Sponsored by:

997.1 audio/nav unit stuck can’t remove

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:42 AM
Wenski
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 997.1 audio/nav unit stuck can’t remove

I have previously removed audio / navigation unit no issues. This time it is stuck, the allen key locks appear to over rotate and keep unit in place. The right side loose left has a little play. The silver set screw has been removed. Normally to unlock the four allen key locks it is 1/4 rotation counter clockwise. It feels like the left top (hard to reach lock is not releasing. Any ideas?

Last edited by Wenski; 01-28-2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-28-2019, 09:51 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue with the top left Allen key lock. I ended up manually depressing the metal spring clip the Allen key lock operates with my finger (a screw driver or pick would work too) while simultaneously pulling outwards on the stereo, on that side, enough to where the spring clip is held down by the frame the stereo is mounted in, and then removed as usual.

I've since removed the top left Allen key lock and remove the stereo by manually depressing. It's easier for me to do it that way versus trying to find that key lock blindly with an Allen wrench.

Last edited by Arctic997; 01-29-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Wenski
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your reply! I was really in a jam getting the radio out. This is the first time using a a forum impressed with the knowledge base. I will give the radio removal another try. Cheers!
Old 01-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic997
I had the same issue with the top left Allen key lock. I ended up manually depressing the metal spring clip the Allen key lock operates with my finger (a screw driver or pick would work too) while simultaneously pulling outwards on the stereo, on that side, enough to where the spring clip is held down by the frame the stereo is mounted in, and then removed as usual.

I've since removed the top left Allen key lock and remove the stereo by manually depressing. It's easier for me to do it that way versus trying to find that key lock blindly with an Allen wrench.
Same thing happened to us, after fighting in for way too long I finally just used my finger I think

Quick Reply: 997.1 audio/nav unit stuck can’t remove