997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 997.2 Sight-Unseen

Old 02-06-2019, 06:50 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

I’ve bought two 997’s sight unseen, both times from very reputable dealers who had something to lose if they misrepresented the car in this age of forums and social media. I would never buy sight unseen from an individual that I don’t know - they have nothing to lose and no incentive to deal honestly. If seller is an individual see and drive it first and of course a PPI.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

I put a deposit down site unseen. Had to move fast to get the spec I wanted. Not even time for a proper PPI although I bought from a Porsche dealer (non-CPO) and got the DME report. Deposit down on Thursday, one way ticket from Denver to Seattle on Monday, did a 30-min test drive, and signed the check. Not the smartest way to buy a car. It was a risk but it paid off. Took 5 days to drive back I was having so much fun.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:55 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest the answer depends on you. Are you more meticulous than 95% of other people? The Rennlist crowd seems a bit more OCD than your average car enthusiasts. Are you expecting a near perfect car? If so, I would follow most of the suggestions above. If you are expecting a driver, have similar expectations as most other car enthusiasts and have become comfortable with the seller, go for it. I put a downpayment on my 996 with just a PPI but I saw the car before I handed over the check and drove it home 600 miles. I bought my 997.2 by auction and hired an inspector to check it out. He couldn't even drive it. I was away for work for over 4 months before I was home to check it out and it continues to bring me smiles every time I drive it.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:16 PM
TortugaTortuga
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
I am considering a 997.2 in NJ, but live several hours away by plane. I was initially going to base the purchase on the results of a PPI, but have read a few posts suggesting that this is not a good idea (e.g., https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fail-long.html). Is this a one-off or is it crazy to purchase sight-unseen? People must do this all the time, no?
It think it depends on circumstances and what you are comfortable with. I was 100% confident in the PPI I had done, the seller (one man auto broker) was a straight shooter, and the price was heavily discounted with plenty of margin to fix some things not caught by PPI. Ultimately I flew to get the car but would have been comfortable just shipping it and really didn't inspect the car closely once arriving because I was confident in PPI and seller (in hindsight I probably should have but everything was as described). If I was paying top dollar, buying from a private seller or didn't have full confidence in PPI I definitely would fly in before completing purchase. If you are unable to drive it back just fly round trip and ship the car.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Porsche C2S sight unseen last fall and didn't see the car until it showed up on a flatbed from over a thousand miles away. I went through a lot of anxiety and worry after I had wired the money as to whether or not it was a good car. That anxiety didn't kick in until after I had sent the check. I had emailed back and forth with the seller for almost one month and was provided with videos and photos that I asked for. I am still in shock and disbelief that the Porsche turned out to be way beyond my expectations and I was basically extremely lucky. Even though I was successful per buying sight unseen I would never do that again. The presentation of the car that you are considering isn't that impressive. The photos that the seller sent you may be better than the ones in your post. I hope so. In our passion for owning a Porsche we tend to disregard the high potential for a dealer being dishonest and convince ourselves that it will all work out. After I had received my car I got on this forum and learned for the first time of bore scoring. I bought a borescope and checked my cylinders which were OK. You might ask the seller if he would get this car bore scoped and send you the photos. In my opinion you are taking a chance as to whether or not it is a good car and that you will not regret buying it.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I see that the car was serviced at Princeton Porsche. If this car is the one, but you want some eyes on it before you go the next step with a PPI, I may be able to do a Rennfax on your behalf. PM me if you want to discuss.

Mark
Old 02-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I wouldn't spend more than 20k on a used car that I hadn't driven. I understand some others haven't had any problems, that's excellent they didn't. It's a personal choice. I figure if I can spend the money I can spend the time.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a 964 sight unseen...and learned my lesson to never purchase a used car without firsthand viewing/inspection...PPI was not thorough, “a couple overnight drips” turned into puddles, and title was delivered nearly a month after wiring...maybe it was just bad luck but you just never know
Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,134 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't. I bought both my 997s out of town - one in Detroit and one in Pittsburgh (I live in SC). My MO is to agree on a price with the seller. Work with a dealership in the area to arrange for a PPI. I fly up there with a round trip ticket, see and drive the car the day I arrive. If all looks good, I have the seller drop it off at the dealership the next morning to have the PPI performed. Anything the PPI turns up becomes a negotiating point from the previously agreed upon price. If the car checks out and we agree on the #, we go to the local AAA office to complete the deal or use the dealership to do that, then I drive them home.

If you don't have a couple days to invest in the purchase process due to your work schedule, I'd find one that's closer to you. Just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great deal for an 09 with 40K miles on it . Where in NJ is it located? Sounds like out west since he took it to Princeton for PPI. I would think that it is a good sign that he has a PPI. To me it shows he wants to be up front and honest about anything. Of course, he may have had a buyer back then who requested it and backed out.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
I am considering a 997.2 in NJ, but live several hours away by plane. I was initially going to base the purchase on the results of a PPI, but have read a few posts suggesting that this is not a good idea (e.g., https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fail-long.html). Is this a one-off or is it crazy to purchase sight-unseen? People must do this all the time, no?
Read this thread before you proceed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html
Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking back at the thread and can't see why I thought it was Princeton Porsche. Hmmm , maybe I am going crazy.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM
IMPorsche
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I was looking at the exact same car a few months back. It was listed on eBay for a few round but didn't sell. Owner claimed he is the 2nd owner and bought the car off a 2-yr lease at 18k.

The good:
had ppi at time when he purchased the car - ppi indicated curb rash on wheels

The bad:
Part of the ppi report he sent was cut off , I requested to resend and get no response.
40k service not done
no carfax
Text owner/seller and received no response
Tires are mystery. owner stated not original tires but refused to answer if he changed the tires after purchase or how many miles on the tires. Instead referred me to tire thread info on the ppi report and stated they are in really good condition.
Seller never response to text when I requested an in person inspection.

Let me know if there is anything else that I could help.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
That is a great deal for an 09 with 40K miles on it

No such thing as a great deal on a Porsche sports car. If it truly is priced far below average for mileage and year... there are reasons. There are always reasons. Being able to buy a "great deal" is possible, but in due time it will be revealed why it is not in fact a great deal. whether the buyer acknowledges these deficits or not.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttreat
I would suggest the answer depends on you. Are you more meticulous than 95% of other people? The Rennlist crowd seems a bit more OCD than your average car enthusiasts. Are you expecting a near perfect car? If so, I would follow most of the suggestions above. If you are expecting a driver, have similar expectations as most other car enthusiasts and have become comfortable with the seller, go for it. I put a downpayment on my 996 with just a PPI but I saw the car before I handed over the check and drove it home 600 miles. I bought my 997.2 by auction and hired an inspector to check it out. He couldn't even drive it. I was away for work for over 4 months before I was home to check it out and it continues to bring me smiles every time I drive it.
In general, I tend to be more OCD than others (I was obsessed with keeping my current car free of dings and scratches during the first year that I owned it, before realizing that some things are out of my control). In this case, I am being more realistic given that (i) the car is ~10 years old and (ii) will be used as my DD in a city.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying 997.2 Sight-Unseen