Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM Failure in the rain this morning

Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default PSM Failure in the rain this morning

One morning it was raining a bit. I was traveling and the rain started coming down a bit harder. The road was very wet. My tires on the rear are not bald but I need to replace them (Bridgestone Potenzas 305s in rear).

So I was going about 55mph on the freeway and then the PSM Failure like came on and I immediately lost control of the car and started to swerve and the steering wheel would not respond. I began to drift and thank god there was not a lot of traffic on the road. I drifted across the road and into the carpool lane. I hit the guard rail (softly as I was fortunately not going to fas). I was turned around with my rear facing the wrong way in the car pool lane. I narrowly avoided a car and was able to get back in the slow lane and get to an exit. The front end was damaged and I was able to make it home. Againg thank GOD.

So 2 year ago

I had Bilsteins B16s put on the car all around. Not had a PSM light or failure in that time. Was very scary. I didn't think that the PSM failure would cause no response from the steering. No the road was slippery. When I got home I checked the damage to the front, turned the car off and back on and no PSM failure light. Anyone experience this ? Also should I go back to the shop and have them check my suspension or is that even a factor? I have autocrossed the car with no problem a couple years ago.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

When you say you lost control of the car, please be specific. For example, did the steering wheel beome heavy, or the car didn't respond to steering input, or the car drifted off the path you set, etc? How did the car drive at low speed on the way home? Was there vibration or noise that was new?

If you truly lost control of the car, I suspect that the PASM warning light was an after-affect or symptom of some larger mechanical failure and not the cause. It doesn't make sense that a system failure would lead to a loss of control.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm glad you're ok, BTW. The cosmetic damage looks fairly light.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Did this just happen or was this 2 years ago, I am confused?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:32 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Glad you're safe!
Old 02-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 331 Posts

Sounds like you hydroplaned with worn tires in hard rain. I'm guessing the PSM "failure" was telling you it could no longer control the car because you severely hydroplanned. The fact you had no permanent error message supports that theory. Bilstein B16s are after market coil overs so not sure how that is related. Have you replaced your tires? Having worn 305s in heavy rain is asking to hydroplane. Also was this recent or two years ago?
Old 02-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Classic hydroplaning... tires? Condition?

I don;t let mine wear down and I stick to major brands such as Michelin.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Sounds like you hydroplaned with worn tires in hard rain. I'm guessing the PSM "failure" was telling you it could no longer control the car because you severely hydroplanned. The fact you had no permanent error message supports that theory. Bilstein B16s are after market coil overs so not sure how that is related. Have you replaced your tires? Having worn 305s in heavy rain is asking to hydroplane. Also was this recent or two years ago?
Thanks, this happened this morning about 7am. When I got the car up to speed on the freeway, I began to slip and slide (hydroplane). I was actually traveling in a straight line. When I turned the steering wheel to get the car back online it wouldn't respond. I just simply drifted over to the left and into the wall. The car drove back home fine. No noise or crunching sounds. I am kinda scared to drive it till I get it looked at. So when the psm goes out does that also mean steering becomes uncontrollable? Never had this issue before.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Thanks, this happened this morning about 7am. When I got the car up to speed on the freeway, I began to slip and slide (hydroplane). I was actually traveling in a straight line. When I turned the steering wheel to get the car back online it wouldn't respond. I just simply drifted over to the left and into the wall. The car drove back home fine. No noise or crunching sounds. I am kinda scared to drive it till I get it looked at. So when the psm goes out does that also mean steering becomes uncontrollable? Never had this issue before.
If stability control fails there should not be affect on steering, it would be like driving a 20 year old car without the nannies even available. You lost steering when your worn tires no longer contacted the road while hydroplaning. Stability control cannot much help without tire contact, hence the light came on but no longer stayed on when you regained control. Drive on dry roads, get new tires asap, then go back to normal driving.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like typical hydroplane due to worn tires... I'd had similar happen to me except the boxster spun around a lot more rapidly till then gently gliding rear into rail. Not sure what you mean it wouldn't respond... steering wheel was locked in place or car wouldnt turn? If you hydroplane a 911 or cayman, you're pretty much SOL...steering could make it worse.

Need to make sure at least the rear tire are replaced well before wear bars. Also use tires good in wet (P Zero's suck). After it happens once, you learn to ensure you're not driving in rain on worn tires...Wide worn summer tires are the worst for these situations.

Advice... don't report it to insurance. They'll treat it like an accident and rates go up. Have the plastic replaced or just repainted if its not cracked.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

That was not a PSM failure. PSM was trying to save you. You have lost your traction due to water mixed with oily or slippery asphalt multiplied by old rubber. Consider this a lesson and thank technology. Glad your were shaken but not bitten at the end. You should join a local DE or autocross guys for Car Control Clinic.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Was in a similar situation years ago, different car not my Porsche. Scarred the you know what out of me. I was young and dumb at the time, thought I could get a few more months out of a pair of balding tires. The rain came down hard and I had difficulties controlling the car (big understatement). Never again, I make sure all my cars now have proper tread on them. New tires only seem expensive until you compare them to the cost of an accident.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:48 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

You were the driver when it happened. If it hydroplanned, wouldn't you have known it ?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
You were the driver when it happened. If it hydroplanned, wouldn't you have known it ?
Interesting point.... how old is ocmacman?

I believe the technology in these tires and electronic aids in cars are so darn sophisticated that many younger folks don't know what these basic driving issues are. As a teenager driving a 1970 Buick Skylark with no money... driving on bald bias ply tires was common (and stupid) for me (tires wore out quick back the... add in some bad ball joints...). I learned a trick with hydroplaning... 1) Do NOT apply brakes or turn the wheel 2), let the car drift and guide it to the right..... as soon as the car goes over the line, you will hit gravel and debris and this will give you traction. I think if you are inexperienced with hydroplaning, or snow... or ice... or whatever.... a person will hit the bakes and turn the wheel .. just a little is too far sometimes.... this results in no control. These aids are just aids, they can't change the laws of physics.... unfortunately, they mask what is really going on so folks don't learn. BUT.... hydroplaning usually results in pretty quick deceleration.... so you can wait it out if you don;t hit the brakes or turn the wheel.... then, as the car slows the tires sink.

Live and learn.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep...initial reaction is to turn wheel to fix the drift, but that makes it worse. Then you panic automatically hit the brakes, which lock up. Away spinning you go. Worst case you end up in the opposite lane sideways with a truck coming your way.

Take foot off throttle and brake then gently glide the car to the shoulder. Eventually you stop and hopefully there was enough room before hitting something.

It sounds like OP did the right thing to control it and saved themselves the spin because for some reason the steering wheel was locked up...or the front was completely afloat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSM Failure in the rain this morning