Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAC PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

i had an interesting run in with one of the RAC employees when i bought my car in San Antonio. I was driving north towards Dallas and i see another 997.2 so i pull up next to him, give him thumbs up and we both take off. Doing well into 3 digits for a while. We both get off at a gas station and have a few words. Cool guy, but then he drops a bomb saying it wasnt his and it was one of the customers cars. I wouldnt want my car driven at those speeds by any shop.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:41 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
i had an interesting run in with one of the RAC employees when i bought my car in San Antonio. I was driving north towards Dallas and i see another 997.2 so i pull up next to him, give him thumbs up and we both take off. Doing well into 3 digits for a while. We both get off at a gas station and have a few words. Cool guy, but then he drops a bomb saying it wasnt his and it was one of the customers cars. I wouldnt want my car driven at those speeds by any shop.
Wow. This thread isn't going well for RAC.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

There's another thread on here somewhere from a 997 owner who had his car serviced at RAC and they gave it back to him with (if I remember correctly) the oil overfilled by at least 1 full qt. Good thing running with too much oil can't damage anything like an AOS...oh, wait...

You know with social media being what it is today, you pull enough shenanigans and the sh*t going to catch up with you at some point. Looks like that may be starting to happen.

In the old days, I was in Dallas for business when I was just starting my search for a 997, in April 2009. That's when the RUF Auto Center had just recently been opened I think. I talked to a couple people there and had a nice visit, tour, etc. That's when Hans Hoffman and Wayne Corley were there and Wayne is the one I setup the visit with who showed me around. I believe Hans is still there an has helped me with a few things over the years, but he may be the last good one left there from the early days.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:29 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Not at all surprising to everybody above. That was a good outfit years ago. Anyone worthwhile is gone. Hans sits at a desk and that’s roughly the extent of it. Save your shekels and call Charlie Lacy a Time Innovative Autosports. Maverick PCA member and advertiser. Skip RAC.

Last edited by ALEV8; 02-02-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 PM
technologydriven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing duplicate post.

Last edited by technologydriven; 02-08-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Removing duplicate post.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

I must say this thread astounds me. I have dealt with RUF and RAC many times over the years and they have done me some huge favors and gone out of their way to do the right thing. I have not had any dealings with them in the last few years and its so sad to see that group going down hill. I am surprised that Hans is allowing that to happen if he is involved.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:18 PM
kalanioc
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all, I am very sorry to hear about your wife.

I was in the Dallas area for business a year ago. I had some free time so I visited RAC. Nice collection of cars, but I got more attention from a friendly dog that was running around the showroom than from anyone else.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:12 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Been thinking about this thread a lot over the past few days, as posting about my experience at RAC got me fired up all over again even though it was over a year ago.

Anyway I wanted to come back and add that there is a great alternative to RAC in the DFW area called Dallas Motorsports (located in Wylie). I have nothing but positive things to say about these guys. I went out there to look at a 997.1 that I had no intention of buying (wrong color, vert, auto etc) mostly just to meet the guys and try to form a relationship with someone who could help me buy my first 911. They spent a lot of time with me, answering questions and giving advice. Eventually I told them exactly what I wanted, they began a search for me. If they found a car that fit the bill and they were satisfied with the answers they got to questions from the seller, they'd bring it to me and we'd discuss the car/history/price etc. Once we found one I liked, they arranged for the PPI, the sale, and the transportation.

Since then I have taken my car to them a couple of times, once for an oil change and then another time to fix the "slow start when warm" issue and do a couple of very minor mods. Both of those interactions with them were also very positive.

All that is to say, there is really no reason to deal with RAC in any capacity when Dallas Motorsports exists about 30 minutes away. Great bunch of guys who seem to geniunely love cars and helping other people get in on the fun.

Edited to add that I’m very sorry to hear about your wife and I wish you both the best of luck, and that’s far more important than any car or dealership.

Last edited by BradtheAg; 02-02-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I had an issue with them when they were Ruf . . . Its documented somewhere on here and don't feel like rehashing. I personally would not buy anything from them again.

I have to say I am completely blown away by the fact that they would purchase or even attempt to purchase cars out from those having them perform PPIs. If true, that is pretty much an all time low to me. Not sure why, but that does not sit well. Some of us spend a lot of time looking for special car and then have something like that happen . . .
Old 02-02-2019, 05:25 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been in their shop.
I was trying to buy a 997 and looked at theirs.
In short, do not take their word on any cars, do your home work.
I would not recommend them.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Best wishes to your family and goo luck to your wife .
As to rac, karma's a bitch...
Old 02-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

RAC mostly sell the cars they have on consignment so they jack up the prices. I called to inquire about a PPI and they weren't very helpful and didn't seem like they wanted my business. I went to Mayo instead.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 PM
technologydriven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the slow reply due to recent work intervening.
​​
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and thoughts.

My wife’s current medication has slowed progression which should continue for some period of time.

Hopefully research brings the next needed drugs or maybe even a path to reversal.

Some has been written about the problems caused by how the Owner’s son run the business when given the opportunity. I feel for Hans who clearly is stuck between the switches at this point. Solomon Roffe should not be in the position he is in.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:18 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Hans was my service provider when they PPI'd a stunning 997.2 GTS for me. I did not take the car, but did not have a bad experience dealing with Hans. The other dealership that had the GTS, they were ridiculous. They sold the car for $500 less that I was willing to pay because they couldn't wait for a month for me to get back from deployment to bring the check in myself.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 AM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I have dealt with them for 10 years. I haven’t had any issues during purchasing or servicing.

Quick Reply: RAC PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE