Replacing the PCM with aftermarket products

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 AM
CabrioStefa
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the PCM with aftermarket products

Dears,
I'm thinking to replace my PCM (997.2 C2S 2010) with an aftermarket DoubleDin.
some Sony, Pioneer, Clarion etc. that connect with latest Mobiles, Maps, gives me a back camera etc.etc.
I will (of course) keep the original PCM in a box, but effectively use hte new set-up.
Anyone did it ? your views? Can oyu help me with a PRO/CONS analysis ? Will i loose any functions on the dashboard?
Thanks
S.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 AM
Ian Lochbihler
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I intend to put this one in come springtime:
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_105KWM845B/JVC-KW-M845BW.html
Does wireless android auto and would allow live Google maps on screen via my phone data plan. I would add the extras they sell based on car model because then it would fit right bezel wise and keep your steering wheel controls. I don't really see any loses.
​​​
Old 01-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

There is a ton on this in the archives and on 6 speed online. Good luck. You are wading into a boat load of issues. Are you aware the amp and processor is under your passenger seat and connected to the head unit on the dash via a proprietary digital protocol? The speaker terminations are under that seat at the amp. Do your homework in the archives and keep note, the 997.2 is very different than the 997.1. Good luck, keep us informed.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-17-2019, 12:34 AM
CabrioStefa
8th Gear

thanks for the head-up (didn't know of this forum)
Cheers
S.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed a Kenwood AVIC headunit and also a backup camera with an Alpine amp to bypass the factory one. Pretty happy with the setup. Theres a kit i found on amazon with the head unit bezel and amp plug interface which allows you to plug into the existing connectors. The hardest part is running the rca cables through the firewall and the backup camera wires through the side gromment in the engine compartment. Also get the right adapter for the antenna interface. Theres a lot of members on here, so search is your friend. Once you install a new head unit, you have the advantage of keeping upto date with the newer features (ie carplay, dashcam features etc etc), as its pretty easy to swap one in. I kept my oem pcm just in case but its super outdated. You only lose the channel info on the dash.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 PM
Terp20854
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced PCM with an aftermarket unit - Non Bose 997.2 and no multi-function steering wheel so mine was probably a bit simpler.
The only things I lost were song display to the instrument cluster and PCM trip computer.
I gained bluetooth, streaming audio/XM, Android Auto / Apple Car Play, Waze Nav on the display, etc.
I had it installed and install service was worth every penny as they did it in about 2 hours. I kept my original PCM in case I ever sell it and new owner wants factory PCM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I did it, and not really recommended, especially if you have BOSE and like it, the sound will never be the same
Old 01-18-2019, 12:29 AM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
I did it, and not really recommended, especially if you have BOSE and like it, the sound will never be the same
I agree with this. I purchased my 2005 C2 with an aftermarket (crappy) radio. Someone had already removed the PCM. I installed a new Pioneer with apple car play, NAV unit with waze and a microphone to work the voice commands. I installed an alpine backup camera that looks like a license plate frame. The camera hides nicely under the bumper and is protected from the weather. The sound is good, but could be better. The original Bose sound was prob better.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM
CabrioStefa
8th Gear

hi, what exactly do yo mean by: " You only lose the channel info on the dash"..... like the trip information on teh PCM display, or the info on the LCD of the tachimeter ?
Also, do you still have the possibility to operate the sound system from the wheel ?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Terp20854
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean you lose the song / radio station info on the digital read out on the tach. Also my aftermarket head unit does not have trip computer function like the PCM, Though I kept trip computer data that is viewable on tach.

I can't speak to steering wheel controls as I don't have a multi-function wheel, but I believe you just need to buy and adapter to keep those buttons functional.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Oh boy..... some items, but again, I recommend you search the archives.

1 - The 997.1 PCM2, is a different system than 997.2 PCM3 for a ton of reasons.... sound, architecture, location of amps, integration with the car... etc. So folks are generous when they speak of their experiences with the 997.1 but.......
2 - Loss of channel info on the dash. Yes, above the steering wheel is a display for channel as well as navigation information... this will be gone... not sure if you get an error message or dashes or whatever.
3 - Loss of control of trip and other features IF you have Sport Chrono.... all the features and functions that work through the screen are lost
4 - Steering wheel functionality..... loss? sort of... I had the add-on module installed.... never worked right at all.... the spinning of the wheel was "way behind" and had to be spun three times as much to get the same affect say on volume.... sucked... and this is supposed to be some "industry standard" setup.... nothing is standard with the 997.2 system.
5 - Good luck... and remember, commentary about the 997.1 are not so relevant to the 997.2
6 - There is an aftermarket product that now translates the proprietary signals from a new head unit to the amp.... someone here knows the product, but it took literally years before it recently appeared on the market and I have not heard a review of its performance. Remember, you are seeking better sound.... just becomes something can make ungodly connections does not mean it sounds good. The .2 manages 5 channels.... the center one in the dash is the 5th.... I am not sure how this unit translates those signals when you are probably only installing a unit does not share this capability... who knows how the vendor implemented it.
7 - Best approach IMO, is replace both the amp and head unit. The issue with the amp is that there is very little room under that seat... seriously little room... and your selection of electronics become very limited. If you decide to put the amp in the front trunk... remember the speaker terminations are under the seat so you either have re-run everything, or splice from under the seat to the front trunk
8 - How do I know all of this? I went through this whole journey for my 2009 and ended up returning everything back to stock because we could not get the alternator whine out of the system. We had a an amp under the seat, then moved to "older" technology into the front trunk... filters.... blah blah blah..... dealer was stumped and gave me my approx $6K money back. Fooey
9 - In my experience: good luck!
10 - BTW, some have done the wholesale replacement and are happy. YMMV... did I say the 997.1 is different from the .2?
11 - I have done the big speaker replacement with Focal units.... had to install a special volume pot for that front center speaker because the Focals are less efficient..... a ton of work I did myself... requires tons of courage because you will Dremel the hell out of the speakers and the mounts in your car. Good results? Yes, but minimal. Not worth it. THe devil of this whole system is NOT the head unit or the speakers.... it is the processor/amp under the seat... but that is my opinion.

Here is a post where I described my installation of an L-Pad (volume pot) for the center speaker.... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...speaker-q.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-19-2019, 06:33 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Bruce for the info. Iceter and I were talking a while ago about upgrades and this came up. I'd love to replace my PCM3 though it sounds like it is still not pragmatic. If I had to put $6K into it, I would rather just sock that away for my Raby 4.0 fund.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I replaced PCM 3.0 with Pioneer w8400 NEX and am very happy with the results. I don't have multifunction steering wheel. I don't find any cons. I did a whole audio upgrade including amp, speakers, sub. It sounds so much better. I did the whole thing DIY, think my cost to do it all was around 2k.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I replaced PCM 3.0 with Pioneer w8400 NEX and am very happy with the results. I don't have multifunction steering wheel. I don't find any cons. I did a whole audio upgrade including amp, speakers, sub. It sounds so much better. I did the whole thing DIY, think my cost to do it all was around 2k.
If I run in to you at a local C&C let’s chat. Would love to see what you did.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:01 PM
Sharon Stewart
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
There is a ton on this in the archives and on 6 speed online. Good luck. You are wading into a boat load of issues. Are you aware the amp and processor is under your passenger seat and connected to the head unit on the dash via a proprietary digital protocol? The speaker terminations are under that seat at the amp. Do your homework in the archives and keep note, the 997.2 is very different than the 997.1. Good luck, keep us informed.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
How do I find the information in the Archives, please?
Thanks very much

Quick Reply: Replacing the PCM with aftermarket products