Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300,000 Miles in my two Porsches so far... You?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM
BG3
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I'm still trying to make this dream happen. So far in test drives:
'08 C2S - 19 mi
'10 C2S - 21 mi
'11 C2 - 47 mi
'11 C4 - 39 mi

I have some catching up to do, and can't wait to get started!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

35k miles in 993tt
18k miles in 997tt
2k miles in Cayenne S
9k miles in boxster

so 64k miles in porsches of various types
Old 01-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I have slightly less than half of your miles at 142,000 miles combined between three 997's. So what do you think of my sudden idea of selling the GTS just because the odometer's first digit ticked over from a 5 to a 6 recently? Be brutally frank and honest
Hmm.... I have a bizarre value system (surprised?). If it entertains you, then have at it. For me, there are a few things in my life I spend for luxuries... my car is one of them... but my mother always said to me "Save your money... money is freedom." So..... I choose to buy nice things very selectivly, but maintain the crap out of them and enjoy them for what they are. Then, I take money I would not have spent say on a newer car, and invest it. Yes, I actually have the discipline to save unlike most Americans..... That approach is working out for me really well. I am 58 now looking at early retirement.... all because I saved and took care of my stuff. Throwing away a perfectly good car (and investment money) that I chose very carefully.... not in my system. I still would be driving that 2000 Boxster S if the 2nd engine didn't blow and assuming it would have lasted another 100K miles.... it was a great car and loved every minute of it so why would I sell it? The fact that it is not a 911 is not in my system. I would like to think that "look at me! look at me!!" is not in my system either... but I am human... so anywho.. feed both savings and a bit of vanity. Remember, "Money is freedom"... thanx Ma!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-29-2019, 03:07 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Hmm.... I have a bizarre value system (surprised?). If it entertains you, then have at it. For me, there are a few things in my life I spend for luxuries... my car is one of them... but my mother always said to me "Save your money... money is freedom." So..... I choose to buy nice things very selectivly, but maintain the crap out of them and enjoy them for what they are. Then, I take money I would not have spent say on a newer car, and invest it. Yes, I actually have the discipline to save unlike most Americans..... That approach is working out for me really well. I am 58 now looking at early retirement.... all because I saved and took care of my stuff. Throwing away a perfectly good car (and investment money) that I chose very carefully.... not in my system. I still would be driving that 2000 Boxster S if the 2nd engine didn't blow and assuming it would have lasted another 100K miles.... it was a great car and loved every minute of it so why would I sell it? The fact that it is not a 911 is not in my system.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
You are blessed to have a wise mother and even more so now financially because you took her advice to heart. I am very much in the same boat as you and hope to retire early, although it was my father who gave me similar advice about money. When you choose carefully, buy selectively, and maintain properly, then your investments in "luxury" items will last longer. There is a reason I have held on to my cars for so long. They still bring me joy so I have not felt the need to upgrade and so the miles pile on. My cars are so dialed in to what I like that it is hard to replace them. I enjoy maintaining them and hope they last me many more glorious miles.

Sandwedge, I understand there are many of us here that have no problems financially selling and purchasing newer vehicles every couple years. If that's what makes them happy and sleep better. More power to ya. The 997 GTS is a special car and always will be in the 997 line up. If you are itching real bad to try something new and different than the 997, then go for it and sell it, but if you have your doubts and think you may want another 997 in the future... then I would seriously consider keeping it. just my humble opinion.

Last edited by qikqbn; 02-02-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:09 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

i've got 77,000 on my 997 and it still feels new to me with no troubles
Old 01-31-2019, 10:56 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

2000Boxster 36000M
2006Cayenne 105000M
2009 997 4000M
-----------------------------
none a daily driver! But the Cayenne is our evening car if we leave after coming home from work it is in the Cayenne.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:02 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

All those things I consider regular maintenance of long term ownership... So just curious. How many clutch jobs and "did you remove the IMS Bearing Grease Seal on the bearing during any of your clutch jobs??"

This would be an interesting sticky thread to start and collect data for reference points. Not sure how to do that and if administrator needs to doi?

Quick Reply: 300,000 Miles in my two Porsches so far... You?