Sponsored by:

Searching for a 997 – Some Questions/Observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
First off, nice job doing your research - it's obvious you've been following along for a while as your questions and info are accurate and well-stated, which we certainly appreciate. I'll supply my opinions to your questions and we'll go through them 1 by 1...
Thank you, and thank you for the detailed responses. I already feel way more informed than I did a few weeks ago when I started to doing my research. Lot's to wrap my arms around, and this is very helpful!

It's actually easier to name the NB cars than the widebody, as there are only 3 - Base C2, C2S, and GT3 (but not the RS). Everything else is widebody, including both the Targa models (4 & 4S). [b]The confusion might stem from the 996 series, where the C2S was also a widebody car - all Ss were but that did not carryover to the 997 generation. Honestly, it's not a big deal at about 1" per side and I actually think the shape of the narrow body cars is more pure. The widebody cars get a flat spot in the middle of the rear fenders on the top whereas the NB have a continuous compound curve there. The taillights on the NB cars also go just about to the edge of the car whereas there's extra bumper outside the taillight on the WB cars, which I don't think looks quite as nice. The 997 body is plenty curvy enough with that classic "Coke-bottle" shape where it really doesn't matter. On the 996s it did, and quite a bit, since the sides were very straight without the flares at the front and rear with the skinnier beltline at the doors.
Ahhh, that makes sense. The indy I was talking to last week confused this as well, but we were also going back and forth in our conversation between 996's and 997's. This makes sense now. I agree that even the NB 997's look plenty wide for my taste, especially compared to the 996's.

The picture of your wife's car brings up another question I had. Why do some 911's have the 911 badge, and some have the Carerra badge? Having just learned about the customizable options for the gauge cluster colors, I'm assuming that his is yet another of the many cosmetic options you could order through Porsche? Or did certain years/models get the 911 badge instead of the Carerra badge?

The pink car is a C2S MT with Sport Chrono and is my wife's, but I've obviously driven it since I'm her Indy I personally don't like the Sport mode throttle mapping with a MT car. It becomes more difficult to modulate and balance in corners, is more difficult to launch smoothly when not just taking off. To me, it's the same sensation as using a SprintBooster, which simply augments the drive by wire signal from the throttle pedal to the throttle body, but isn't any different than pushing the pedal faster and further, quicker. Sport mode in the 997 is a little different than that as it also changes timing, etc.

The other problem with an S that has SC on a MT car IF YOU HAVE THE PSE EXHAUST, is that you lose the the ability to independently control the PSE exhaust with a dash button. With SC & PSE you only get a SPORT button and a PASM shock button, so you can hit the sport button that opens the exhaust, changes the throttle mapping, and puts the suspension into sport mode, then you can press the PASM button to go back to normal suspension ride, but the only way to get the sport exhaust is to be in sport mode with the throttle mapping change, or to disconnect the electric vacuum solenoid so the exhaust is in sport all the time - not the best thing when leaving the neighborhood at 5:00 AM for a flight. If you find a car with PSE, and it's a MT, it's best to not have the SC option because then you get a dedicated button for PSE and a dedicated button for PASM, like this - from L to R - spoiler, PASM, PSE, then far right PSM. If you have SC, the PSE button becomes the SPORT button.

While we're talking about PASM... stock PASM is just OK, but if you look at the car being equipped with it as a building block so that you can replace the stock PASM controller with TPC's DSC controller than makes PASM fully active based on G-forces, then it's a great thing to have.
Interesting. I appreciate your opinion on this. I test drove an '06 C2S with the Sport Chrono package a couple of weeks ago, but didn't really fiddle with those settings. Next time I definitely will. This helps explain how the different options (Sport, PASM, PSE, etc.) interact with one another. Do all of the S's have PSE standard, or was that another add-on? According to the Wiki page, it is standard for S's, but we've already found the Wiki page to be inaccurate I've been looking for a comprehensive list of the options from Porsche for the model years I'm looking at, but haven't been able to find a definitive source. Most of them sound cosmetic. I just need to determine the 3 or 4 I definitely want so I can search accordingly.

