Sponsored by:

2006 911 C2S key won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:41 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2006 911 C2S key won't come out

Hi. My key won't come out of the ignition in my C2S 2006 Tiptronic. This is kinda intermittent. It's been a month and the key still won't come out unless I use the small rod on the fuse box, punch the button and then the key will release. So I went to the dealer over last summer about this and they said that the solenoid in the shifter is getting stuck. This prevents it from getting a "signal". Well they said it would be 1500.00 to replace and install a new shifter. I don't drive the car everyday. It is very annoying to stop and can't get the key out. I did not even know there was a solenoid in the shifter. I thought that perhaps the tranny was slipping. Sometimes after rough driving and then I stop I can normally take the key out.

Has anyone ever had this issue? I have not started throwing parts (ignition switch, etc) at the car as the dealer had the car for a whole day and came to the above conclusion. I am very handy as I put the tranny and engine in this car so I could probably swap out the shifter. Any tips, prayers, thoughts, recommendations will be much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

When the key doesn't come out do you get any sort of message that says shifter not in park or anything. Sometimes a low battery condition will prevent the key lock from releasing. Do you have a 2nd key for the car? Does it do the same thing. Does jiggling the shift lever ever cause it to release?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:43 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Petz. No jiggling hasn't worked. I have a brand new battery with plenty of juice. I do get the message "car is not in park, please move lever to park". Yet the tip shifter is in park. It's like the car doesn't recognize it's in park. This only happens when putting in park. Other that that the manual mode works and all gears engage. Really a stumper.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dennis, I actually didn't notice this was you when first replying. You've had this problem since the initial build / restoration, correct?

Unfortunately, the dealer is probably correct and the solenoid in the shifter mechanism or sensor isn't working well. I think you'll have to take it apart to see if there's something you can clean to improve the action, or once apart you can probably fix it yourself after finding the part for a lot less than $1,500. Since you did an engine reinstall in that car, I'm not too worried about you being able to take the console and shifter stuff apart.

See if the MA Carbon website has some good, applicable videos to show you where the trim clips and things are.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:33 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I may be out of my league here but I remembered seeing something about resolving
this issue in the manual. I am sorry that Ican't seem to upload a copy of the page. It is page 76.
In essence it says that there is a metal thingy in the fuse compartment or door and it is used to pry the key surround and pull the
key out. Hope this is your problem.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 01-19-2019, 06:56 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ogun228
I may be out of my league here but I remembered seeing something about resolving
this issue in the manual. I am sorry that Ican't seem to upload a copy of the page. It is page 76.
In essence it says that there is a metal thingy in the fuse compartment or door and it is used to pry the key surround and pull the
key out. Hope this is your problem.
Thanks. I have been using that "thingy" for about 3 months now. Will need to get this fixed.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Dennis, I actually didn't notice this was you when first replying. You've had this problem since the initial build / restoration, correct?

Unfortunately, the dealer is probably correct and the solenoid in the shifter mechanism or sensor isn't working well. I think you'll have to take it apart to see if there's something you can clean to improve the action, or once apart you can probably fix it yourself after finding the part for a lot less than $1,500. Since you did an engine reinstall in that car, I'm not too worried about you being able to take the console and shifter stuff apart.

See if the MA Carbon website has some good, applicable videos to show you where the trim clips and things are.
Yeah I am probably going to take it to Redline Porsche in Orange and have Jim put the shifter in. He won't be 1500.00 and I can get my oil changed. I didn't know the shifters had any components in them that relayed to the ignition.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 AM
randomhero
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi ocmacman,

Where you able to narrow down this issue?

I have the same problem however i can take out the key if i wiggle a little with the ignition and the tiptronic shifter.

i think this should be something related to a sensor/ gear cable not sending the right signal when the car is in Park position.

i’ve found a person in Porsche Club GB forums that seems to have it fixed but i dont have an account there.

Please Let me know if you have any new info or hints.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:18 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

the part numbers look the same for the 2005-2008 Tiptronic shifter on the 997 and 987 (Cayman,Boxster). 987.426.011.01 and for the 997- 997.426.011.01. Now I would assume one would fit the other. Does anyone know?
Old 03-02-2019, 03:41 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randomhero
Hi ocmacman,

Where you able to narrow down this issue?

I have the same problem however i can take out the key if i wiggle a little with the ignition and the tiptronic shifter.

i think this should be something related to a sensor/ gear cable not sending the right signal when the car is in Park position.

i’ve found a person in Porsche Club GB forums that seems to have it fixed but i dont have an account there.

