Is it still possible...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:27 PM
BG3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is it still possible...

...to buy a good 997.2?

Several times now, I have been fooled. What looked to be a good car, did not pass muster upon PPI or with one in particular, the initial look over. The couple that were good, were sold out from under me after committing to buy but, before I could close the deal. Some of us actually have to work! Once again, I thought I had finally found the near perfect car for me. Offered the guy his ask in cash as I felt this one was fairly priced, assuming it was as presented. Now I'm getting crickets. He finally replied this morning, after almost a week, and said the car is no longer available. This has been the most frustrating process. I never imagined it being this hard to buy a car. I thought the years of working for it would have been the hard part!

Here's what I'm looking for. If you happen to see a worthy candidate, please send me a private message and please don't post it here...

'09 - '12 997.2 C2S or C4S Coupe
Prefer Blues or Grays. (May consider other colors, no black)
Manual
Sport Seats (ventilated a plus for NC but, not absolutely necessary)
S PASM preferred but not required
PSE
Bluetooth
Nav
Full leather is a bonus

Really appreciate the help this community has provided already. Thank you!

Last edited by BG3; 02-09-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

I know everyone thinks the 997.2 is the best 911 ever. Scratch that, the 997.2 is the best 911 ever. But I think prices and availability reflect production numbers rather than anything else. They made half as many 997.2's as .1's. Thank the recession.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It's definitely possible. Finding the right 911 is a commitment like anything else. Many of us spent a year or two in the process. Try and enjoy the hunt. Be prepared to put down a cash deposit when you find a car that seems pretty close to what you want, that'll help keep them from getting away from you. That can be a key part of it, not waffling around on a car for a few days without securing it with a deposit. I lost out on 2 or 3 that I wanted as well, I'm sure that's been the case for quite a few folks here. Stick with it! The rewards are worth the trouble
Old 02-09-2019, 01:08 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I found one just before Christmas, and bought it days before going on a 6 week vacation. To make the deal happen, I traded a car and paid in full before I left , and the dealer kept the car on a battery tender in inside storage until I got back.. I had looked for over a year for just the right combination of color and features. Ended up with a C4S cab with all the options. So far, so good. I didn't particularly want to buy in the winter, when I wouldn't be using the car, but sometimes you have to use your instincts and make a judgement call if you find your ideal car.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:20 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Finding everything will be tough. You can always get the sport seats later and modify the exhaust for a little more sound. There's an 09 C2S on BAT that has low miles and sport PASM and unique color. Good luck with the search. Silver will be easier to find with the options you want since black won't do.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-s-7/
Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Finding everything will be tough. You can always get the sport seats later and modify the exhaust for a little more sound. There's an 09 C2S on BAT that has low miles and sport PASM and unique color. Good luck with the search. Silver will be easier to find with the options you want since black won't do.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-s-7/
That looks to be a nice car. Wonder where it will end up at price wise.

OP - Good luck with the search.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:50 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Do you want a coupe or convertible? In a 997.2 you can either have the ventilated seats or the sport seats, but not both. I have the ventilated seats in NC and would definitely choose them over the sport seats.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

It took me 6 months to find my 997.2, checking the internet daily for cars within 500 miles of me. When one popped up that met my criteria, I had to put a deposit down then do research in the 3 days after putting down the deposit before I was able to fly out to buy the car. The 997.2 production numbers are low, if you are looking for specific options you have to act fast. Base or S low option cars in black are pretty easy to find, if that's what you wanted you can take your time, but you aren't looking for that.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:54 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

PM sent
Old 02-09-2019, 01:57 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Took me nearly 2 years to find a vehicle I liked the specs on. I think its the manual transmission that keeps the numbers low as the PDK was well received.

Good luck. I was lucky by finding the buyer before he listed the car. Avoided other people beating me to it and also helped the seller as he didn't have to deal with tire kickers.

Put a WTB in your signature here. If a member of PCA, place a WTB on their online classifieds. Where I got the most amount of attention. Be aware those PCA members price them a little high on average it seems.

Best of luck.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Like others have said. It is all supply and demand. The supply is low (due to the recession production numbers at that time) and the demand high. As time goes on more will get used or torn up and wrecked driving the supply lower and the demand will either continue to increase or shift to the newer 991 series. The best thing I can tell you is get all your funds in a liquid state. Then be prepared to move quickly when one comes up even if it is across the country as good ones will not sit. Mine took me about 6 months to find and I had very few requirements, but it was 1700 miles away and by the afternoon of the day it was posted I had reserved it. When I flew in the next week to check it out and drive it home both the dealer and the PPI place said they priced it 10k too low, which they did. Best of luck on the search. Oh and the 1700 miles home was wonderful. Sports seats are incredible even after my 3 spinal surgeries. I could sit in those seats all day long.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:34 PM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oofie810
That looks to be a nice car. Wonder where it will end up at price wise.

OP - Good luck with the search.
This car was at the Pagani dealer in Newport Beach couple weeks ago. It's a nice clean well cared for 911. They were asking $59,900. I tried making a deal with them but they didn't want budge on the price and I thought it was a couple thousand too high. They have another 2009 C2S there now with 26,xxx miles and asking the same price. It's gray/black, manual, no sport chrono.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoCalMark
This car was at the Pagani dealer in Newport Beach couple weeks ago. It's a nice clean well cared for 911. They were asking $59,900. I tried making a deal with them but they didn't want budge on the price and I thought it was a couple thousand too high. They have another 2009 C2S there now with 26,xxx miles and asking the same price. It's gray/black, manual, no sport chrono.
This car I assume? https://www.paganinewportbeach.com/u...bb793573e7.htm

Looks to be nice as well, almost same packages as the cream colored on BaT. I think mid to low 50's would be nice on this, add on the Sports chrono from Suncoast and it will be a nice package overall.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:20 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
This car I assume? https://www.paganinewportbeach.com/u...bb793573e7.htm

Looks to be nice as well, almost same packages as the cream colored on BaT. I think mid to low 50's would be nice on this, add on the Sports chrono from Suncoast and it will be a nice package overall.
I think someone will come along and bid them over 55k on that car and it'll be gone. It's missing PSE and sport seats and an LSD/SPASM, but otherwise checks most people's boxes. If you want one of these manual 997.2s with low miles you either need to be very patient and wait for a seller who doesn't know what they have, or else be willing to pay up the extra $2-3K over what most "shoppers" consider fair.

I bought mine 1 year ago. It was a 2012 997.2 S 6sp coupe with the exact combo of options I was looking for and only 25k miles and came with a 5 year warranty. I do not regret paying $63k for it. Buying a less expensive example that needed certain expensive options retrofitted would have been false economy (for me). YMMV.

Good luck with your search.
PS: the 6speed manual cars don't really need Sport Chrono the way the PDK ones do. And avoiding that wart on the dash is a win... after all, the only purpose it serves is to measure how big of a tool we all are.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 135 Posts

If you are shopping in your local market it's probably going to be tough - I waited for over a year in Salt Lake City for one to show up. Drove to the dealer the morning after it was traded in and put down a deposit - they hadn't even been through the car yet but I knew there wouldn't be another one for a long time. Patience is key, and a willingness and ability to travel helps, I wasn't in a place to do that though - and then being able to move fast. Go get friendly with the local dealer just in case one comes through their door! I had to compromise on a few options, but I would to it again every time!

Quick Reply: Is it still possible...