Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty for 2009 997.2 ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Aeromat209
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended warranty for 2009 997.2 ????

Is there a company that will offer extended warranty on a 997.2 just over 100K on the clock or is that Fantasy or not worth the cost >?

I apologize if my question is too pedestrian !!!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:10 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

you might be able to find a vendor to cover the car, but be warned on high mileage cars they will hit you with "pre-existing" conditions if you turn up something soon after you sign up. you can also see a “unreasonable use” or “failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance" from the company.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:56 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with the above 100% it will be peace of mind for you until something comes up, then you have big chances of having to fight for any repairs. I would say put the $3-4K that the insurance would cost you as a safety cushion, and do preventative maintenance.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a thread which talks about extended warranties. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ices-here.html

If you look for my post, you'll see some recent price quotes I received. If I decide to purchase, I'm leaning toward the powertrain coverage to cover the big ticket items.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:33 PM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromat209
Is there a company that will offer extended warranty on a 997.2 just over 100K on the clock or is that Fantasy or not worth the cost >?

I apologize if my question is too pedestrian !!!
There are several companies that will offer you an extended warranty on that car, but I've struggled to get direct feedback from people who have used them (despite overall positive feedback from review sites). Fidelity Platinum on higher mileage cars don't seem to be worthwhile (the quotes I got from MJ were in the $8-14k range for 2-4 years coverage after the 45% retail discount. 2009 C4S 80k miles.

The best rate I've found is from Inifinite Auto who got as low as $2.100 for their Prime coverage on a 3 yr/30k mile coverage or $2,400 for 4/40k. They do make you wait 30 days or 500 miles before the policy takes effect and it doesn't cover wear parts Service Contract. As I said I have no personal experience with them, I've just had 3 long calls with a sales guy, who even called and spoke to the local Porsche Dealership mechanic and got the ok from them, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger.

Endurance Auto is another one that seemed to have good online reviews and their top tier policy came out to $3,800 for 3/30k on my vehicle. Both of my local Porsche dealerships use Zurich insurance, but their quotes were high: 3/36k was $15,000 and 2/24 was $10k for standard coverage.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenchunks
There are several companies that will offer you an extended warranty on that car, but I've struggled to get direct feedback from people who have used them (despite overall positive feedback from review sites). Fidelity Platinum on higher mileage cars don't seem to be worthwhile (the quotes I got from MJ were in the $8-14k range for 2-4 years coverage after the 45% retail discount. 2009 C4S 80k miles.

The best rate I've found is from Inifinite Auto who got as low as $2.100 for their Prime coverage on a 3 yr/30k mile coverage or $2,400 for 4/40k. They do make you wait 30 days or 500 miles before the policy takes effect and it doesn't cover wear parts Service Contract. As I said I have no personal experience with them, I've just had 3 long calls with a sales guy, who even called and spoke to the local Porsche Dealership mechanic and got the ok from them, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger.

Endurance Auto is another one that seemed to have good online reviews and their top tier policy came out to $3,800 for 3/30k on my vehicle. Both of my local Porsche dealerships use Zurich insurance, but their quotes were high: 3/36k was $15,000 and 2/24 was $10k for standard coverage.

Sounds incredibly inexpensive for a 2009 with 80K miles. It's not an exclusionary policy but a stated component policy which is part of the reason. Unlike Fidelity's Platinum policy for example which spells out what's NOT covered, this one specifies what IS covered which leaves them a lot of wiggle room as for what they will cover. Also...what's the history of Inifinite Auto? How long have they been around? Any credible feedback of their service to be found anywhere?

I got screwed a while back buying a similar policy for an E46 M3 from a pretty well known company that just shut down overnight. Long enough ago where I forgot the name of it. Warranty Gold or something comes to mind. Lost about $1,200 as I recall it. Should have done more research. As I said, they were pretty well established and a well known after market warranty company but their headquarters was in the Bahamas which had I known it would have steered me in a different direction.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I am seriously considering the Fidelity power train warranty from MJ. I figure I would wait until I can drive it again in spring. My biggest concern is a major engine or transmission failure. The lesser repairs I can live with.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Sounds incredibly inexpensive for a 2009 with 80K miles. It's not an exclusionary policy but a stated component policy which is part of the reason. Unlike Fidelity's Platinum policy for example which spells out what's NOT covered, this one specifies what IS covered which leaves them a lot of wiggle room as for what they will cover. Also...what's the history of Inifinite Auto? How long have they been around? Any credible feedback of their service to be found anywhere?

