Sponsored by:

Check engine light, visit workshop

Old 02-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Are coils a big job for a do it yourselfer?
No - but it is fiddly and will take a 3-4 hours if you are a rookie... and you need tools. Just seach Rennlist for spark plug change..... and search with your model.. either 997.1 or 997.2 You remove the coils when you change the plugs.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,124 Likes on 3,900 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's what I'm thinking too. Just wondering if they can pull the codes they need if the light is not on when I get there. Can they go by history on the codes?
Yes, I believe if the CEL came on it will store the code that triggered it.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,136 Likes on 722 Posts

It will store the code, but not permanently. After a certain number of miles and trips the code erases so you can pass emissions.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, I believe if the CEL came on it will store the code that triggered it.
Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
It will store the code, but not permanently. After a certain number of miles and trips the code erases so you can pass emissions.
Thx. Good info. The light hasn't come back on. Everything has been normal since that brief episode the other day so I don't know what the hell is going on. Talked to my service advisor at Suncoast today who told me he's booked all week next week. Scheduled for Monday the 25th. now. He said that as long as the CEL light isn't flashing it's ok to drive the car. Maybe it is but if it comes on again and stays on, I'm parking it and flatbedding it to Suncoast next Monday.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,124 Likes on 3,900 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Thx. Good info. The light hasn't come back on. Everything has been normal since that brief episode the other day so I don't know what the hell is going on. Talked to my service advisor at Suncoast today who told me he's booked all week next week. Scheduled for Monday the 25th. now. He said that as long as the CEL light isn't flashing it's ok to drive the car. Maybe it is but if it comes on again and stays on, I'm parking it and flatbedding it to Suncoast next Monday.
Was it by chance wet out the day you had the stumble develop? Driving in wet conditions and getting misfires is usually first sign of a bad coil pack as the moisture gets in through the cracked insulator on the back.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:45 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

The coil packs on the .2 are supposedly better than the .1. However that doesn’t mean that they won’t go bad. I’m not sure what the recommended replacement interval is on the .1 and whether it is a time and or mileage interval. I would think a lot of my 09 and 10’s would have had issues by now and yours is an 11, but perhaps you have lots of miles? My SA is suggesting I replace mine on a preventive maintenance as they are seeing them go. ( not sure if he is going from real-time dealership evidence or Porsche dealer revenue generation policies as my my11 has about 50k on it)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light, visit workshop