Sponsored by:

Lets talk exhaust headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:43 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Lets talk exhaust headers

So as some of you know my car is getting built into 4.0 (2009 C4S) at Flat6 Innovations by Jake Raby and i will be in need of new headers. My current ones are bent and to get full power potential, i will need better flowing ones. My state doesnt smog so im leaning towards catless setup as those are less expensive and my car has valved iPE mufflers so im able to control volume somewhat. I also have sharkwerks bypass.

Are there any advantages going with hiflow cats besides sound and emission testing? Do these cars need backpressure or less restrictive is better?

Short tube vs Long tube? From my reserach these cars have such short headers that it doesnt really matter which ones you go with people say. Do you guys agree with this?

Heres the list of headers i found at different price points. Considering im aready spending an arm and a leg on a rebuild, hoping to spend the least amount possible but dont want to jeopardize the quality/performance as well.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Racing Dynamics currently on sale for $800
Name:  8LFHoX0h.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  46.8 KB

Cargraphics Longtube $3000

Fabspeed $2000
Name:  lsQ44yxh.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  66.5 KB

Schnell $1050
Name:  hE6dbeSh.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  30.0 KB

NHP $1400

Agency Power $1750
Name:  ZXb0JKbh.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  54.5 KB

Armytrix $1600
Name:  ZhpcgeHh.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  22.0 KB

IPE $1600
Name:  CGFJ5coh.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  27.1 KB
Old 02-15-2019, 12:08 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

It was suggested that we use catless on our 987.2. Outside of the extra sound and possible emission fail, I don't see a reason why not to. We are going to run Soul Performance on the 987.2. They do add some depth to the soundtrack!

Cargraphics are probably known to be the best build quality. I don't know about the others, but headers seem to be a pretty straightforward item to build. You can always pull them off for an emissions test if you have to (we don't have to pass DEQ here).

I am interested as well! Tons of people run them on 981 and 987 platforms, but they are barely mentioned here. I wonder if the power gains are lower vs the 3.4 and 3.8L? Most everyone says they are worth an easy 15-20hp gain.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cars dont need backpressure..the less the better..what you need to maintain is exhaust velocity..

short runner headers are for low range power

the longer the tubes the higher it shifts your power in the rpm range..

the best of both would be stepped headers..the tubes get bigger in steps.. like billy boat makes for 997.1
Old 02-15-2019, 12:10 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I've ran a catless exhaust in the past and something that you should definitely be considered is the fuel fumes that can get pretty bad. Long tube is obviously the way to go if cost isn't a concern. Also, if you purchase a set of headers with quality HJS cats that Fabspeed and a few others use they will flow 95% of what a straight pipe would without the irritating fuel smell.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:23 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Very good inputs everyone, but the smell part had totally slipped my mind. Now i remember driving in some cars that were catless and how awful the smell can get. Time to start looking at hi flow cat options as well.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:34 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

These have been listed for a while... might be worth the gamble for the price. I considered them myself but got a good deal on a set of used Fabspeed catted headers in the classifieds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/custom-pors...53.m1438.l2649
Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Yeah i was just looking at them. From a limited research looks like the company that was making them went under for shady practices. Ill try to reach out to the seller and see whats the story why he is selling them . Thanks!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 PM
edomund
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would 2nd the fuel smell issue. I ran catless on one of my RX7s and went back to a high flow cat even though the power increase is substantial on boosted cars. It gets so bad you won't drive with the windows down. I think the power differential in a NA car is negligible. Also you dont want a style that looks like the Schnell, the exhaust gasses will be crashing into each other and create turbulence. Ideally you want the gasses pointed in the same direction before they merge. My S2000 had a similar turbo manifold style to the Schnell and when we change the manifold it made a big difference.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:09 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The smell would be one issue.

The other, as I discovered, is that on a 9A1 with Sharkwerks bypass and Fisters, catless headers are just too loud. ...and not particularly good sounding. I wanted loud; this was bad.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

If you're thinking Headers with Sport Cats, I'd consider buying from Carnewal in Belgium. Gert is a great guy, that I have bought a lot of 993 items from over the years. I'm now in a 997.2, but he is always where I start when I need things.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...nge-Sport-Cats
Old 02-15-2019, 02:36 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a 997.1S w/ the complete Cargraphic exhaust. I added the new Cargraphic long tube headers last to my system. I feel that it complimented the 200 cell X-pipe with the sounds. Great quality, very happy w/ my decision. I bought it from BGB Motorsports in FL. Ask for Wray. Friendly advice ask if gaskets come with it Incase you have to buy them separately.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a set of Chinese made headers to replace the cats on my 2009 C2S for $488.00 with free shipping on Ebay. They arrived after a few weeks and the quality of the construction seemed identical to the other more expensive headers. They were polished stainless steel with the brazed appearing joints. I installed the right side header with no problem. I have Shark Works crossover pipes and Fister mufflers. When I tried to install the driver's side header, oops! It wouldn't connect to the crossover pipe. I was not greatly surprised that there was a fitting problem considering the price of the headers. I had to make two cuts near the end of the header near the flange and re-weld the joints for a perfect fit. I hooked up the first O2 sensors and left the other two tied off in the fresh air. Of course these changes tripped my CEL. I can shut it off but it returns after driving for awhile. Unless you are able to modify a set of these Chinese headers you should probably avoid them. I have no idea what is meant by exhaust smell using cat bypass headers. There is certainly no odor in the cabin at any time and while driving, the spent gases are far behind the car. The exhaust noise levels in the car at speed with windows up is unremarkable. When I pass a car on two lane curvy back roads, yes, they can hear me coming. The exhaust sound level is no louder than with the identical set up on my 993, just very different. In my opinion, if you are paying more than $800.00 for a set of these headers, you are getting massively gouged. Bronz, by the way, your thread on bore scoring per 997.2 has triggered one of the best and most technically gratifying discussions that I have ever read on any forum.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

This is what I am running on my 09 C2S. It sounds nice at lower speeds, a little loud. But as the rpms pick up, it makes some serious noise. Add some horses, too. https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997...mance-package/
Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

You might also want to consider fvd. They have a few options catless as well as with cats.
in my opinion I’d just go with one brand for everything in the exhaust as my experience from past cars show when you mix and match various exhaust brands they don’t sound good (they are loud but not a good loud)
Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

What you want are equal length headers so the exhaust pulses line up in the segments as they are generated and a triangular shaped merged collector, which is the most efficient method. The goal is to get the exhaust pulses out as efficiently as possible. My 928 is catless and it smellls like it. 200 cell high-quality, high-flow cats, like those from HJS that many of the high end vendors use increase flow, won't make the car stink, and don't throw any codes. I have Fabspeed's on my 997.1.

From your photos, I like the Racing Dynamics, Cargraphics (have a cargraphic muffler on my Cayenne Turbo - great quality), NHP (I have NHP Tips on my Cayenne Turbo - surprisingly good quality for the price), and the Armytrix. I don't know what Soul Performance's offerings are for the .2, but they'd be worth a look.

Quick Reply: Lets talk exhaust headers