I got screwed a while back buying a similar policy for an E46 M3 from a pretty well known company that just shut down overnight. Long enough ago where I forgot the name of it. Warranty Gold or something comes to mind. Lost about $1,200 as I recall it. Should have done more research. As I said, they were pretty well established and a well known after market warranty company but their headquarters was in the Bahamas which had I known it would have steered me in a different direction.
Sandwedge, great questions, and I was looking at those exact same things when I did the research. I asked the rep about stated coverage vs. exclusionary, it's a bit of both, it states which things are not covered and which are, what I'm not sure of is an item that is neither, though I can't think of what that might be.

In regards to history, it appears according to BBB they were established in 2008, based in Michigan, and received their BBB accreditation (whatever that is) in July of 2018). 4.5/5 stars on 9 reviews from BB and an A+ rating. They're an 8.5/10 on Trustpilot with 70 reviews, 9/10 on consumer advocate, and 5/5 on consumer affairs with 12 reviews. The only bad place I have seen things is Google Reviews where there are a few negative ones about not having claims processed (but if you look up Fidelity Warranty Services, there are hundreds of negative ones). So I'm not endorsing these guys, but I've done research and it points to them being at least as good as other places if not better. Still haven't put my money where my mouth is though as I generally hear bad stories of 3rd party aftermarket warranties.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

When I bought my 2009 TT it had 68000 on the clock. I did buy it from a BMW dealership but they offered a 3/36 for about 5800.00 which I purchased also had a 300 mile exclusionary clause, but I had 400 mile trip home so took care of that the first day. All being said I have used it once so far for a Map sensor and while the car was on the lift the Porsche dealer said one of my CV Boots where bad. The warranty covered both parts and labor cost me my 200.00 deductible. on a 2400.00 dollar repair so I'm about half way covered. Truth be told I would rather of paid the warranty cost and never have to use it because my car never needed to be repaired, But alas it is a car and things breaks so it was nice to have. But what it did not cover was a new key that set me back 550.00 dollars thank you very much

P.S. they need to fix this software for a copy/paste glitch
Old 02-01-2019, 12:30 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Many people don't know that your local credit unions typically offer top notch extended warranty. Atleast here in illinois. I got a great for my bmw 6 years ago. Some unions require you finance with them for the warranty some sell the warr independently.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenchunks
Sandwedge, great questions, and I was looking at those exact same things when I did the research. I asked the rep about stated coverage vs. exclusionary, it's a bit of both, it states which things are not covered and which are, what I'm not sure of is an item that is neither, though I can't think of what that might be.

In regards to history, it appears according to BBB they were established in 2008, based in Michigan, and received their BBB accreditation (whatever that is) in July of 2018). 4.5/5 stars on 9 reviews from BB and an A+ rating. They're an 8.5/10 on Trustpilot with 70 reviews, 9/10 on consumer advocate, and 5/5 on consumer affairs with 12 reviews. The only bad place I have seen things is Google Reviews where there are a few negative ones about not having claims processed (but if you look up Fidelity Warranty Services, there are hundreds of negative ones). So I'm not endorsing these guys, but I've done research and it points to them being at least as good as other places if not better. Still haven't put my money where my mouth is though as I generally hear bad stories of 3rd party aftermarket warranties.
Sounds great. May be the best value out there given the results of your research.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

This is an important point. When the policy states what is covered a qualifying part can (and will) be denied if the insurance company determines that a non-covered part was a contributing factor.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:25 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Just did a quick search and came across the following site which ranks car warranty companies. Interestingly, the top providers don't vary much when you switch from state to state which is good in that their performance tends to be pretty consistent.

https://www.consumersadvocate.org/ca...ranty%20Brands
Old 02-02-2019, 08:34 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

4/48 for my 09 was $4200 through endurance. Car with 37,000 miles
Old 02-02-2019, 04:27 PM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in California there are two types of extended warranty's. If you're buying one from the dealership or manufacturer you're getting a Vehicle Service Contract (VSC). If you buy one out in the free market after you've purchased your car you're buying a Mechanical Breakdown Insurance policy (MBI). MBI's are the only kind allowed to be sold in CA unless it's from the dealership/manufacturer. The difference is VSC is a contract, the MBI is an insurance policy which is regulated by the department of insurance.

If you have an issue and have a VSC there's nothing you can really do. If they don't want to pay for repairs or try to wiggle out of paying they can. If you have an MBI and have an issue you can file a complaint with the department of insurance. I know this first hand because I had a valid claim and the warranty co. refused to pay. I filed a complaint with the dept. of ins. and within a week I received a letter from the warranty co. saying they will be paying for the repair. Some of these warranty co's are snakes. At least with MBI's you have someone that oversees them with VSC's you're on your own.

Also, if you use your indy guy for repairs some will provide the replacement parts so the indy guy doesn't make money on the parts. If you go to the dealer they can't push the dealer around like an indy guy. Another thing to watch for is wording saying they will pay no more in repairs during the contract term than what you paid for the car. Choose wisely on a warranty and read the sample contract before you buy. They're only a few pages.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty for 2009 997.2 ????