Sponsored by:

RAC PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:31 PM
technologydriven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAC PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE

My wife was diagnosed with metastatic cancer a year ago in mid-December. I paid RAC Performance for a car on 12/17/17, asked they not ship on 12/26 because of my wife’s situation and asked for the sale to be reversed on 12/31 at which point I had not received the vehicle Title held as collateral by their lender. I asked RAC Performance to refund my money and keep $4,000 for their efforts which I thought generous. Not until a month later I was told they would buy the car back at 90% of my payment or sell the car on consignment. A few weeks later RAC Performance would not move more than 90% to another car a friend would buy.

Worse I got a call from Solomon Roffe (medication point of sales and gas & oil industry hardware sales background) for the first time in late April introducing himself as the owner and replacing Tristan Bergen. The call was mostly about substantially lowering the consignment price to move the car quickly if the buyer at the time did not complete the sale. RAC set the original sell price not me and they never asked it be incrementally lowered. When the buyer was lost (quite a story in itself, some parts very hard to believe) Solomon removed the car from their site without notice in an attempt to force a lower consignment price. Solomon said he had done a great favor to list the car in the first place.

A week later Solomon would not refund the $1,500 prepaid shipping until the car was picked up and said they would start deducting $399 monthly storage charges. It took four attempts to get the full shipping refund due to a partial initial check then the balance mailed to an incorrect address. I moved the car to another re-seller where it sold in approximately 60 days after the listing process was complete.

RAC Performance promised the original steering wheel in an email prior to the sale then said they did not have access to old emails, no longer had the wheel, never promised it and that I was harassing them. They did not provide the second key.

When I reached Hans Hoffmann who expressed genuine concern for my wife’s situation to ask Jacky Roffe (Hans’ Partner) to call me Hans said “you know Jacky is Solomon’s father” and after I provided the history said “you notice I am not saying anything” so Hans appears well aware of Solomon’s behavior. Jacky did not return my calls or answer email.

There was a Title issue that two different people at the Texas DMV and a third person at the Texas Secretary of State’s Office said would easily be resolved and offered to discuss directly with RAC Performance or as a group. RAC would not cooperate or participate in the call. When I explained what the Texas DMV had said, RAC Performance accused me in an email of asking them to commit fraud.

Clearly RAC Performance sells cars without problems so you can come to your own conclusions when you get to that point. Throughout my dealings I received partial truths, false promises, accusations and or did not receive email replies in an effort for Solomon or Tristan to substantiate or delay whatever the situation was at the time.

I have never posted an unfavorable review on the Internet and this is not about getting even. In my case it is hard to imagine a worse experience as a Buyer or Seller and these things are not representative of a well-run business. RAC Performance may or may not have financial problems as it appeared at points.

Ultimately I will come out of this very close to where I would have been if RAC Performance had accepted my initial $4,000 offer but only with luck and substantial time and effort. The unpleasantness created by how RAC Performance handled this is really beyond reason and something no rational person would ever inflict on a Customer let alone a frequent buyer as RAC Performance was told I would be through a previous relationship. Not sure this is as simple as their greed and ignorance indicate.

Anyone considering RAC Performance should proceed with extreme caution and seriously consider paying only when delivery is taken and Title passes to the Buyer.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:35 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

I am very sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she is back riding shotgun with you soon.

Re RAC, I got my PPI done there. My experience with their service department was positive and I have no complaints, except they were pricey. I also enjoyed checking out their warehouse. Its like a museum.

That being said, while I was waiting I overheard one of their salesman talking (more like yelling) at a customer over the phone. It was not remotely professional. He was combative, rude and just sounded sleazy. I commented to myself the sales department seemed like a bunch of sleazeballs who were trading off the service departments reputation and RUF history....and I was sure glad I wasn't dealing with them.

Dont let it get you down. You've got more important things to think about.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:33 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife.

I had a horrible experience with RAC as well. Had a car sent their for a PPI, while I was negotiating repairs with the seller (another shady Dallas area dealer), RAC went ahead and made an offer and bought the car out from under me! Lesson learned, don't deal with RAC!
The following users liked this post:
Own Goal (05-23-2020)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:00 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by technologydriven
My wife was diagnosed with metastatic cancer a year ago in mid-December. I paid RAC Performance for a car on 12/17/17, asked they not ship on 12/26 because of my wife’s situation and asked for the sale to be reversed on 12/31 at which point I had not received the vehicle Title held as collateral by their lender. I asked RAC Performance to refund my money and keep $4,000 for their efforts which I thought generous. Not until a month later I was told they would buy the car back at 90% of my payment or sell the car on consignment. A few weeks later RAC Performance would not move more than 90% to another car a friend would buy.

Worse I got a call from Solomon Roffe (medication point of sales and gas & oil industry hardware sales background) for the first time in late April introducing himself as the owner and replacing Tristan Bergen. The call was mostly about substantially lowering the consignment price to move the car quickly if the buyer at the time did not complete the sale. RAC set the original sell price not me and they never asked it be incrementally lowered. When the buyer was lost (quite a story in itself, some parts very hard to believe) Solomon removed the car from their site without notice in an attempt to force a lower consignment price. Solomon said he had done a great favor to list the car in the first place.

A week later Solomon would not refund the $1,500 prepaid shipping until the car was picked up and said they would start deducting $399 monthly storage charges. It took four attempts to get the full shipping refund due to a partial initial check then the balance mailed to an incorrect address. I moved the car to another re-seller where it sold in approximately 60 days after the listing process was complete.

RAC Performance promised the original steering wheel in an email prior to the sale then said they did not have access to old emails, no longer had the wheel, never promised it and that I was harassing them. They did not provide the second key.

