Would you buy this car?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Pats911
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I am the Walrus
This cars over rev report is fine imo
I also had my pressure plate, go at 30k miles, on my 997.1 4s
That price seems quite high, especially with all the stuff needing attention.
The stuff on the PPI makes it seem like the car has not been maintained (perhaps I am wrong)
I'd definitely go to an indi... according to the shop manager at the dealership the inspecting tech thought he detected the clutch slipping but later determined it was cold summer tires.

Originally Posted by Steph1
I would pass on this one. If you're having doubts and second thoughts, use the PPI to get out of the deal. You will know when you find THE one.
Honestly I was thinking along these lines as well, but ultimately I could spend another year looking for "the one". I spoke with two guys in the shop, re-reviewed the info I have and ultimately I think I'm going to proceed. The suggestions here have been very helpful and reassuring.

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I guess are you buying the car to drive or are you buying it to put in the garage and treat as an investment? If you are buying it as an investment and you never intend on really driving it the yes you should pass. Otherwise the DME report is pretty meaningless and way overblown IMO. A range 5 like 50hrs ago then yes the DME has meaning, otherwise it is just #s.

Like I said, I did an experiment to see just what the over rev report actually meant in real world driving. I hit the rev limiter like once, maybe twice and added 900 ignitions to range 1 and 50 to range 2, literally bumped the limiter twice.
She's going to be a summer car. Definitely not treating this as an investment, but I did put together a spreadsheet to analyze my cost, and obviously a big piece of that is what I can expect to get back in terms of resale or trade.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
I still don't understand how all those overrev ranges are defined but I'm pretty sure I hit some 4s on the PCH today :-)
I'm pretty sure you can only hit 4 with a missed shift, but that's only based on what I've read.

Originally Posted by Petza914
The overrev ranges for .2 cars are different than for .1 cars. The first 2 ranges in .2 cars aren't even at redline. .1 cars start with range 1 at redline. .2 cars with PDK will log range 1s and 2s and Porsche is controlling the Rev limits so no opportunity for operator error, but again, those are different #s than on a .1 car.

That DME report shows a money shift at 922 hours as you can see that the range 4, 5 and 6 occurrence were all logged at the same hour mark, but that was 700 operating hours ago, so no longer something to worry about, especially since the car hasn't been babies since then.

Unless there is evidence of the clutch slipping, no need to replace it until there is and do the RMS at the same time as others have mentioned. Also pull the IMS bearing seal during that same service.

Good luck.
That makes a lot of sense and explains some of the variances in peoples experiences here. Will do on the clutch/RMS. I'd do the IMS seal or DOF then too.

Originally Posted by JustinCase
RE: Clutch. When I had my M97 engine rebuilt at 47,000 (unrelated story), I had the clutch redone just because I could do it for the price of the parts alone. The original clutch showed about 50% wear when it was removed. I suspect it would have lasted to 100,000 and beyond.
Aside from Turbos and GT cars I haven't seen a ton of info on standard clutch life, I guess that's because there really isn't a 'standard', lol.

Originally Posted by Domer911
Pat...don't feed the stray dog. Once you spend the most you've ever spent on a car, it's that much easier to do it again. Run away! Run away!
You've been talking to my wife, haven't you?!?

Originally Posted by shekmark
I would have to pull out my receipt but at my very highly regarded indy shop I had my clutch replace and my flywheel for around 3K dollars. The did the RMS because the flywheel was off. Cost was around $30 bucks extra. My flywheel added around $1200 . I hope that 1200 was for a new flywheel as well. And why change the clutch at 40K miles? Is it slipping? Clutch is normal wear and tear item so dealer makes money on that. It is not a warranty fix. Save your money on that one.
Yeah definitely the approach I'd take as well. I haven't done a ton of local research in this area but it's something I'm going to get on top of.

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
There is nothing wrong with this car. Range 5 and 6 must be glitches and 4 likely.
Whatever you do don't pay those prices for air filters! And shop around for the services you can't do.
Yeah that stuff plus plugs and oil changes I can do myself, and a good buddy can help where needed. I'll start looking into good indis shortly.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not sure why you think that, but I disagree.

The hour stamp on the range 4s, 5s and 6s is the same at 922 hours and there and the count is the same or lower the higher the rev range. Thjs car went through range 4, through range 5 and touched in range 6 for a fraction of a second at 922 hours. They're glitches when the overrev count in the higher ranges is larger than that in the lower ranges with the same hour stamp (impossible to occur) or when you get an hour stamp that's higher than than one recorded in a lower range.

That being said, they were 700 hours ago so no apparent damage occurred from that event.
This makes sense, but I struggle to imagine a scenario where it accelerates and decelerates that rapidly in what amounts to 1.66 revolutions. That works out to roughly .0066 seconds total if my math is correct, which is faster than any human could react. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. Regardless I agree, whatever damage was caused would have made itself known by now.

Originally Posted by Skwerl
For one, the numbers are just too small at those RPM to be realistic. Second, for it to have legitimately brushed range 6, it would then have to come back down through the entirety of ranges 5 and 4, which would cause greater than 2 ignitions at those extremely high RPM. People have shown enough times that these DME reports are not infallible, particularly when you have extremely low numbers at the upper ends. (There was even a guy on PistonHeads a few years back who IIRC was able to generate spurious range 5s and 6s when the car was up on a lift and definitely not being money shifted.)
I did read that most high range readings with fewer than 10 ignitions are disregarded, but the bigger piece for me right now is the time since they've taken place. Real or not, they apparently didn't impact the engine in a meaningful way.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Glitches indeed...There is no possible physics and math scenario that would cause those revs to occur, they all account for what? Two revolutions? Instantaneously?

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Good Lord, you were "stunned" by that report? This just goes to show how far overrev hysteria has reached. That report is nothing for a 6-speed car with 45k miles, and the blips in ranges 4-6 are almost guaranteed to be glitches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you buy this car?