Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Charging issue

Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battery Charging issue

My 2011 Carrera GTS is not keeping the battery charged properly or there is a voltage drain somewhere. The Bosch AFM battery which was 1 and 1/2 years old was going down overnight. PepBoys exchanged without even checking it. Great warranty! The new one is showing 12.3 -12.5 volts but checking it directly requires the frunk to be open. With the engine running, it is charging at 14.5 volts or higher. Is it possible that the light in the trunk is staying on? If so, is there a switch to turn it off? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:42 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lurchphil
My 2011 Carrera GTS is not keeping the battery charged properly or there is a voltage drain somewhere. The Bosch AFM battery which was 1 and 1/2 years old was going down overnight. PepBoys exchanged without even checking it. Great warranty! The new one is showing 12.3 -12.5 volts but checking it directly requires the frunk to be open. With the engine running, it is charging at 14.5 volts or higher. Is it possible that the light in the trunk is staying on? If so, is there a switch to turn it off? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Even if the light is on when the trunk is open, it shuts off after about 2 hours certainly no long enough to drain the battery. If the light on is a worry you could always remove the bulb - be careful, it gets hot. Check the manual re power management and you'll see what shuts off after a certain time. What makes you think your replacement battery is having a problem?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:38 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the reply. A fully charged AGM should be at 12.8 - 12.9 volts. I will check the manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Charging issue