RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Nice. Congrats!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Off topic, but how well does black powdercoat do on OEM turbo wheels like the OP's, I am mounting a set in spring and considering changing to gloss black? Nice looking car, congrats.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
987.2 Caymans are dropping into that range with regularity; I have seen several really nice manuals in the last couple of months with low miles anywhere from $32-40k. DFI engine! $3500 in that 3.4L nets you 365hp, so I would say that is comparable. It is lot faster and more capable than a 997.1, which is why they are so damn popular for DE events.

Heck, here is a higher mile 981 CS with X73 for under $40k. Sure, it is a PDK, but you can find a manual if you are patient. I would also consider this an improvement over a 997.1. It is certainly a quicker car on a technical track, and the power to weight ratio is also superior.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=228960694

Edit! I see you purchased a TT. Nice. I suppose you paid more than $40 for her though?
Originally Posted by Skwerl
Congratulations on the TT. Let's hear some details on that bad boy!
Originally Posted by TheBruce
oh that is awesome!!!
Originally Posted by Petza914
Nice. Congrats!
Thanks, y'all! I am super stoked about this one. I think this is the greatest deal in automotive history (at least... in my automotive history). I totally stole this car... I have high confidence that this was the cheapest clean title, running 997 TT - by a wide margin. No accidents, well maintained, and I'm the third official owner. $135k MSRP with black/stone grey full leather, sport chrono, rear wiper, red tails, nav, illuminated sills, and crests in the seats.

The previous owner had it for 7 years. It has miles and it's a tip. Those are the "downsides" although I am pleasantly surprised with the tip so far, and overall it wears the miles well. It's gonna be a daily driver.

Coolant lines and the camshafts were pinned during engine out service 15k miles ago which included new plugs, coils, injectors, chain tensioners, gaskets, etc. Leak down test showed 95-96% all cylinders. New starter and ground strap. It runs like a top, minimal Mezger chatter at idle.

Now for the goodies:

FVD brombacher exhaust and tune, fabspeed quad tips, and fabspeed intake. It sounds great! Got the stock intake and two car covers.

Prev owner had Recaros so the stock seats that were put back in prior to sale are in excellent shape, no bolster wear.

I test drove it about 30 miles, made sure to try out every button/mode. Got it on the lift and went over the car head to toe with two Porsche mechanics. We spent 3 hours. The engine is really clean thanks to the major service. Here's what it needs:

1. Rear driver's shock
2. Front driver's tie rod
3. 1 spoiler ram has leaked out
4. Front driver's seat aft/stern control is finicky
5. airbag light cleared after seat exchange
6. engine bay/frunk switch
7. 1 of the aftermarket LED DRLs has a loose connection

For the price I paid, there's a ton of room to get that stuff taken care of and also start putting my own touches on it. I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty with this one.

Name:  Z2V9XD9.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  572.4 KB

Name:  jH7QKMx.jpg
Size:  592.5 KB

Name:  NfSHq1q.jpg
Size:  993.3 KB

Name:  idxZviC.jpg
Size:  745.7 KB

Name:  7WjOgRn.jpg
Size:  989.4 KB
Old 02-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

That's great. That Turbo power is intoxicating and on the turbo, the tip is actually faster than the stick because it never has to come off boost during a shift.

Get yourself some K&N Hydrophobic prefilters for those open air filters. They will help to keep them from getting saturated with water when you drive in the rain so the filtering remains effective. They have both regular prefilters for very dusty conditions and hydrophobic prefilters that repel water. They come in black, red, yellow, and blue.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Congrats, welcome to the turbo club!

RE: the rear spoiler, there are a couple of different solutions for that, you can convert to electric or Kevin (on the turbo forum) can rebuild the cylinders if you want to keep it OEM.

Hard to tell from the pics, is it flat or basalt black?

If you are into DIY, there are a lot of little projects you can do to this car (both maintenance and performance related..)

If you have a Durametric or Foxwell you can reset that airbag light.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's great. That Turbo power is intoxicating and on the turbo, the tip is actually faster than the stick because it never has to come off boost during a shift.

Get yourself some K&N Hydrophobic prefilters for those open air filters. They will help to keep them from getting saturated with water when you drive in the rain so the filtering remains effective. They have both regular prefilters for very dusty conditions and hydrophobic prefilters that repel water. They come in black, red, yellow, and blue.
Excellent, I will order that right away. Thanks, Pete!

Originally Posted by saabin
Congrats, welcome to the turbo club!

RE: the rear spoiler, there are a couple of different solutions for that, you can convert to electric or Kevin (on the turbo forum) can rebuild the cylinders if you want to keep it OEM.

Hard to tell from the pics, is it flat or basalt black?

If you are into DIY, there are a lot of little projects you can do to this car (both maintenance and performance related..)

If you have a Durametric or Foxwell you can reset that airbag light.
I am definitely into DIY. I can't wait to dig into this car. I need to find Kevin for the ram rebuild I would rather keep the it stock if possible.

The car has paint code A1 - regular black, not metallic. I am thinking this is gonna be a great wrap candidate. 3M intense gloss blue is what I have my eye on.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Scottc714
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice looking car. Youll sleep better at nite with the Metzger . Pretty much bulletproof. Same bottom end as a 930 turbo. Nothing like M96, M97 motors. But you must know all this already.
The nice thing about the tip is you wont have to worry about missed shifts and over revs. If you punch it in auto mode all the shifts will be at redline. Its pretty smart lol.
I had a 996 TT with tip and unfortunately got bored pretty quickly with it. The shifting was just slushy under normal driving conditions at times. Youll find yourself reaching for the stick shift at times but its gone now.
When I bought mine i was actually looking for a 997 but ended up staying clear due to the bore scoring issues, but i ended up coming around anyway and ended up in my current 08 with 22K on it.
i did enough reading and research and came to the conclusion that for me it was an acceptable risk after all.
I just hope you didnt have to talk yourself into the tip. if you were looking for that you should be fine.

Be careful in that thing. Theyre faster than **** !! its ridiculous
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Funny how people keep saying "Metzger" (meaning butcher) instead of Mezger

Congrats with the purchase, looks great!

Quick Reply: Sold the 997.1 - on to the next?