Sponsored by:

Check engine light, visit workshop

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts
Default Check engine light, visit workshop

Light came on as I was sitting in a bank drive through and noticed that the engine started running a litte rough. Not bad but noticeable. Drove the short distance home, shut the car down, cranked it back up and everything was back to normal. Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Misfires due to a plug or coil would be my first guess, which leave error codes readable by iCarsoft, Durametric, etc.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

You hit 60,000 miles right - there's your problem LOL

You'll need to pull the codes to see what they say. If multiple misfires on one bank could be the hall sensor (camshaft position sensor) starting to go bad. If all on one cylinder, then plug or coilpack,
Old 02-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

When a coil went on my Boxster, the engine shook, car shook, ran rough. I shut it down, started up and all was fine. It was a bad coil. But.... gotta read the codes.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-14-2019, 02:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Misfires due to a plug or coil would be my first guess, which leave error codes readable by iCarsoft, Durametric, etc.
I had thoughts in that direction too. Light came on again today along with the same slightly rough running engine. Shut it down, started it up and back to normal just like yesterday. Trying to get an appointment with the dealer to sort this out.

Originally Posted by Petza914
You hit 60,000 miles right - there's your problem LOL
Told you...

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
When a coil went on my Boxster, the engine shook, car shook, ran rough. I shut it down, started up and all was fine. It was a bad coil. But.... gotta read the codes.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Seems to be leaning that way. Wonder if a bad coil is covered by Fidelity Platinum or considered a wear and tear item like a spark plug. With a $250 deductible, basically a non issue though. Never had to replace a coil on any of my three 997's but I don't think they're expensive items.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:41 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I had thoughts in that direction too. Light came on again today along with the same slightly rough running engine. Shut it down, started it up and back to normal just like yesterday. Trying to get an appointment with the dealer to sort this out.

Told you...

Seems to be leaning that way. Wonder if a bad coil is covered by Fidelity Platinum or considered a wear and tear item like a spark plug. With a $250 deductible, basically a non issue though. Never had to replace a coil on any of my three 997's but I don't think they're expensive items.
Not expensive - maybe $300 for a complete set of 6 - labor will be much more.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...91G3COILS.html
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Wonder if a bad coil is covered by Fidelity Platinum or considered a wear and tear item like a spark plug. With a $250 deductible, basically a non issue though. Never had to replace a coil on any of my three 997's but I don't think they're expensive items.
Should be, coils are not specifically listed on the exclusions list.

Each time I read the policy exclusions, I seem to pick up on something new.. "exhaust system & cats" are not covered..
Old 02-14-2019, 11:30 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Dealer will charge you 250 min just to diagnose.

Go to any autoparts store and pull codes.

Coils and sparky ease to R&R. Fuel injectors can have this symptom also.

Post codes when you learn them.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you end up needing to replace 1 coil, I'd change them all since the others probably aren't far behind and because you've never changed them.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
+1
Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

are coils recommended to be replaced at 80k, before...or just when they go bad? my plugs were changed at 40 but still on original coils.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Not expensive - maybe $300 for a complete set of 6 - labor will be much more.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...91G3COILS.html
No doubt

Originally Posted by saabin
Should be, coils are not specifically listed on the exclusions list.

Each time I read the policy exclusions, I seem to pick up on something new.
. "exhaust system & cats" are not covered..
I agree and that's why I asked. Always something new or some random exception that's difficult to find reading through the policy. The list of exclusions should be the end station imo, not arbitrary language buried deep in portions of the policy that many probably never read.

Originally Posted by 996AE
Dealer will charge you 250 min just to diagnose.

Go to any autoparts store and pull codes.

Coils and sparky ease to R&R. Fuel injectors can have this symptom also.

Post codes when you learn them.
Way to do it but too busy right now. Will just have to drop it off at the dealer, get a loner and cover whatever Fidelity refuses. Due for an oil change anyway.

If you end up needing to replace 1 coil, I'd change them all since the others probably aren't far behind and because you've never changed them.
Good advice and that's the plan. Drove the car about 30 miles today around the city making multiple stops here and there. No problems. Light never came on again but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Is any damage done driving the car to the dealer with the CEL on and the slightly rough running engine?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good advice and that's the plan. Drove the car about 30 miles today around the city making multiple stops here and there. No problems. Light never came on again but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Is any damage done driving the car to the dealer with the CEL on and the slightly rough running engine?
If you're logging misfires, that means there's fuel being put into the cylinder that's not being ignited, so yea, not the best situation. As we all know fuel isn't a very good lubricant and if you're injecting it into the cylinder without it being ignited, it's mixing with the oil. I would say if it's running like it is now - smooth without any codes, that's the time to take it in rather than to try and limp it there with the CEL on and one cylinder not firing.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:22 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

If you're logging misfires, that means there's fuel being put into the cylinder that's not being ignited, so yea, not the best situation. As we all know fuel isn't a very good lubricant and if you're injecting it into the cylinder without it being ignited, it's mixing with the oil. I would say if it's running like it is now - smooth without any codes, that's the time to take it in rather than to try and limp it there with the CEL on and one cylinder not firing.
That's what I'm thinking too. Just wondering if they can pull the codes they need if the light is not on when I get there. Can they go by history on the codes?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:19 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Are coils a big job for a do it yourselfer?

Quick Reply: Check engine light, visit workshop