997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finance Rates

Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Got 4.05% for 63 mos. at my CU (LGE). They'd only finance 80% of the value of a 2012 though. No probs.

Had a LightStream loan prior to that. Very easy but higher rate for the 84 mo. term I got originally. Hence the refi with LGE.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:36 AM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a CU but we got 3.94% for 72mo from Bank of America last month when we purchased our car.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 AM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Got 4.05% for 63 mos. at my CU (LGE). They'd only finance 80% of the value of a 2012 though. No probs.

Had a LightStream loan prior to that. Very easy but higher rate for the 84 mo. term I got originally. Hence the refi with LGE.
Rates have definitely increased. Pulled this from LGE Website:2012 model year (purchases and refinances)4up to 48 Mo.$1,0004.70%Receive a notification when this rate changes63 Mo.$10,000 5.00%

Appears as though Lightstream is the best deal going right now.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6

Same as doclouie said. You want you cash working for you. Not against you. W

ex year one I invest the 55,000, I make 10% - I get $5500, less every year after that because you won’t have the whole $55000
if I finance the entire amount I only pay about $6500 in interest over 5 years -

so so at the end of 5 years I’m still way ahead

its actually more complicated than that because you have to pay taxes on the gains

and it can be dangerous because you can end up upside down if you have to sell the car in the short term so I would not do it if I could not pay off the loan or I was only planning on keeping the car short term
I love it, everyone always makes 10% on their money every year like clockwork right? If so, hedge fund managers must be calling daily offering you jobs.

I personally can't stand debt of any kind. Maybe it will prevent me from getting wildly rich, but I don't care. I sleep better knowing that I don't have payments to worry about.

I tried the loan thing once, couldn't handle it, paid it after a year.

there is absolutely Zero wrong with paying cash as piece of mind is priceless.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I love it, everyone always makes 10% on their money every year like clockwork right? If so, hedge fund managers must be calling daily offering you jobs.

I personally can't stand debt of any kind. Maybe it will prevent me from getting wildly rich, but I don't care. I sleep better knowing that I don't have payments to worry about.

This thread has taken an interesting turn. And I agree. Nothing wrong with paying cash. However, I don’t have $60,000 laying around in a savings account or under my mattress. I wish I did. It’s all invested in something. So the money has to come from somewhere. Instead of taking money out of an investment paying more than the interest of the loan, it makes more sense to finance the car. If I was worried about being able to make the payment or retired thinking short term, I probably would pay cash. But still being in my 40’s that is not where I’m at. I’m think 20 years down the road.

Sorry, I used the 10% to keep the calculation simple. Also from articles like this (though I think adjusted for inflation average growth is 7%).

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/inve...market-return/

My loan was 4%. Going back since I have started putting away for retirement I have had on average more than 4%. Last year my lowest account was 6.96%. I just use the mutual funds the companies I work for pick out. Nothing special.

Over the 5 years of finance vs cash I’ll probably be ahead $4-5,000. And that few thousand dollars invested over 20 years will make even more. That’s a couple months less I have to work until retirement.

If your investments over time return less than 4% I would find a new guy or find less risky investments. Again, this is thinking long term. Will the market crash again? Yes. Will it go back up? Well, it always has so I assume it will again. Since I’m not retiring for a while I don’t worry about it.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6

This thread has taken an interesting turn. And I agree. Nothing wrong with paying cash. However, I don’t have $60,000 laying around in a savings account or under my mattress. I wish I did. It’s all invested in something. So the money has to come from somewhere. Instead of taking money out of an investment paying more than the interest of the loan, it makes more sense to finance the car. If I was worried about being able to make the payment or retired thinking short term, I probably would pay cash. But still being in my 40’s that is not where I’m at. I’m think 20 years down the road.

Sorry, I used the 10% to keep the calculation simple. Also from articles like this (though I think adjusted for inflation average growth is 7%).

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/inve...market-return/

My loan was 4%. Going back since I have started putting away for retirement I have had on average more than 4%. Last year my lowest account was 6.96%. I just use the mutual funds the companies I work for pick out. Nothing special.

Over the 5 years of finance vs cash I’ll probably be ahead $4-5,000. And that few thousand dollars invested over 20 years will make even more. That’s a couple months less I have to work until retirement.

If your investments over time return less than 4% I would find a new guy or find less risky investments. Again, this is thinking long term. Will the market crash again? Yes. Will it go back up? Well, it always has so I assume it will again. Since I’m not retiring for a while I don’t worry about it.
yes, of course, the long-term averages is roughly 7% for equities, but for any given 5 year period which may represent a typical auto loan term, performance is much more variable or potentially negative. it all depends on your risk aversion.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

That's funny, I've done the same thing and I'm about to do it again actually. We'll see how long I last this time.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Some of us have no choice but to finance our dream cars.
I'd MUCH rather pay cash, but it'll be paid for over time, and then it'll be mine.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:59 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

yes, of course, the long-term averages is roughly 7% for equities, but for any given 5 year period which may represent a typical auto loan term, performance is much more variable or potentially negative. it all depends on your risk aversion.
Equity values are also likely to move somewhat in tandem with performance car values. In a bear market, a lot of potential 911 buyers are not in the market. Look at 2009! The strong 997.2 values we see right now would likely drop 20% if we were to enter into a recession. The weekend car and vacation house are the second and third items to go (the mistress leaves on her own once she realizes you are broke).
Old 02-12-2019, 05:23 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm like you. I save my money and pay cash for everything, even my house. I wish I had the ***** to use credit and invest my money, but I have been burned too many times.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:30 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I'm like you. I save my money and pay cash for everything, even my house. I wish I had the ***** to use credit and invest my money, but I have been burned too many times.

Thank you both for providing value to this thread.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
Sorry. I was mostly curious. I'll go away now. But, I did get some valuable insight.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryangambrill

LOL Well played!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Some of us have no choice but to finance our dream cars.
I'd MUCH rather pay cash, but it'll be paid for over time, and then it'll be mine.
But half the point of having a fancy dream car is telling everyone how you paid cash and didn't think twice about it.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl
But half the point of having a fancy dream car is telling everyone how you paid cash and didn't think twice about it.
I would love to be in the position to decide to brag about that, but unfortunately I'm not. Instead, I get to brag about transferring $1283.00 per month to my CU loan! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finance Rates