Please Let me know if you have any new info or hints.

I am going to take the shifter out this weekend. From what the dealer told me when they "checked" out my car a few months ago was that a solenoid in the shifter was stuck and that's why the car was thinking it's not in park and hence would not release my key from the ignition. Now I guess I have to believe them since they are the "professionals" I would really like to know what that solenoid looks like. Will take pics and vid when I get in the garage.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So I just finished taking the console out. It was really easy! Probably the easiest job I have done on the car. So a couple of things to be aware of here. When you are removing the coin tray on the console under the PSM buttons etc. make sure to take care as the clips on the control buttons (wing, psm, etc) can break. It looked liked mine had been glued on previously from being broken.

Also I can't really figure out how the shifter works in conjunction with the ignition and the key. So any emijaneers please speak up. I cleaned the shifter a bit but nothing happened. I still don't know what "solenoid" the dealer was referring too. Anyone know where it is? Well I am going to order a shifter (used) tomorrow and hopefully get it by Wednesday. I have to get my car teched for a DE event by Friday. If all fails I will go to my indy and see what they can do. Should I be thinking about a new ignition switch too? The car starts fine and goes into each gear without fail or problem The only problem is the key won't come out when I put it in park and it wants to ask me to put it in park. So Here are a few pics for those that need to see how a tippy console is removed.

This is after removing the plastic brown trim no clips broken.

Here is the original shifter

Kinda messy but I cleaned it up a bit.

What is this push button thing?

console is out and sitting on my bench. May be a good time to get it leathered or painted.

Right before I am going to remove the shifter.
Again it was easy to remove and took me less than an hour.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:28 AM
randomhero
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work ocmacman, thanks for the pictures.

For me this seems to be a sensor / cable issue , before swapping the shifter ,i would recommend you to clean all the surface and connectors with a contact cleaner and a toothbrush.

Is there a microswitch inside the "push-button" thing? I would clean it too and check again.

Please post back any news!!

Originally Posted by ocmacman
So I just finished taking the console out. It was really easy! Probably the easiest job I have done on the car. So a couple of things to be aware of here. When you are removing the coin tray on the console under the PSM buttons etc. make sure to take care as the clips on the control buttons (wing, psm, etc) can break. It looked liked mine had been glued on previously from being broken.

Also I can't really figure out how the shifter works in conjunction with the ignition and the key. So any emijaneers please speak up. I cleaned the shifter a bit but nothing happened. I still don't know what "solenoid" the dealer was referring too. Anyone know where it is? Well I am going to order a shifter (used) tomorrow and hopefully get it by Wednesday. I have to get my car teched for a DE event by Friday. If all fails I will go to my indy and see what they can do. Should I be thinking about a new ignition switch too? The car starts fine and goes into each gear without fail or problem The only problem is the key won't come out when I put it in park and it wants to ask me to put it in park. So Here are a few pics for those that need to see how a tippy console is removed.

This is after removing the plastic brown trim no clips broken.

Here is the original shifter

Kinda messy but I cleaned it up a bit.

What is this push button thing?

console is out and sitting on my bench. May be a good time to get it leathered or painted.

Right before I am going to remove the shifter.
Again it was easy to remove and took me less than an hour.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There has to be a contact switch or proximity sensor somewhere for the vehicle to know it's in Park. If it's not in the shifter assembly itself, it could be on the transmission or the linkage somewhere. I doubt it's in the button, unless the button stays depressed at all times when the shifter isn't in Park
Old 03-06-2019, 11:40 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Hello all from rainy, soaky, Southern California. Really stormed today. I hope it gets away for the DE track event on Monday. Well the shifter came in the mail today. I picked it up after work and not to long ago pulled the old one out. This is what it looked like. Not in bad shape at all.

Old shifter with old part number

Top side view

So the new (actually used) shifter came with the actually new part number on it. I put it into the car, was really easy. I just unplugged some wires and the cable and voila in she goes.

New tippy shifter in

Not bolted down yet

So I connected the battery, turned on the engine and moved the shifter through the gears. Worked perfectly. Put it in manaul mode and worked great too. The true test came when I put the key in and then thank GOD the key came right out without any problems. Success. Now I know the actual ignition switch is a problem are with these cars so I'll be swapping that out after the track meet next week. . Here is video link.

Well I hope this does the trick. I will be getting the car teched on Friday so will update everyone. Thanks for all your input!

Quick Reply: 2006 911 C2S key won't come out