Late 05 through 08 cars SHOULD have the larger, single row IMS bearing. This one is non-replaceable, but also has a lower failure rate. For any 05 car, the only way to be certain which bearing you have is to pull the transmission and look at the bearing flange nut - larger nut = larger bearing / smaller nut = smaller bearing

If you need a guideline from the IMS lawsuit, then

There are three different serial number types for the three engine variants in our cars - base model M96.05 3.6L engines, S-model M97.01 3.8L engines, and the X51 power kit M97.01S 3.8L engines. All three have slightly different engine serial number formats.

For S-model non-X51 M97.01 engines the serial number is of the format M97/0168YXXXXX. The last 8 digits matter and are the following format:
685XXXXX = M97 for MY05
686XXXXX = M97 for MY06
687XXXXX = M97 for MY07

So the first two digits are 68, followed by the year digit, followed by a five digit serial number. But the full serial is M97/0168YXXXXX.

For X51 engines I believe the format is M97/01S68YXXXXX (added 'S' between 01 and 68).

3.6L base engines have a similar format M96/0569YXXXXX (not positive on the 05, can someone check?).

With replacement engines there is an 'AT' in front of the final eight digits. So a S-model 3.8L factory replacement engine the format would look like M97/01AT68YXXXXX.

[b]For 3.8L motors, up to M97/01 68509790 has the smaller IMS bearing and Engine number from M97/01 68509791 has the larger revised IMS.

For 3.6L motors, if the engine s/n is M96/05 69507476 and up it has the larger bearing.

Hope that helps.
This is also very helpful. It sounds like most people just hit the easy button and avoid '05's in their search so there is no question that they have the larger IMS bearing. But this might bring '05 back on the table for me knowing that I can reference specific serial numbers. Are the serial numbers easy to see if you pop the trunk (still not sure if it's call a "trunk" or a "hood" on a rear engine car. LOL) or do you need to crawl under it to see it? I saw a beautiful '05 C2S, black on black, Sport Chrono, etc. with only 41k miles a couple of weeks ago listed at a dealership here in town. I wasn't in a hurry to go see it because it was an '05, but it's since sold. I definitely won't rule out '05's with this information now!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.

The picture of your wife's car brings up another question I had. Why do some 911's have the 911 badge, and some have the Carerra badge? Having just learned about the customizable options for the gauge cluster colors, I'm assuming that his is yet another of the many cosmetic options you could order through Porsche? Or did certain years/models get the 911 badge instead of the Carerra badge?
No, some people (like us) rebadge their cars for personal preference. I believe from Porsche you could get "model designation delete" if you didn't want a badge at all or you could get "model designation in certain colors (body color, black, silver, etc) but the simple 911 numbers were never used from the factory on the 997.1 cars and they also never had rear crests on them - that's something else I do.

Do all of the S's have PSE standard, or was that another add-on? According to the Wiki page, it is standard for S's, but we've already found the Wiki page to be inaccurate I've been looking for a comprehensive list of the options from Porsche for the model years I'm looking at, but haven't been able to find a definitive source. Most of them sound cosmetic. I just need to determine the 3 or 4 I definitely want so I can search accordingly.
If that's what the Wiki page said, it's incorrect again. All Ss have PASM (suspension) and a lower ride height, whereas PSE (valved exhaust) was always an option. Everybody's "must have" list is different. My must have list isn't usually too restrictive as I'm perfectly happy to start with something and change it to the way I want it, but on my list are
  1. full leather interior, which means the tops of the doors, the top of the dash and a couple other areas are leather instead of plastic, which gives a much nicer feel to the inside of the car.
  2. Black or Cocoa interior, but this is totally a personal choice. Black is the easiest color to find used parts for if you'll be changing seats, adding leather bits, etc. The Natural leather options are also a step above where they are thicker and not sealed so more rich feeling - I don't have any cars with Natural.
  3. Adaptive Sport Seats, whether they're in the car or I install them later
  4. PCCB Brakes, whether they're in the car or I install them later - they're super expensive to do later so if you want them, best to find a car already equipped with them. I just upgraded my Cayenne to them since very few 2009 957 Turbo S Cayennes were even produced with them, but they're out there on 997s if you look.