When I reached Hans Hoffmann who expressed genuine concern for my wife’s situation to ask Jacky Roffe (Hans’ Partner) to call me Hans said “you know Jacky is Solomon’s father” and after I provided the history said “you notice I am not saying anything” so Hans appears well aware of Solomon’s behavior. Jacky did not return my calls or answer email.

There was a Title issue that two different people at the Texas DMV and a third person at the Texas Secretary of State’s Office said would easily be resolved and offered to discuss directly with RAC Performance or as a group. RAC would not cooperate or participate in the call. When I explained what the Texas DMV had said, RAC Performance accused me in an email of asking them to commit fraud.

Clearly RAC Performance sells cars without problems so you can come to your own conclusions when you get to that point. Throughout my dealings I received partial truths, false promises, accusations and or did not receive email replies in an effort for Solomon or Tristan to substantiate or delay whatever the situation was at the time.

I have never posted an unfavorable review on the Internet and this is not about getting even. In my case it is hard to imagine a worse experience as a Buyer or Seller and these things are not representative of a well-run business. RAC Performance may or may not have financial problems as it appeared at points.

Ultimately I will come out of this very close to where I would have been if RAC Performance had accepted my initial $4,000 offer but only with luck and substantial time and effort. The unpleasantness created by how RAC Performance handled this is really beyond reason and something no rational person would ever inflict on a Customer let alone a frequent buyer as RAC Performance was told I would be through a previous relationship. Not sure this is as simple as their greed and ignorance indicate.

Anyone considering RAC Performance should proceed with extreme caution and seriously consider paying only when delivery is taken and Title passes to the Buyer.
Wow, that's very serious. I'm very sorry to hear about wife. What's her current status now?

Originally Posted by idlook2
Sorry to hear about your wife.

I had a horrible experience with RAC as well. Had a car sent their for a PPI, while I was negotiating repairs with the seller (another shady Dallas area dealer), RAC went ahead and made an offer and bought the car out from under me! Lesson learned, don't deal with RAC!
That happened to me too. I found a 997.2 in Texas and called RAC to schedule a PPI since they were close. They snaked me and ended up buying the car before I had any chance to set up the logistics.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:11 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Sorry to hear about the situation. Seems like them keeping the car and $4k cash was a great deal they should have been happy with.

As far as RAC buying cars from out from under multiple people.. .thats awful. Glad to know about all this. Just as an aside, posting comments on RAC performance on google reviews will get it seen by a lot of people, far more than rennlist
Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Sorry to hear about the situation. Seems like them keeping the car and $4k cash was a great deal they should have been happy with.

As far as RAC buying cars from out from under multiple people.. .thats awful. Glad to know about all this. Just as an aside, posting comments on RAC performance on google reviews will get it seen by a lot of people, far more than rennlist
Not really worth it for me at this point. I was pretty pissed initially but I've moved on. RAC is just another crappy "exotic" car dealer. They buy cars at auction (or out from under PPI customers) and market them nicely nationwide. Karma will catch up with them one day.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:14 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to RAC when I was shopping for my 997.1 because I had heard great things about them. I'm not sure if its because I'm kind of young (and look even younger than I am) or what, but I could not possibly have been less impressed with my experience there. Pompous aceholes who acted like I wasn't worth their time. I decided to spend my $40k+ elsewhere and I'm very happy I did.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I hope your wife is doing better.

Unfortunate situation with RAC. At one time, they were the place to go. Unfortunately, it sounds like they have become another used car dealer with questionable tactics. What goes around, comes around.
Chaos (05-23-2020)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

There's probably a reason RUF pulled their distributor rights a few years ago (2011 or so) after setting them up as the RUF Auto Center, which is where the RAC initials they kept came from.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife and wish you the best of luck What a terrible time to have to deal with this type of BS.
63mercedes (06-04-2021)
Old 02-01-2019, 12:35 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, thanks for the review. Very useful for potential buyers. Once again we are reminded not to judge a book by the cover. They may have a great showroom and great cars.... but all that is useless if they are not professional/courteous and human.. I have removed them from my list..
Old 02-01-2019, 12:49 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow! I had a PPI done at RAC with my 993TT years ago... seller did tell me that someone offered him $1 more for the price we agreed upon but honored the deal with me. Interesting...
Old 02-01-2019, 01:27 PM
technologydriven
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and thoughts.

My wife’s current medication has greatly slowed progression which should continue for some period of time. Hopefully research brings the next needed combination of drugs or maybe even some form of reversal.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

You'd think for the premium prices they ask, you'd get premium service instead of usual used car lot shysterism.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:43 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by technologydriven
My wife was diagnosed with metastatic cancer a year ago in mid-December.
Best wishes for full recovery.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
That being said, while I was waiting I overheard one of their salesman talking (more like yelling) at a customer over the phone. It was not remotely professional. He was combative, rude and just sounded sleazy. I commented to myself the sales department seemed like a bunch of sleazeballs who were trading off the service departments reputation and RUF history....and I was sure glad I wasn't dealing with them.
Could have been me! I called about a vehicle and I got the most rude, sleazy sales person. Didn't seem like they wanted to sell a car.

Originally Posted by BradtheAg
Went to RAC when I was shopping for my 997.1 because I had heard great things about them. I'm not sure if its because I'm kind of young (and look even younger than I am) or what, but I could not possibly have been less impressed with my experience there. Pompous aceholes who acted like I wasn't worth their time. I decided to spend my $40k+ elsewhere and I'm very happy I did.
Glad I didn't purchase there. Stopped looking after my experience above.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:09 PM
technologydriven
Rennlist Member

Not sure how this happened, removing duplicate post.

Last edited by technologydriven; 02-08-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Removing duplicate post.

Quick Reply: RAC PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE