Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550i x msport package as daily ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 550i x msport package as daily ?

looking to replace my 08 Audi A8 with either 2016 550 ix M sport package or 2016 750 ix M sport pack - anyone have these as a daily? Thoughts? Thanks
Old 01-29-2019, 08:32 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
looking to replace my 08 Audi A8 with either 2016 550 ix M sport package or 2016 750 ix M sport pack - anyone have these as a daily? Thoughts? Thanks
Buy a Porsche instead!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by doclouie

Buy a Porsche instead!
I love the new panamera body style but just more than I’m willing to spend ...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Jeller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was just a thread on these on the VWVortex car lounge https://.vwvortex.com/showthread.php...W-F10-5-series

You may want to search https://f10.5post.com/forums/ for some more real owner answers.

Jeller
Old 01-30-2019, 12:32 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

You will get killed with depreciation! Wifey dailied an M-car and a 335is for years, and both were solid, but lost a LOT of value.

Personally, I think a Macan would be more fun and likely hold value as well, if not better than, the BMW options. I am not an SUV guy, but dang, the Macan GTS is quite a fast car!

Edit: you have a Macan in your garage. So, nevermind. I am probably not the person to ask. I daily the cheapest reliable vehicle I can find. It allows me to own something fun as my weekend car!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by raidersfan
You will get killed with depreciation! Wifey dailied an M-car and a 335is for years, and both were solid, but lost a LOT of value.

Personally, I think a Macan would be more fun and likely hold value as well, if not better than, the BMW options. I am not an SUV guy, but dang, the Macan GTS is quite a fast car!

Edit: you have a Macan in your garage. So, nevermind. I am probably not the person to ask. I daily the cheapest reliable vehicle I can find. It allows me to own something fun as my weekend car!
you're right about the depreciation , 2016 750i sport package for 1/2 price , boom!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:07 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Terrible motor which comes with horrible depreciation. Mercedes makes reliable V8 motors which is a better car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...08-2013-a.html
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

You might get better answers here:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/
Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 AM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 385 Posts

I've had great luck with my 535ix MSport which is our daily driver. No issues at all (currently at 55k miles) and one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned. I know you're asking about the 550 which is the V8 and I have no personal experience with the N63 engines. But, from what I have read, they are extreme performers but not the most reliable due to the "hot vee" design. However, there's been I think two updates to N63 since they were first launched so maybe the most recent models don't suffer from the same issues that plagues some of the first generation engines. Bottom line, if you're willing to give up a bit of horsepower, I think the inline 6 in the 535/540 is a better choice for a daily driver. f you need the V8, make sure you get a CPO so that you're covered by BMWs warranty.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:57 PM
J.R.D.
Rennlist Member

First Rennlist post! Who would have thought my BMW knowledge would be useful here...

I have a 2013 650 xDrive, non-M sport(which is just different front/rear fascias and transmission programming). Got it three years ago with 20k miles at ~55% off original MSRP - new BMWs depreciate like stones! I also got BMWs extended warranty and maintenance that covers it up to 84 months and 125k miles from original in service date(no longer offered) for a grand! Man are they losing money on that deal.

It is a supremely comfortable car, especially when you ditch the run flats. It draws admirers as well, in my opinion it is very striking. LOVE the power and gobs of torque (~480 ft lbs) - it absolutely pulls like a freight train up to the limiters (both RPM and speed). Mine benefits from the updated N63TU motor, which has revised fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, battery, crankcase vent lines, fuel pressure sensor, vacuum pump and timing chain over the earlier N63 unit used across the 50i lineup from 2009-12 that is at the center of a class action lawsuit.

Absolutely horrendous gas mileage, I'm averaging under 16 mpg over 35k commuting miles the past three years - this means I have trouble stretching a tank through a week's worth of commuting. Also, it drinks oil about a rate of one quart per 700 miles - something that BMW Corporate deems to be 'within acceptable tolerances' for this engine. So, between oil change intervals the car literally burns all the oil that was put in the engine as I add about one quart per month. Sure, I could go to my service center and have them top me off every month, but that's not terribly convenient. I just keep a couple quarts in the trunk and check the level via iDrive regularly. Also drinks about a gallon of coolant during the winter months - again something Corporate says is 'ok.' Ironically all this burning of oil and 'disappearing' coolant hasn't made a mess of the mineral white metallic bumper.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

A quote from my BMW SA..."Stay away from BMW 8 cylinder motors unless you can get a extended warranty and have patience to deal with the problems". I passed on a beautiful 650xi Convertible. .
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Originally Posted by J.R.D.
First Rennlist post! Who would have thought my BMW knowledge would be useful here...

I have a 2013 650 xDrive, non-M sport(which is just different front/rear fascias and transmission programming). Got it three years ago with 20k miles at ~55% off original MSRP - new BMWs depreciate like stones! I also got BMWs extended warranty and maintenance that covers it up to 84 months and 125k miles from original in service date(no longer offered) for a grand! Man are they losing money on that deal.

It is a supremely comfortable car, especially when you ditch the run flats. It draws admirers as well, in my opinion it is very striking. LOVE the power and gobs of torque (~480 ft lbs) - it absolutely pulls like a freight train up to the limiters (both RPM and speed). Mine benefits from the updated N63TU motor, which has revised fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, battery, crankcase vent lines, fuel pressure sensor, vacuum pump and timing chain over the earlier N63 unit used across the 50i lineup from 2009-12 that is at the center of a class action lawsuit.

Absolutely horrendous gas mileage, I'm averaging under 16 mpg over 35k commuting miles the past three years - this means I have trouble stretching a tank through a week's worth of commuting. Also, it drinks oil about a rate of one quart per 700 miles - something that BMW Corporate deems to be 'within acceptable tolerances' for this engine. So, between oil change intervals the car literally burns all the oil that was put in the engine as I add about one quart per month. Sure, I could go to my service center and have them top me off every month, but that's not terribly convenient. I just keep a couple quarts in the trunk and check the level via iDrive regularly. Also drinks about a gallon of coolant during the winter months - again something Corporate says is 'ok.' Ironically all this burning of oil and 'disappearing' coolant hasn't made a mess of the mineral white metallic bumper.

Hope this helps.
thank you for the feedback - call me crazy but it seems like the 16’ 750 x M package with 4 year extended warranty and 33k miles is a helluva lotta car for 50-55k pricepoint - I’m my opinion nothing else compares at that price point - the cars definitely sink like a missile but the depreciation will slow a bit from here ....
Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Lease it and stay away from an 8 cylinder BMW. BMW has one of the best lease programs out there.

I have a 2016 535 x-Drive as a daily and I love it. Its 3 year lease is almost coming to an end and I am cross shopping between the new 540 or the X5.

If you are set on a purchase, 2014 - 2016 (face-lifted) would be the years to get. Again, stay away from 550's, especially pre-facelift cars.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 PM
J.R.D.
Rennlist Member

thank you for the feedback - call me crazy but it seems like the 16’ 750 x M package with 4 year extended warranty and 33k miles is a helluva lotta car for 50-55k pricepoint - I’m my opinion nothing else compares at that price point - the cars definitely sink like a missile but the depreciation will slow a bit from here ....
That's exactly the position and price point I was in with my purchase. The only reason I bought was I planned to keep the car longer than a lease term, and because of the extended CPO warranty AND the extended maintenance included as well for 1k - again, I believe that is no longer offered. So far it has covered valve stem seals, three oil changes, two wheel bearings and a full set of brakes (and countless quarts of oil). If they offer a similar option now I would go with that again. In my three years of ownership I've been without the car (read: in a 320i loaner) for a total of four weeks.

As was just mentioned, they offer pretty good deals on leases as well. I picked up a custom ordered X5 diesel in June with an $80k sticker and my monthly pmt is less than 1% of the sticker price - tax included. That's about half the payment if you finance 50k for three years at today's rates - and you can order exactly what you want from the right dealer.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:03 PM
Four Ring Circus
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Being a lurker on here learning about 997s and 981s for a purchase, I usually don’t have anything to offer in the Porsche realm.
Howver, you can get the same TTV6 engine that is in the Panamera in the soon to come new Audi S6. Or if you want to save a few bucks, get two more cylinders, and stay in the Audi family take a look at any post 2016 S6. TTV8, great understated looks, top notch interior, and capable than more than you will throw at it as daily driver. I am biased, as it’s my family car/grocery getter/track car (living in city we are a one car family- which I am trying to change as I lurk on Rennlist and various classifieds). I got quite a few surprised looks at the NJ PCA event at Pocono last year hustling the S6 around the track. I have burned through brakes and tires in two years beating on it at 5-6 HPDE events per year, but it has been completely reliable.

Quick Reply: 550i x msport package as daily ?