It sounds like most people just hit the easy button and avoid '05's in their search so there is no question that they have the larger IMS bearing. But this might bring '05 back on the table for me knowing that I can reference specific serial numbers. Are the serial numbers easy to see if you pop the trunk (still not sure if it's call a "trunk" or a "hood" on a rear engine car. LOL) or do you need to crawl under it to see it? I saw a beautiful '05 C2S, black on black, Sport Chrono, etc. with only 41k miles a couple of weeks ago listed at a dealership here in town. I wasn't in a hurry to go see it because it was an '05, but it's since sold. I definitely won't rule out '05's with this information now!
Remember on the 05s, the serial # isn't a guarantee that the car has that bearing. The only way to know 100% is by transmission removal. If I were in the market for another 997, I would seek out an 05 C2S Launch Editiion. A launch car is the package that Porsche uses to introduce a new model and the package for the 997.1 C2S was awesome - full leather, power adaptive sport seats, Sport Chrono, PCCB brakes, and a few other things, but you have to like Black on Black, as that's the only way they came. 05s are great since the IMS bearing, though weak, is replaceable and you can install The IMS Solution and never worry about that again. Later in 05, you get the better bearing, like the 06s to 08s, but that's still not as good as a replaced 05. Everyone reads about the IMS issue and since they don't know any better, avoids the 05s, which I think is great, since it means the prices on those are a little lower and if I need another one, might be able to find it, but I guess that means I need to stop posting about them If the 05 you passed on was a Launch car, that would have been a good one.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Psychopoodle
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zdet
G.I.G., I just sent you a PM. I'm also in Colorado. Feel free to reach out.
Also here on the front range and daily a 997.1. Feel free to PM, happy to meet up.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:28 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Psychopoodle
Also here on the front range and daily a 997.1. Feel free to PM, happy to meet up.
Awesome! Thanks for the offer. It looks like you're in the Springs. I'll drop you a PM next time I'm heading that way.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 PM
422flatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had sport chrono in my Cayman S and my 997.2 C2S (both manual) and never use it. I don't like the throttle map changes. The novelty wears off quickly and it's way too twitchy and difficult to modulate the throttle in corners. It also completely ruins my feel for throttle/clutch modulation when shifting gears or starting from a stop, usually resulting in the clutch getting ridden a bit because I gave it more gas than I meant to due to the aggressive throttle mapping. I leave it off for street driving and autocross.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:19 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

If I were in the market for another 997, I would seek out an 05 C2S Launch Editiion. A launch car is the package that Porsche uses to introduce a new model and the package for the 997.1 C2S was awesome - full leather, power adaptive sport seats, Sport Chrono, PCCB brakes, and a few other things, but you have to like Black on Black, as that's the only way they came....

....If the 05 you passed on was a Launch car, that would have been a good one.
It definitely wasn't a Launch Edition. I did recently learn about those and knew right off the bat that the one I was looking at online didn't have the PCCB option due to the red calipers (vs. yellow). That would be something special if I came across one.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:40 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Oil changes: DIY vs. Indy Shop? Indy (my preference).

Body width: Does a 4 or S make it wide? 997 wide body models: carrera 4, carrera 4S, carrera GTS, carrera 4 GTS, targa 4, targa 4S, turbo, turbo S, GT3 RS (edited: add GT2, GT2 RS, sport classic and speedster).

Seasonal price increases? yes, spring and summer.

Black gauges on some S models: I have no idea.

Sport Chrono for MT’s: not really necessary with MT (IMO)

Last edited by ElectricChair; 01-25-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair

Body width: Does a 4 or S make it wide? 997 wide body models: carrera 4, carrera 4S, carrera GTS, carrera 4 GTS, targa 4, targa 4S, turbo, turbo S, GT3 RS.
Nice list - add GT2 & GT2RS for completeness.

That's why I said it's easier to just list the NB models, as there are only 3 - C2, C2S, & GT3 (non RS version)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

^^^^^^ correct, add GT2 and GT2 RS and also the sport classic and speedster to the wide bodied 997 list.

I might be forgetting to add some special edition.

Quick Reply: Searching for a 997 – Some Questions/Observations