Sponsored by:

Gen 2 9A1 Bore scoring - smoking Gun Article

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bazhart
Anyway, it is only my advice to warm engines up thoroughly before thrashing them - I actually will get more business if you ignore that advice - good luck everyone.

Baz

Good info and advice, thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

See guys. I always get made out to be the fear monger... What creates the downhill spiral for engines, and reputations are articles like this. Not saying it's a bad article, but when these engines end up with a bad reputation, you can remember this article, and the fact that I did my part not to create the downhill spiral.
I do find the timing of this, and some of the points made in the article (not quoted by Baz) to be very ironic in this article in the way they align with what I have been saying for several years.

I have a decade vested in 9a1 development as of today. It will take several more years before we have certain answers for issues regarding these engines. We have only seen a big jump in demand for 9a1 work in the last 3 of those years, with the biggest jump in the last 12 months.

Knowing this would happen is why we started development when the engines were new. We may not have all the answers about why things happen in factory engines, but we do know how to solve them, and create an engine that can be resurrected to live again with certainty, not depending on the factory to do so.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:14 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Okay, so if it's an injector issue (ethanol fuel, really)...what's the preventative maintenance? New injectors every...50,000 miles? How big of a job is that, time/skill/$$$?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
Okay, so if it's an injector issue (ethanol fuel, really)...what's the preventative maintenance? New injectors every...50,000 miles? How big of a job is that, time/skill/$$$?
People are quick to
point all the blame at ethanol. I was one of them, until l learned more about the additive packages in fuels.
The fuel changes every few months, and over the last 5 years it has changed a ton. Carbureted engine’s here want main jets 2 sizes larger than 5 years ago for the same AFR. I see different colors on the backside of exhaust valves and inside ports.. You name it. Last year we happened upon a fuel that increased oil consumption in the Driven Oil 986 Boxster by 30% over any other fuel that was ran.

Its all a mystery.

The injectors don’t age with miles as much as time in service. The wise directive can be published once we have a clear indication of how much time in service an injector needs before it is suspect. Today very few things we recommend for service occur in miles, its usually time. The injector is in service even if the engine isn’t running.
The following users liked this post:
Dmpaa (06-09-2020)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:15 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

People are quick to
point all the blame at ethanol. I was one of them, until l learned more about the additive packages in fuels.
The fuel changes every few months, and over the last 5 years it has changed a ton. Carbureted engine’s here want main jets 2 sizes larger than 5 years ago for the same AFR. I see different colors on the backside of exhaust valves and inside ports.. You name it. Last year we happened upon a fuel that increased oil consumption in the Driven Oil 986 Boxster by 30% over any other fuel that was ran.

Its all a mystery.

The injectors don’t age with miles as much as time in service. The wise directive can be published once we have a clear indication of how much time in service an injector needs before it is suspect. Today very few things we recommend for service occur in miles, its usually time. The injector is in service even if the engine isn’t running.
Jake, I'm loving the videos, especially the one you posted today. It's rocks! (no pun intended!) Ya'll should subscribe to his channel. I needed a good laugh today.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Rennvision...nowledgeGruppe
The following users liked this post:
dadster (04-06-2023)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I find this thread amusing. The incidence rate of any engine issues with 997.2s is incredibly low. Marketing is one thing but falling for it is another.

In extreme cold climates where the car is going through starts in extreme cold, I could see the potential issue building over time. Even then, there are a lot of 997.2s being driven in very cold climates and seem to be okay.

I don't drive my car in the winter at all (because of road salt and road clearing issues) but even if I did, I wouldn't lose sleep over any of this.

Every car type/brand out there has some failure rate. It just has to be within an acceptable level to not bother worrying about. The 997.2 engine is clearly in that category given the number of 100K+ mileage cars out there on the road and the extremely limited frequency of issues that pop up on very vocal forums.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:58 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I have a decade vested in 9a1 development as of today. It will take several more years before we have certain answers for issues regarding these engines. We have only seen a big jump in demand for 9a1 work in the last 3 of those years, with the biggest jump in the last 12 months.
I am interested in "the biggest jump in the last 12 months." especially major cases similar to Bronz. Pictures/video worth thousand words if you can post some for us to learn. The video you posted really prove your point. What is your advice to minimize the problem given what you know now. I like Baz approach, he presents his case and then give us his best advice given what he knows so we can all decide what to do with our car. Thanks again for taking your time to inform us.

For the rest of us, I would think these cases are falling into an acceptable failure rate of high performance sport car that I would not loose sleep over it. Take these expert advice, whether it's %100 correct or not, to minimize chances it would happen to our beloved car. All the Best. Arrgg, can't wait until snow melt so I can take the Porsche out!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:05 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Every car type/brand out there has some failure rate. It just has to be within an acceptable level to not bother worrying about. The 997.2 engine is clearly in that category given the number of 100K+ mileage cars out there on the road and the extremely limited frequency of issues that pop up on very vocal forums.
Yep, you nail it. Happen even with my trusted Corolla back when I was still in university.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

No doubt today's fuels are nasty. I have long been using Stabil 360 Protection (a bit less than 4oz/tank at full fill up).
Note: not to be confused with regular StaBil.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:50 PM
rmstar
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
No doubt today's fuels are nasty. I have long been using Stabil 360 Protection (a bit less than 4oz/tank at full fill up).
Yep. Depend on where you buy your gas from. My BOAT (Bring On Another Thousand) engine is newer. It should immune to ethanol added regular fuel. My boat mechanic told me to use Shell V-Power Gold fuel as it has no ethanol added and Nitrogen infused that help keep engine clean. It's not that I need higher octane but I need quality gas with no ethanol added for my boat engine and my Porsche to last.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by rmstar
Yep. Depend on where you buy your gas from. My BOAT (Bring On Another Thousand) engine is newer. It should immune to ethanol added regular fuel. My boat mechanic told me to use Shell V-Power Gold fuel as it has no ethanol added and Nitrogen infused that help keep engine clean. It's not that I need higher octane but I need quality gas with no ethanol added for my boat engine and my Porsche to last.
Ethanol and other nasty stuff in today's gas additive packages. Very difficult to find pure gas in the US.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Yup, me too. I get the small dosage bottles and add half a bottle with each tank in my 997s and Cayenne.

The 914 with dual carbs gets Driven Carb Defender and the 928 gets 1/3 bottle of SeaFoam with each tank as it's also a lubricant for the mechanical fuel distributor that's part of it's K-Jet system.

Quick Reply: Gen 2 9A1 Bore scoring - smoking Gun Article