsor I assumed that he was a reliable source. I ran into a few articles questioning the quality of the switches as well as the customer service but I figured he was a sponsor and it seemed from the volume of posts (though I did not read every single one) that his products were widely used. I usually go with PayPal when it comes to these kinds of transactions and I'm glad I did.
Yup that proves his strategy: he's using Google SEO to get a top search hit and then ensures he's the last post in any thread discussing switches on RL. So the 600+ posts in that thread slamming him are actually helping his SEO rank.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post

I've been active in another "Clima" thread and owner/vendor has offered to take care of any problem orders. ...And his most recent example is supposed to be excellent quality?
Maybe there have been more recent issues but it was pretty clear Clima would be stand up vendor and take care of any issues.
I have no affiliation w/Clima----> As a matter of fact TEMP/FAN switches in both my 05 997S and my current 997C4S are perfect originals so haven't had to deal with this issue directly.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ericmwalsh View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at MACarbon! To be honest I think I'm just going to paint them black and be done with it...
Get the MACarbons. I put mine in a year ago and they look perfect. I was actually the one who asked John at MACarbon to start making them after my experience with Climarepair 2yrs ago. He is a class act...with a real business.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:49 PM
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been active in another "Clima" thread and owner/vendor has offered to take care of any problem orders.
Maybe there have been more recent issues but it was pretty clear Clima would be stand up vendor.
Groovezilla - what he says on the forum and what he does in practice with customers are two vastly different things. Again, I speak from first hand experience in my dealings with him, and then watching every other customer experience since then.

It pisses me off he is still doing the same ****, and the more we complain about him on RL, the better his Google SEO gets.

He's a scam plain and simple. He needs to be banned from this forum and there needs to be a sticky at the top of the 997 forum warning members about him.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:53 PM
groovzilla
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce View Post
Groovezilla - what he says on the forum and what he does in practice with customers are two vastly different things. Again, I speak from first hand experience in my dealings with him, and then watching every other customer experience since then.

He's a scam plain and simple. He needs to be banned from this forum.
Heres a post from 2/10/2019:
I will give credit to Climarepair for these new Revolution switches. I recieved mine on Wednesday.
The part is clearly injection molded, and not 3D printed, which is nice.
The finish is OEM equivalent or better. Actually perfect. It's a smoother finish than the Sport, PASM, PSM, PSE etc. switches on the lower console below the HVAC control, but not quite as smooth as the buttons on the factory PCM(Yes, there is a difference. I had never noticed this difference between the two finishes of the factory buttons/ switches before, but I'd never before inspected them with a magnifying glass and a high output light source either). The Temp font/ kerning and Fan icon are very clean, crisp, and well placed.
The fit is well engineered. No gaps or funny fitment issues. They snapped into place and look factory or better.
They are slicker to the touch than original, but I was expecting that as it's not a rubberized finish.
I can't comment on durability because I just installed them.
So, as it stands, I'm satisfied.

***If this isn't the case and "Clima" is an A-hole I apologize - From the recent positive posts I figured Clima turned their game around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: