Finance Rates - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finance Rates

 
Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM
  #16  
himself
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
himself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,619
Default

Originally Posted by ryangambrill View Post
Awaiting PPI. Starting to research finance rates/terms.

Good Credit here @ 825+

Short List of places I plan on checking out:
- PenFed.org
- Lightstream
- nihfcu.org
- ffcommunity.com
I think rates are hovering around 3-4% now for great credit. Might get better, but I haven't seen anything in the 1's. I just did some research and ended up with USAA.

-td
himself is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 AM
  #17  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,031
Default

3.99
0 down
60 months
Credit score above 800
Huntington
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 AM
  #18  
cwheeler
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 232
Default

At my local credit union I got a little over 3% with 50% cash down and a credit score of 840 and 60 month term.

They would have given me the same rate with 0 down.

Cw
cwheeler is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM
  #19  
Balr14
User
 
Balr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI.
Posts: 453
Default

I am getting the impression most of you don't consider paying cash a good idea?
Balr14 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 PM
  #20  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,031
Default

Cash? For a depreciating asset?
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM
  #21  
doclouie
User
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 513
Default

Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I am getting the impression most of you don't consider paying cash a good idea?
It is all about managing my money. Like most people I could have paid cash for my 997.2, even when it was brand new, but with the current investments I have that money tied to it makes zero sense. A $50k car at 3.5% interest is a great idea currently, because that same $50k I could have taken out of those investments to pay for the car returned me 18% last year and over 30% the year before. Now if my cash was not giving me that high rate of return I would gladly pay cash.

If your loan rate is 4% and your investment of that same money is 4% then it does not matter which way you go. If you make 10% on that money though you keep it where it is at and back the other 6% while paying your 4% interest. Money in the past few years has been cheap. I am afraid those days are over though at least until the economy takes another hit.
doclouie is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:20 PM
  #22  
V999
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 284
Default

Picked up a p-car on Saturday. My dealership's finance guy thought he could get me 3.5%. But my personal cut-off for cash vs. finance was 2.9%. If he could've done that, I would've financed at least some portion of it.
V999 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM
  #23  
V999
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 284
Default

Originally Posted by dgjks6 View Post
Cash? For a depreciating asset?
I'm no kind of finance or tax expert, so perhaps this is an opportunity for me to learn something. Why does it matter that the car is a depreciating asset?
V999 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:37 PM
  #24  
sober_owl
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 332
Default

has anyone refinaced with lightstream? to get a lower rate with them vs the other guy? how does that work?
sober_owl is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM
  #25  
Balr14
User
 
Balr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI.
Posts: 453
Default

Originally Posted by doclouie View Post


It is all about managing my money. Like most people I could have paid cash for my 997.2, even when it was brand new, but with the current investments I have that money tied to it makes zero sense. A $50k car at 3.5% interest is a great idea currently, because that same $50k I could have taken out of those investments to pay for the car returned me 18% last year and over 30% the year before. Now if my cash was not giving me that high rate of return I would gladly pay cash.

If your loan rate is 4% and your investment of that same money is 4% then it does not matter which way you go. If you make 10% on that money though you keep it where it is at and back the other 6% while paying your 4% interest. Money in the past few years has been cheap. I am afraid those days are over though at least until the economy takes another hit.
What you say makes a lot of sense, but I lack your confidence in investments, or have the wrong ones. I still haven't recovered from the losses I took in 2008 - 2009.
Balr14 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM
  #26  
rjaudi
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 56
Default

Look at all the credit unions available to you in your local area. I know mine is an anomaly, but I get 1.99% (I just checked it and this is current) for 7 years on any age car.
rjaudi is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:09 PM
  #27  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,031
Default

Originally Posted by V999 View Post
I'm no kind of finance or tax expert, so perhaps this is an opportunity for me to learn something. Why does it matter that the car is a depreciating asset?
Same as doclouie said. You want you cash working for you. Not against you. W

ex year one I invest the 55,000, I make 10% - I get $5500, less every year after that because you won’t have the whole $55000
if I finance the entire amount I only pay about $6500 in interest over 5 years -

so so at the end of 5 years I’m still way ahead

its actually more complicated than that because you have to pay taxes on the gains

and it can be dangerous because you can end up upside down if you have to sell the car in the short term so I would not do it if I could not pay off the loan or I was only planning on keeping the car short term
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM
  #28  
cwheeler
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by Balr14
I am getting the impression most of you don't consider paying cash a good idea?
I def think it's the best idea, but I'm doing some large house reno and need cash for that as well. And I'm OCD when it comes to keeping a certain amount of cash in the bank.

Cw
cwheeler is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 PM
  #29  
doclouie
User
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 513
Default

Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
What you say makes a lot of sense, but I lack your confidence in investments, or have the wrong ones. I still haven't recovered from the losses I took in 2008 - 2009.
2008-2009 was a hard year for sure, but the last 3-4 years have been wonderful. I have been blessed far more than I should have been and I am only in my 40’s. I am a real buy and hold guy who is more risk adverse than most, but I take my investments seriously. That being said I only look at them a few times a year. Remember when it comes to investments the only thing you can really control is how much you will pay in fees and never invest what you cannot lose. I love index funds of all sorts.
doclouie is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 AM
  #30  
workhurts
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 470
Default

Doc. What paid 18% last year? The market was mostly flat. Real estate cap rates over 10% aren't easy to get and with higher returns risk goes up significantly so am curious what kind of asset did 18% in 2018.
workhurts is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: